RARR light primer strikes anyone?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: RARR light primer strikes anyone?

Post by Whole Bunches »

A friend of mine (not on this forum) is also having light primer hits with his Blackout RARR. Checked the headspace of rounds with my Sheridan gage, and they are fine. Ruger is sending a label to ship his rifle back to the factory. My 2 RARR's function fine in Blackout.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

My contribution to this thread will be different. I've had multiple light strikes on reloads with my RARR, and they were due to deep-seated primers. I lessened the depth of primer seating and the problem went away. I think that the same depth fired on my ARs. I did not try the FTF rounds in the ARs.

I have shot nothing but reloads thru this rifle.

I have not taken apart the bolt.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

wouldnt not seating the primers all the way into the pocket probably increase your likelyhood of a misfire?

the way i understand their operation of a primer is the anvil inside the cup has to bottom out in the pocket so that the cup can collapse on it and get ignition.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

plant.one wrote:wouldnt not seating the primers all the way into the pocket probably increase your likelyhood of a misfire?

the way i understand their operation of a primer is the anvil inside the cup has to bottom out in the pocket so that the cup can collapse on it and get ignition.
That is how I understand it also. My guess is the striker/firing pin's "reach" is shorter than typical and that the deep seated primers are a bit out of range for a full strike.

I am seating primers at or a few thousandths below flush. If they are "crush seated" or whatever people call deep seated primers, the RARR tends to not light them up.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
superspirit

Post by superspirit »

I dont know what the answer is here, I seat my primers fully with an RCBS Hand primer, I use CCI #41 military primers, and I dont have a problem. I use factory remington ammo with barnes brass and I have a nearly 40% FTF rate. I think it has to do with the shoulder height of the Brass. I'm using LC formed brass by gabe. GBC brass i think is his website, and they all work great.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I have talked with Rebel a lot about this and it's a tough call. There is some ammo that he has, and some he sent me, where the shoulder is on the short side of spec, that did not fire. But I have fired shorter in my rifles.

As far as I know, no one has measured their ammo before attempting to shoot and that is really what needs to happen. This is one of those times where "Passing the gauge" really is not a good enough answer.

Rebel's conversation with Ruger was interesting. They wanted the bolts back because of a "known extractor issue". The only way that made sense to me, was if the problem was the extractor being so tight that the shoulder was crushed back before the rim of the case could snap into the bolt.

Since the problem mainly seems to be with factory ammo, I wondered if a soft shoulder from annealing could also be part of why handloads with converted brass never seem to have a problem.

So if someone that has a comparator takes the time to measure factory cartridges before chambering and after if it fails to fire, that would be one way to tell if the shoulder is being pushed back while chambering, increasing headspace.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
crashnrondo

Post by crashnrondo »

Add me to the FTF club, I called Ruger today and she immediately said I had to choices, with use two different brands of ammo or send my bolt in for an upgraded extractor. I'm sending mine in since I hardly ever shoot factory, I did try to get a case under the extractor and I think dellet is on to something since it's really hard to get the rim under the extractor.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Today I found another shooter at the range that had been having failures to fire. His RARR came to the same gunshop in the same shipment as my friend's RARR that is having failures to fire. He called Ruger and they said to only mail back his bolt (my friend had to ship his entire rifle). The other shooter got his bolt back yesterday (around a week turn around), and his RARR is now firing flawlessly. Ruger replaced his extractor, but he doesn't have any other info on it other than the extractor appears to now be stronger in holding the case.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I had a friend and customer drop by the shop today and told me he had some ftf's with Barnes 110 factory and his Remington. As I said, the bolts are showing weaknesses in ammo manufacturing processes and firearm design. Obviously there are issues with some of the RARRs and its good to here Ruger is on it. After deer season I will send mine back but hope to send my customers RARR first since he has had more issues ( doesn't handload) . As said by dellet, the next time you factory ammo shooters go to the range, take the time to measure twenty rounds with a Hornady LNL headspace gauge and record it. Measure any ftfs and report back. Thanks.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
mr.revolverguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mr.revolverguy »

I too have had a few misfires with my RARR but I am not sending the bolt back and here is why. All factory ammunition have fired just fine and I have done extensive testing with over 120 different variations of ammunition to be seen here http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3817

What I have noticed is that with Fiocchi Small Rifle Primers and WCC Brass is where my light primer strikes have all been. Even more interesting if I load LC or factory brass with these same primers they ignite. I just can't mix WCC brass and Fiocchi Small Rifle Primers. I have even seated some of them very dangerously in using my RCBS bench Primer in crushing the cup on a few of them to make sure they were all the way to the base of the primer pocket. I have also seated some very lightly.

Unless I am hard on my luck in finding other brands of primers I do not intend to purchase anymore Fiocchi primers. This statement is not made to bash Fiocchi as I have had great luck with them in 223 loadings.

Self Proclaimed -- The largest independent 300 Blackout reloading database.
http://www.dayattherange.com