RARR won't chamber first round...

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

mech5700
Silent But Deadly

RARR won't chamber first round...

Post by mech5700 »

Load 5 rounds, insert mag, bring the bolt home and 80% of the time, the first round seems to end up tilted too high, hits above the chamber, then jams up. If I slide the first round to the front of the mag before inserting it, it will reduce the occurrence of the FTF but not 100%. If I bring the bolt in fast, slow, soft, hard, doesn't seem to make a difference. Anybody experienced this before? I think I may contact Ruger on this one... it happens way too often.

Do you guys have exposed threads just outside the chamber likes this? You can also see the copper mark above the chamber:

Hard angle to get with a camera, but you can see the round tipped up and wedged in there:

A little closer look:

What do you guys think?
mech5700
Silent But Deadly

Re: RARR won't chamber first round...

Post by mech5700 »

Note, it happens with the 220gr Sierra's and the 150gr Hornady FMJ's (both are hand loads)

On the plus side, this thing is stupid accurate... I normally shoot at 200 yards and this handles it no problem. Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff BDC coupled with the Spot-On app works great. They also have a good amount of loads to choose from, just enter the fps and you are good to go.

This also happened today, I guess the 220gr sub just couldn't quite make it thru the hard rubber this time at 200 yds.

ScottC

Post by ScottC »

I'm sure others will chime in with more detailed info. I've experienced this problem and it has to do with the gap between the lips on the magazine. Some mags are to tight and hold on to the cartridge base too long. This causes the tip of the bullet to pop up too high and hit above the breach. The solution is to scrape away some of the mag feed lips. I have 3 mags, two have been modified some and one not. Guess which one gives me the most problems. In the field a temporary work around is to retract the bolt just a little (not far enough to catch the next round) and push the jammed round down with your finger.

---Scott.
mech5700
Silent But Deadly

Post by mech5700 »

Thanks Scott, I did some more research and found that guys are doing that for multiple different types of feed problems.

Did some trouble shooting too: the release on the original mag broke, ruger sent me a replacement. I swapped the release tab to the old mag and it works a lot better thankfully. I'm just glad it's not an issue with the gun.

Sent an email to ruger, hopefully I can get another mag as well. Meanwhile, I'll get to trimming.

Andy
13brv3
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 13brv3 »

Yep, sadly I have the same problem, and I do see the threads like in your picture. As I mention in my earlier thread, I had 2 rifles and 6 magazines then, and all combinations had the same problem.

viewtopic.php?f=137&t=96464

I do have better (not perfect) luck with factory 220 gr (long and very pointy) rounds. For reloads, the best luck I've had is with the Leatherhead 220 gr RN bullets. I'm still trying to shoot up some 203 gr Palmetos that were previously loaded and it's a total frustration. The first round always jams, regardless of how many rounds I load in the magazine. For these bullets, the last round also jams.

I tried opening up the feed lips in the front, and I kept opening it up until the first round fed every time. Then of course it jammed on the other rounds... I would absolutely love the rifle if it weren't for the feed issues. I ended up selling one, and I might sell the other one if I don't eventually solve the feed problems.

Cheers,
Rusty
mech5700
Silent But Deadly

Post by mech5700 »

Rusty, did you ever get in touch with ruger?

I hope I can cure this, I love this rifle. It's my first bolt gun, and might be my favorite rifle I have. Nothing beats that mouse fart shooting with the can... and I just looked back at my records, only paid $360 for it. Fantastic shooter, especially for that price point.
13brv3
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 13brv3 »

I haven't called Ruger, but once I get rid of the 203gr Palmetto bullets, and move to the more feed friendly 220gr Leatherheads, I'll probably give them a chance to make them work.

When I first had the problem, people had been saying that ruger would send you the new style magazine, and it was better, but not necessarily trouble free. Since all my magazines were already the new style, and likely from different batches, it didn't seem likely that another magazine of the same type was going to be the solution. I've been hoping an aftermarket company would make a non-rotary magazine to try, but I haven't seen one.

Once I clear about 500 rounds of the Palmettos out, I'll be ready to get back to work on this issue. BTW, an adjustable gas block that can be closed on an AR is just as quiet :-)

Cheers,
Rusty
RU Grendel
Silent Operator

Post by RU Grendel »

I've had the same problem. Seems to only happen with 5 rounds loaded in the magazine though. Once I get the first one in the chamber (usually by hand), the issue seems to go away. So I have been only loading 4 and haven't had the hangups. I was hoping the more the mag gets used, the better it will get.
mech5700
Silent But Deadly

Post by mech5700 »

So I got a reply from Ruger:

Response:
We would like to take a look at your firearm to address your concerns. Please contact our Product Service Department at 336-949-5200 with the serial number to have an RMA number issued for return. If you are calling from a state that has firearm restrictions (CA, CT, NY Etc.) we recommend you have your local dealer contact us for the RMA number. Thank you for your patience.

I'm hesitant to send it back... I'd rather try to modify the mag first, sending it back as a last resort. Yall agree?
13brv3
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 13brv3 »

I've been hesitant as well to send the rifle back, but I might some day. If they said they had some modification or upgrade to fix the problem, that would be worth sending, but more often it just seems like the standard answer is "send it in", regardless of what the problem is.

Good luck,
Rusty