RARR misfires

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DutchV
Silent But Deadly

RARR misfires

Post by DutchV »

Took my new RARR to the range today and shot 59 rounds of Remington supersonic greenbox (aka WalMart ammo). One round didn't fire after three attempts.

Do I chalk this up to bad ammo? Or do I worry that the rifle is not quite right, and call Ruger about it? I've read the other threads about the RARR misfires, and it appears that my bolt is the newer type. I'm going back next week so I'll have more data then. So far I'm not too worried but figured I'd ask. I just got the scope mounted. Haven't cleaned it at all so maybe that would make a difference. Thoughts? I also had some feeding issues but they were not consistent so I'm going to shoot it some more. I'd like to see this one be 100% reliable, if that's possible.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Re: RARR misfires

Post by TMD »

If you read through most of the post related to misfires in the RARR they all seem to have one common denominator, REMINGTON AMMO.
RU Grendel
Silent Operator

Post by RU Grendel »

1/60 with "cheap" ammo.....I'll take those odds any day! A lot of people have had issues with the green box ammo. Don't sweat it.
I'd say your feeding issues are in line with everyone else as well. The mags have been issue-prone and caused feeding problems with certain ammo
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

+1 Rem ammo
Feeding will improve after the sharp edges are worn off.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

You're fine. When you start getting like 4-6 duds per box like I did, then it's time to call Remmy and get them replaced.

The shoulders on some batches weren't up to spec. Resulted in too much "shoulder crush" with the cartridge pushed too far in the chamber.

Otherwise, these 120gr Barnes ammo are the best/cheapest factory supers out there.
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

I had a chance to run another 60 through today. Had two failures to fire, and the misfeeding only happened twice. I've got two magazine so I guess it'll take longer to get them broken in. I did notice small notches on the feed ramp of the magazines, and gave them a light stroke with my knife to smooth them out. That may have helped.

I wanted to get the rifle settled in before I started adding options like a cheek rest or a nicer bolt handle. Looks like I've got a keeper.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Per what I have read and two friends who bought RARRs that would fail to fire, Ruger has a serial number range of rifles made that had some bolt parts that were not to spec. Call Ruger with your serial number and ask if yours is in that range. If yes, they will fix it right away.

On one, they needed the whole rifle back. On the other they just needed the bolt back. I believe their rifles were in the serial range of 50,000 to low 60,000. My two are on the low 30,000 range and function fine. Others on the forum had to have theirs fixed by Riger.

To the Forum: Anyone live near DutchV that could run his ammo through your Sheridan gage? Let's get his rifle at 100%.

Ps. My friends tried a myriad of ammo and primers and checked the ammo with my gage before getting Ruger involved. Both rifles are now 100% with all ammo. IIRC, one needed a new extractor and the other a new firing pin spring, but I may have that wrong.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Dutch,
Do you have a comparator? To check the shoulder length of the rounds that won't fire. if you reload you should.

Or do you reload and have a way to cut a piece of brass off at the neck Straight?

If you can cut a piece of brass at the neck and size it to reduce the body diameter, you can use that.

This is basically what you will be making

As far off as the Remington rounds have been that I have seen, you'll be able to find the bad ones in the box. Most of what I have seen they are .020" shorter than the rest.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

This Dutch, if you form them to your chamber you will not have any problems. As said many times, it's some Ruger but it's a lot Barnes, Hornady, ect.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

I plan to reload this caliber but have not done it yet. The lure of cheap Barnes ammo at WalMart was too strong. I do own the Sheridan gauge, but did not expect to need it for factory ammo. That's a good idea, though, since I've been having issues. I'll give that a try on new rounds as well as the three duds so far. I figure that I'll reload for this once I'm comfortable that it's okay. By then I should have plenty of fire-formed brass to keep things running awhile.

Where would a guy get a comparator? And which model? I have a bullet ogive type, but nothing sized for cases. Haven't had issues with other stuff I've reloaded.