AICS mags for Magpul 700 Hunter stock with Magpul bottom metal....

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rb288
Senior Silent Operator

AICS mags for Magpul 700 Hunter stock with Magpul bottom metal....

Post by rb288 »

A long title for a possibly short question and answer.....

I installed a Magpul Hunter 700 stock on my Remington 700 300blackout.
I am interested in the Magpul bottom metal and 10 round mags, but, have read good and bad about the
aics type mags.
Does anyone have experience with this setup and can you guys advise which mags will work best, Accurate, AI, metal, plastic?

I'm totally in the dark about these, as I have read positives and negatives about all of them.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments, or critiques.

Thanks.
I may have been on the losing side, but, I'm not convinced it was the wrong side.
kroeker
Silent But Deadly

Re: AICS mags for Magpul 700 Hunter stock with Magpul bottom metal....

Post by kroeker »

Well... The accurate mags are metal and what I wish I had but at 80ish each they're hard for me to justify. I haven't heard anything bad about the mdt mags yet and they run the same price as aics mags. I have 2 aics mags for my Remington 700. Mines in a different chassis than what you're talking about but I don't see what that'd matter.

My 2 mags were OK at first. They fed most of the bullets I load but had problems with the flat nose cast lead bullets. The feed angle wasn't right and they'd just ram into the breech face. Sucked bad enough I quite loading them. Then I left both mags loaded for a few weeks and after that the bullets would pop out and I'd get stove pipes a lot. Needless to say they were close to going in the trash bin.

But I managed to fix they. I used a small c clamp that put pressure on the mags to squeeze the feed lips together. I used a dummy round for this so I could adjust the clamp to get the right feed angle I wanted. Then I took a propain torch and lightly heated them up. Then just let them cool before I took the clamp off. Since I did this they've worked 100% with ALL the bullets I load including flat nose cast stuff. All in all I'd buy more of them but I'd clamp and heat them up right away. Since I did it I've also left them loaded numerous times for extended amounts of time and they still work perfectly.

Really wish someone would make a steel mag in the 30-40 dollar range.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

My friend who is a master gunsmith modified his Remington 700 to accept the AI mags long before Magpul came out with their kit.

If you are worried about Matel looking Plastic not being 100% then buy the AI mags and don't give it a second thought.

You get what you pay for.

Steel mags don't make a magazine good. It is having a magazine in spec that works. Metal doesn't mean quality, it doesn't mean it works.

Look at the poor design of the AR-15 magazine. There really has not been a company that has addressed the inherent flaws. They throw anti tilt followers, Teflon coatings, yet still use a spring that will compress completely (which is bad)
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
rb288
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rb288 »

Thanks for the replies.

I bought a couple MDT plastic 10 round mags and the work perfect.
They hold 10 rounds and feed without any problems, so I got the answer to my question.
I may have been on the losing side, but, I'm not convinced it was the wrong side.
Mad River Arms

Post by Mad River Arms »

rb288 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I bought a couple MDT plastic 10 round mags and the work perfect.
They hold 10 rounds and feed without any problems, so I got the answer to my question.
That's what I'm using and I noticed that loading them takes a little more effort than just about any other mag I have ever used. The fit in the magwell is a little tight too so definitely not going to "drop free".
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

It makes you wish manufacturers would just come out with 10 round mags or do the r&d and make a 20 round double stack single feed mag. If they did this for their guns then we wouldn't need to drop so much cash changing it.

Magpul lately with their AK line as been introduce a cheap MOE mag and work out the bugs and then introduce a partial metal 25.00 mag that works reliably.

My buddies AI mags work reliably for his .308 but I didn't know they made .223/5.56/300 blackout mags too.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
WilliamSS2025
Silent Operator

Post by WilliamSS2025 »

rb288 wrote:A long title for a possibly short question and answer.....

I installed a Magpul Hunter 700 stock on my Remington 700 300blackout.
I am interested in the Magpul bottom metal and 10 round mags, but, have read good and bad about the
aics type mags.
Does anyone have experience with this setup and can you guys advise which mags will work best, Accurate, AI, metal, plastic?

I'm totally in the dark about these, as I have read positives and negatives about all of them.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments, or critiques.

Thanks.
I was wondering if you got this working? I was thinking about getting the same setup for my sub gun. but i didn't know how it would feed the heavy subsonic bullets like the cast noe 227 HPs.Thanks for any input.
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

I'm using the magpul stock/metal and magpul AI mags on my 308, have only put a few dozen rounds through it with the setup but haven't had an issue.

Just put my 300blackout in magpul stock/metal and using the mdt .223 AI mags over Christmas. Only taken it to the range once using reload mostly 110vmax and some factory supers ammo, no long bullets yet. Only complaint I have is that when loading the mags the case mouth of 300blackout being further back then .223, the base of the new round would always get stuck on the neck of the round in there...just need more practice loading the mag's I'm sure but it was a bit annoying.
Dover

Post by Dover »

The 223 MDT mags will hold a cartridge with a COL as long as 2.6 inches. I plan to load my 300 Blk rounds for my Rem 700 AAC long. I haven't tested this yet. I just got the mags and need to install the magpul hunter stock. I will report how well they feed.