A RARR in Rem clothing

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

A RARR in Rem clothing

Post by bangbangping »

Dammit. I thought I was buying a Micro 7. It says "Remington Arms Model 7" on one side and "Advanced Armament Corp" on the other. Decent looking black composite stock, tapered, threaded barrel. It certainly looks like a Micro 7. Took it out this evening...75% misfire rate, and it doesn't feed worth crap. Ugh. I don't know how they did it.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: A RARR in Rem clothing

Post by dellet »

It has the same issues in some ways.

Short base to shoulder length and #41 primers will cause issues.

Pull the firing pin assembly, clean and oil it well.

There were some very early ones that had feed ramp issues so it might be worth calling AAC with the serial number.

A link from the day.
viewtopic.php?t=78366

I know there are pics of the difference in the feed ramps but could not find them right off.

One other thing that helps is how you load the magazine.

First round slide all the way to the back off the box. Next round slides back to where the base of the top is in front of the base of the bottom round. Otherwise the top round can drag the bottom round with it.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

This was new Lapua brass. On my gauge, 1.069 vs. the rifle's 1.075. Primers were CCI 450. Seems like it should work, .006" isn't that much difference. I did shoot 6 rounds of previously fired, longer brass without issue. I'll pull the bolt apart and clean it and see if that helps.

On the plus side, the trigger isn't terrible for a factory trigger. Nice and crisp and I was able to adjust it down to ~2 1/2 lbs. Not a Timney, but usable for now.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

I have been eyeing these for a few weeks. Is this a common problem?
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The problem was very common in the early rifles. The early ones had a double narrow feed ramp for a 223. AAC was repairing replacing those with a single 308 style ramp.

Here's a better thread:

viewtopic.php?f=137&t=78034

It's a very good rifle.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Mine has the single ramp.

The ammo I was shooting yesterday had an OAL of 2.2". The bullets were the 123 grain .310 bullets that were .309 after sizing, and that's as long as I could load them without being into the lands. The last round always fed, but many of the others came out of the mag at a steep angle and (I think) the brass mouth would hang on the top of the chamber entrance. The six longer rounds I shot had no issues. I was in a hurry trying to beat sunset, and combined with misfire issue I didn't have a lot of time to nail down the feeding problem. It was a bit disconcerting, but I certainly haven't given up on the rifle.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Just had a thought (scary, I know). I loaded these rounds where the bullet was just touching the lands. When chambered, the base would be against the bolt but the shoulder would be .006"short. The brass neck had been sized with a .308 sizer to facilitate neck turning, so there wasn't much bullet tension. It's possible this combination worked like a high primer can do, but with the entire case moving forward and absorbing the firing pin energy. I'm going to hang on to that happy thought as I shoot the first subs through it tomorrow. :lol:

Also loaded up five dummy rounds to mimic the rounds I fired yesterday. Loaded all five and cycled them, both with and without attention to how they were stacked in the mag. Ten attempts, and all rounds cycled without issue. No idea what yesterday was about.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

bangbangping wrote:Just had a thought (scary, I know). I loaded these rounds where the bullet was just touching the lands. When chambered, the base would be against the bolt but the shoulder would be .006"short. The brass neck had been sized with a .308 sizer to facilitate neck turning, so there wasn't much bullet tension. It's possible this combination worked like a high primer can do, but with the entire case moving forward and absorbing the firing pin energy. I'm going to hang on to that happy thought as I shoot the first subs through it tomorrow. :lol:

Also loaded up five dummy rounds to mimic the rounds I fired yesterday. Loaded all five and cycled them, both with and without attention to how they were stacked in the mag. Ten attempts, and all rounds cycled without issue. No idea what yesterday was about.

If that happens, just lift the bolt to cock the firing pin without pulling the bolt back and try again. That way you don't risk leaving the bullet in the barrel and the powder in your trigger :shock:

You can also try a couple of the failed rounds without powder and bullet to see if the primer will pop.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dellet wrote: If that happens, just lift the bolt to cock the firing pin without pulling the bolt back and try again. That way you don't risk leaving the bullet in the barrel and the powder in your trigger :shock:
I did that, and all fired on the second go.

Still have about 20 loaded that I didn't have time to shoot. I'll try measuring COAL before/after if they misfire to confirm the theory.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

bangbangping wrote:
dellet wrote: If that happens, just lift the bolt to cock the firing pin without pulling the bolt back and try again. That way you don't risk leaving the bullet in the barrel and the powder in your trigger :shock:
I did that, and all fired on the second go.

Still have about 20 loaded that I didn't have time to shoot. I'll try measuring COAL before/after if they misfire to confirm the theory.
I learned the hard way :oops: