RAR stock options??

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300_blackout

RAR stock options??

Post by 300_blackout »

I know about the MDT stock, that has issues mating with the RAR.
I'm curious if anyone has found any other manufacturers making stocks for the RAR.

I have reached out to Hogue and they don't have anything currently.
I also asked Boyds, they told me to ask Ruger if the RAR would fit into an American stock. Ruger responded that it did as long as it was short action. So that leaves me to consider trying a Boyds Ruger American short action stock. Has anyone tried this?

I thought about bedding my rifle but so far I have just put Bondo in the forend to stiffen it up a bit.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: RAR stock options??

Post by bangbangping »

I haven't tried this particular stock but will say that Boyd's in general are hard to beat if you want a stable stock without breaking the bank. I have several of them, and just ordered another for a Micro 7.

Just so you know, Boyds has a notice up that they are moving or something and not meeting their normal 10-14 day delivery spec. And they mean it. I have one on the truck right now that I ordered back in May.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Don't want to unfairly scare anyone away from Boyd's. I ordered one for a Micro 7 over the weekend and it just shipped. So apparently if you order something in stock you'll get it quickly, but if you choose custom options it may take a while.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

bangbangping wrote:Don't want to unfairly scare anyone away from Boyd's. I ordered one for a Micro 7 over the weekend and it just shipped. So apparently if you order something in stock you'll get it quickly, but if you choose custom options it may take a while.
That's because custom options are built to order.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

The Micro 7 "Classic Remington" stock came in. Based on the crappy Boyds photos, it looks identical to the "Classic Ruger":

If you're considering one of these, keep in mind that the vestigial cheek piece does not come up above the comb. I practically had to rest my chin on the comb to see through the scope. Not good for consistency. But my trusty century-old Stanley #5 jack plane made short work of the cheek piece, then a few minutes with sandpaper, tung oil, and a drill press resulted in this:
Fortunately I care more about function than appearances and it works like a charm. Fully adjustable for different shooters.

Just something else to keep in mind if your considering going this route. My guess is that the thumbhole stock would work better with a scope unless you don't mind a little modification.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Boyd's can put adjustable comb on many models

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/custom-o ... table-comb
Last edited by golfindia on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

golfindia wrote:Boyd's can put adjustable comb on many modelshttps://www.boydsgunstocks.com/custom-options/adjustable-comb
I did not know that.

Edit: Boyd says "It adjusts up to 1/2 inch above the surrounding comb height." That may be enough on a Ruger...wouldn't be enough for me on the M7 where 1" is about right with medium Signature Zee rings.

Anybody tried one on their Ruger?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I took my RAR stock and filled the front end completely with Acraglass. At least Ruger x braced the thing, unlike so many cheesy plastic stocks. Once it cured it added less than a pound of weight but took most all of the flex out. I do appreciate the steel bedding blocks for the action. You don't expect a rifle that retails for less than 400 bucks to have a BR stock. There is nothing out yet that fits right so I just improved on what was there.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
300_blackout

Post by 300_blackout »

Here is what I've been doing with mine. Even though I want an aftermarket stock, I have still been tinkering with it.
Metal reinforced Bondo and J-B Weld Plastic Bonder, it has added at least a pound but it is super stiff.
Next is the paint job. Still in the works, I'm waiting for some Digital stencils to arrive from Amazon.
Primer

Olive Base coat
Pistolpeta
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pistolpeta »

Dang!
looking good man!