RARR light primer strikes anyone?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

takiniteasy88
Silent But Deadly

Re: RARR light primer strikes anyone?

Post by takiniteasy88 »

I have ordered the the gauges and should have measurements next weekend.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Called up Ruger last week and sent in my RARR bolt. Was getting occasional misfires with Remington 220gr subsonics mostly.

Got a new bolt back in less than a week. Pretty sure it's a brand new one since the placement of the serial# is different from what I remember.
I guess it's ok for them to simply laser etch the same serial# on a new replacement bolt?

Also noticed the extractor is smaller than the original. It's no longer as flush with the lug edge.
The biggest difference I noticed is the much louder sound when dry firing. It's definitely louder. So most likely a stronger firing pin spring on newer bolts.
Hulley

Post by Hulley »

rimshaker wrote:Called up Ruger last week and sent in my RARR bolt. Was getting occasional misfires with Remington 220gr subsonics mostly.

Got a new bolt back in less than a week. Pretty sure it's a brand new one since the placement of the serial# is different from what I remember.
I guess it's ok for them to simply laser etch the same serial# on a new replacement bolt?

Also noticed the extractor is smaller than the original. It's no longer as flush with the lug edge.
The biggest difference I noticed is the much louder sound when dry firing. It's definitely louder. So most likely a stronger firing pin spring on newer bolts.
Kinda glad to hear this. I went back to the range a few days ago and was still having 5-7 FTF per box of Hornady 110gr Vmax, but everything else fired just fine. I've tried about 5 or 6 different ammo brands and weights.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

80hp wrote: I have had failure to fires with my RARR, but I am positive it is ammunition related. I bought 100 factory primed Remington 300 AAC Blackout cases to save for a bolt action 300 Blk. The first loading, I had about 15 FTF's due to the shoulder being too far back. The light loads I fired did not have enough pressure to push all the shoulders forward so on the 3rd loading, I still had 3 FTF's using CCI #400 primers.
I used my Bergara Encore barrel to test my theory. The FTF brass went into the Bergara's chamber too far. Also the primers had backed out of the pockets by a few thousandths.
LC formed brass that had been fired in the Bergara chamber, fired 100% of the time.
M.
Once all the shoulders of the Remington brass had been blown forward, I have had NO FTF using CCI #400 primers.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

My friend that sent his whole RARR back to Ruger got it back. Invoice said extractor replaced and it successfully test fired 3 different factory loads (1 was Remington Subsonic, 1 was Barnes 110gr IIRC, and I don't remember the 3rd load). His RARR now fires flawlessly.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

My customer is a millineal PIA. He has traded his rifle that I had a shipping label for the bolt ( this kid is a spaz, but a good kid ). I'm going to go ahead and pack mine up after taking some pics. Tired of waiting on his ass.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

We would appreciate some pictures of the bolt head, before and after return from Ruger!
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Pic of new bolt from Ruger. Sorry forgot to take pics of original.
I think they etched my serial# on a new bolt and just swapped my bolt handle.

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I sent my bolt off Tuesday this week, it arrived back to my shop today. With a new magazine. Note in box said " Returning to customer Mr. rebel (OWNER) Bolt serial ###-##### with new extractor assy. and new mag. Sending NDA. WOW. Talk about a quick turn around. The serial is the same on the bolt body. My pics from my phone are crappy 80 hp but I can't see any noticeable difference in extractor dimensions. It feeds better for sure, as I tried the flat nosed 125s in it. I can post the pics but rimshaker's looks like a magazine pic :oops: I doubt you can derive anything of it.
I checked the mag dimensions by eye and it seems as if the rear lips maybe slightly wider. Last day of deer season tom. so I'm taking the a.m. hours to try my best at popping one. I'll take some measurements of the mag opening this weekend. Awesome speed on this repair. We will see if problem is solved.
edit- for what it's worth. Original RARR bolt before repair.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

The one thing I do notice, and did by eye but rimshakers pic made it clear, is that the new extractor sits lower, providing more tension. Note my pic and you can see mine was sitting flush with the bolts outer surface.