Bolt Action SBR Build Input

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dboutfitters

Bolt Action SBR Build Input

Post by dboutfitters »

Any folks out there with SBR bolt action builds under your belt? Going to kick off a Rem 700 bolt action build right after the new year.

I have 2 matching Rem 700 SPS AAC SD 300 blackouts. Both shoot lights out with my reloads. Going to Form 1 one of the receivers and am shooting for a finished barrel length in the 8" range. Will be mounting the rig in an MDT LSS folding chassis that I'll shorten to accommodate the barrel and suppressor.

Will be shooting subsonic suppressed exclusively. Still debating between:

1) having the Remington barrel cut, re-crowned, re-threaded and reinstalled (already know it shoots great so pending a quality recrown and rethread should be good to go)
2) going with a full custom match barrel (more money but since this isn't a long range precision rig is it worth it?)
3) going with a remage setup (like the idea of being able to install myself, especially with the SBR setup)

any input would be appreciated.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bolt Action SBR Build Input

Post by TMD »

If you already have two of the same guns and are happy with the accuracy of each you might as well cut one of them down. If cut and crowned correctly accuracy won't be effected.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

Why not use a 16"+ integrated barrel/suppressor? You won,t have to sbr your action and you save a tax stamp?
You could set up the Rem 700 as a switch barrel for more versatility.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

I like the integral idea too. You could run a really long light weight alloy or titanium can to make it mouse fart quite. Port the barrel, do all kinds of gun nut bat crazy sh#!. Putting a tax stamp on a Remington 700 is weird to me. Then again you would be the cool kid on the block. I mean really who the heck has an sbr 300blk bolt action anyway? Oh and I'd also just have the factory barrel cut down. Subs are not generally going to be super accurate anyway. Plus you could always yank the barrel and go custom if your unhappy with it. JUST MAKE SURE TO POST PICS!!! Good luck!

R
jreinke
Silent Operator

Post by jreinke »

I gotta Remington 788 in 222 Rem I picked up a few years back just for this purpose. I figured it'll be the perfect platform as with the locking lugs in the rear, the end of the barrel is at the forward edge of the ejection port....so no ejection problems. This is on my to do list.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
dboutfitters

Post by dboutfitters »

i thought about the integral idea but want to be able to break it down and pack it in a backpack so am going for minimum footprint. with a folding stock and no can it should fit about anywhere. plus i've got a couple of 30 cal cans already and don't want to permanently attach them as they float between several guns.

i'll definitely post pics when finished. just sent off my form 1 and as soon as that is back i'll be headed to the gunsmith. already spoke to a gentlemen in my area who initially said what the f then got excited about helping with the build.
13brv3
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 13brv3 »

Good luck with the project. I've got two RARRs in 300 BO, and I plan to eventually SBR one of them. I just have too many other project, and another upcoming move, so it will have to wait.

Cheers,
Rusty
TenTwist

Post by TenTwist »

Build it as a pistol. Just use a Sig brace.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Build it as a pistol. Just use a Sig brace.
Id like to see that work on a factory RIFLE :roll:
s11033

Post by s11033 »

I was considering SBRing a bolt gun, but then I decided I might build a straight pull bolt action AR upper instead and put that on my SBRed lower. Would give me magazine commonality too! I'll be posting a thread about it in the AR section.

Steve

Edit-

Posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=97904
Last edited by s11033 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.