Finally figured it out.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TMD
Silent But Deadly

Finally figured it out.

Post by TMD »

I've had my RARR in .300bo for about a year and have had a serious love hate relationship with it. I generally just target shoot at 50 yards and sometimes put some clays on the berm to pop them. Supers or subs didn't matter, this rifle was so inconsistent. One time I'll shoot a 5 shot group well under an inch, the next time I'd have a flyer or two and the next time it would be a two inch group. Eight different type / weight bullets and five different powders. With the chronograph I can have SD's in the single digits and still have a bad group. Free floated the barrel recently and did a trigger job bringing the pull weight down to well under two pounds. Even tried unsuppressed and two different suppressors. No matter, I was still inconsistent with the rifle. Well then last week after the trigger job and free floating the barrel I was going to give it one last try. If it didn't work someone was going to get a heck of a deal on this gun. Set up everything on the bench and when I went to move the rifle to get on target I noticed the reticle move around on the target when I shifted my head. Yup, parallax and bad. Like depending on how I adjusted my cheek wield over an inch in each direction. The scope I mounted on the gun when I purchased was a Leupold Mark AR mod 1 3-9x40. Nice clear optic with a fixed parallax for 100 yrds. So felt like a dumbass. I got home had took a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 that's been sitting in the safe taking up space, mounted it and went straight back to the range. Low and behold three different subsonic loads all shot under a half inch with five shot groups repeatedly. I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned and accept my humility.
Oh and don't even ask if the guns for sale.
RU Grendel
Silent Operator

Re: Finally figured it out.

Post by RU Grendel »

About half way through the post, my mind said "check the rings and scope!" Been there, done that buddy. Glad you figured it out. My RARR is climbing to the top of my favorite gun list quickly
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

RU Grendel wrote:About half way through the post, my mind said "check the rings and scope!" Been there, done that buddy. Glad you figured it out. My RARR is climbing to the top of my favorite gun list quickly
Yeah throughout this fiasco I checked the scope base and rings a few times just never gave the parallax a thought.
gunguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunguy »

I put a cheap Vortex Crossfire II on my RARR, once I got it dialed in man.. Like others have said, it's one of my favorite rifles. It's crazy how cheap you can load for these guns if your willing to put in a little effort prepping brass. I haven't really shot to many subs with mine, but mine really likes Speer TNT's and Nosler 110 Varm. I cliped the trigger spring, but for the life of me I can't get the trigger as light as i'd like?
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

gunguy wrote:I put a cheap Vortex Crossfire II on my RARR, once I got it dialed in man.. Like others have said, it's one of my favorite rifles. It's crazy how cheap you can load for these guns if your willing to put in a little effort prepping brass. I haven't really shot to many subs with mine, but mine really likes Speer TNT's and Nosler 110 Varm. I cliped the trigger spring, but for the life of me I can't get the trigger as light as i'd like?
I replaced the stock trigger spring with one from a ball point pen. I cut it two coils longer and bent the end flat. Also polished the sear surface of the trigger with a fine diamond stone. Consistent 1lb. 9oz. pull. Still a little creep in it though, nothing a set screw can't fix.
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

I was pleased with the accuracy of mine, considering that I mounted the scope a little too far forward, and left my rifle rest at home. Looking forward to a few more sessions to get it dialed in.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

Glad you got it solved. Every time I shoot this gun it amazes me.
Just yesterday went to the range with mine to sight in a new scope. It had a Nikon Inline XR muzzle loader scope on it. I chose it because it was compact which looks good on the gun and had the BDC reticle which really helps with the various loads I shoot in it.
Anywho, I robbed that glass for my latest AR build and bought a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 x 40 with the same BDC reticle in it. $99 to my door BTW.
We sighted it in for a 100 yard zero with my 125gr SST loads and no can. Then we played with my sub loads and supressor for it at 50.
My AMAX sub loads shoot hole in hole at 50 yards. Then once we figured out which reticle to use we shot some 90 grain XTP's and some 110 grain FMJs (30 cal carbines).

My 16 yo was hitting golf balls with it at 50 yards with those.
I wouldn't expect those pills to be that accurate. Even the guys at the pistol range next to us came over to see what we were howling about (and wanted to check the supressed set up out). They couldn't believe it either when I showed them the loaded round.

Gritty action, cheesy stock and mag, and el cheapo price even with the glass and mounts makes me all tingly. :mrgreen:
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

I see this a lot with my wife...haven't convinced her yet to think of parallax. Shooting our .22's at fly targets at 50, she'll run off a string of 10 or so and hit most of them. Then lift her head and shoot 1/2" off on the next string.

One thing that helps is to set up where you don't have quite a full field of view. If you can keep the dark edge centered, you're golden.
orbitup
Silent But Deadly

Post by orbitup »

bangbangping wrote: One thing that helps is to set up where you don't have quite a full field of view. If you can keep the dark edge centered, you're golden.
I didn't think of that! Thanks.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

That's why, for the last few years, I have only bought scopes with adjustable objectives. An additional benefit is a clearer view of the target. The bullet holes are easier to see.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D