General purpose 300 BLK bolt gun... 1-4x24 Razor HD or Leupold VX-R 2-7x33?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

curious sam
Silent But Deadly

General purpose 300 BLK bolt gun... 1-4x24 Razor HD or Leupold VX-R 2-7x33?

Post by curious sam »

So I'm waiting for a stamp for my Model 7. I'm going to put a Krieger stainless barrel on it that will be flush with the end of the stock and a 30-P1 attached to that. 12.5"-ish inch barrel. I'm expecting it to be a handy little sucker for deer out to 150-ish and pigs as far away as I can hit those dirty bastards.

I picked up a Vortex Razor HD 1-4x24 along the way. The reticle is FFP and works pretty well out to 275-300 yards with my theoretical drops. I'd more or less decided to put that on the rifle.

Then I got to looking at the new Leupold VX-R 2-7x33...

It is 7.5 oz lighter.

If I understand correctly, it can be ordered with a reticle that is customized to my exact specs for drops, and then an elevation dial that could be set up for subs.

That is appealing.

Is anyone using a set up like that for supers on the reticle and subs on a dial? If so how is it working?

I think I have a date with a sunset and my Razor and VX-R 3x9x40. I'll be curious to see what dusk looks like side by side.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: General purpose 300 BLK bolt gun... 1-4x24 Razor HD or Leupold VX-R 2-7x33?

Post by tallburnedmidget »

curious sam wrote:So I'm waiting for a stamp for my Model 7. I'm going to put a Krieger stainless barrel on it that will be flush with the end of the stock and a 30-P1 attached to that. 12.5"-ish inch barrel. I'm expecting it to be a handy little sucker for deer out to 150-ish and pigs as far away as I can hit those dirty bastards.

I picked up a Vortex Razor HD 1-4x24 along the way. The reticle is FFP and works pretty well out to 275-300 yards with my theoretical drops. I'd more or less decided to put that on the rifle.

Then I got to looking at the new Leupold VX-R 2-7x33...

It is 7.5 oz lighter.

If I understand correctly, it can be ordered with a reticle that is customized to my exact specs for drops, and then an elevation dial that could be set up for subs.

That is appealing.

Is anyone using a set up like that for supers on the reticle and subs on a dial? If so how is it working?

I think I have a date with a sunset and my Razor and VX-R 3x9x40. I'll be curious to see what dusk looks like side by side.
I don't own either one but I can say that the Vortex you have should have a leg up on the Leupold.
I always recommend people get a scope with the best of both worlds where you have dots/sub tensions as well as quick/tactical turrets. FFP is also AWESOME, in my opinion.

I do own the Leupold 300BLK scope and it has both I have effectively hunted and killed with both supers and subs using that scope with zero work other than sighting in and doing lots of shooting to see where things hit super vs sub.

I also own the Nikon P-22 BDC which has BDC dots and quick/tactical turrets. I haven't done nearly as much super vs sub shooting but man do I like being able to write down my zero's for supers and subs with it and just dial over in like 3 seconds to be ready to hit my mark between the loads. I believe with a 100yd zero with my supers I hit zero in the middle of the 2nd BDC dot at 50yds with my subs. I need to check my notes though as I might be off on my exact hold over dot. I also wrote down the clicks to bring the 50yd zero for subs right to the cross hairs but didn't do enough shooting to see what my BDC's then looked like at further distances.

Anyhow best of both worlds will be dots/subtensions and quick/tactical turrets. I hope this info helps :)
curious sam
Silent But Deadly

Re: General purpose 300 BLK bolt gun... 1-4x24 Razor HD or Leupold VX-R 2-7x33?

Post by curious sam »

I'm curious to see how the Razor 24mm looks vs the 40mm of the VX-R at dusk. Just started turning over the possibility of the 2-7 yesterday - between the superbowl and work I've yet to catch a sunset. I"m assuming the 33mm will be at least in the ballpark of the performance of the 40mm.

If the 1-4 has a real edge in clarity the additional 45 minutes of drop might be a deciding factor.