RARR light primer strikes anyone?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: RARR light primer strikes anyone?

Post by rebel »

Order the Hornady headspace kit, while you are at it get a bullet comparetor set. Cheap tools for what they give you. Take the 350 gauge insert your fire formed case and get a caliper measurement. Dellet turned me on to this when comparing loads and brass so we could compare apples to apples. Great tool and a great additition to your kit. Think of like - Sheridan gives me proof my stuff will work, the Hornady gauges give a measurement that you can accurately, and share it with your load book and us.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

OK guys, I have contacted Ruger twice today. The first answer wasn't satisfactory so I called again and pushed for more technical assistance. Still didn't get past the first customer service rep but she did offer to send me a call tag to send my custumers bolt in to change the extractor. Is this a fix? I am not sure but had her issue two call tags for my customers and my own. I'll give it a whirl and measure fireformed brass after I get it back. Stay tuned.......
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

Be sure to post before and after pictures of the extractors, please.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

We'll do. dellet and I have discussed, his idea for this fix is that maybe the extractor is tight causing it to bump the shoulder back before there is enough pressure to snap the rim into place. I don't have access to my customers rifle, mine doesn't seem as finicky so I'm not sure I can duplicate a test on brass with mine. Gonna try though. When I do get his rifle, I will perform a few tests to see if there is any setback on the shoulder.
takiniteasy88
Silent But Deadly

Post by takiniteasy88 »

Ok I do not have any real information yet but I did take my RARR out and shot 20 rounds each of UMC 120's, Barns 110's, Hornady 150's with no issues I also shot 30 various hand rolled rounds and still no light primer strikes. As soon as I get time I will measure unfired and then the fired brass, but working 60-80 hours a week is not giving me much free time.
superspirit

Post by superspirit »

The RARR I bought for my grand daughter is having this problem also. I have no way to get all the measurements, but I can say the problem for me only existed with factory remington ammo. I had 5 FTF's in 14 rounds yesterday. I went back to the range today with my hunting load for this rifle which is 18.1 grains of lilgun and a cci 41 primer with a nosler 125 SST in Gabe's LC brass. the RARR has devoured over 40 of these rounds and never had a problem. caution load may be above listed data use at OWN RISK!

solution for me is never buy factory ammo, what I produce is far superior.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

superspirit wrote:The RARR I bought for my grand daughter is having this problem also. I have no way to get all the measurements, but I can say the problem for me only existed with factory remington ammo. I had 5 FTF's in 14 rounds yesterday. I went back to the range today with my hunting load for this rifle which is 18.1 grains of lilgun and a cci 41 primer with a nosler 125 SST in Gabe's LC brass. the RARR has devoured over 40 of these rounds and never had a problem. caution load may be above listed data use at OWN RISK!

solution for me is never buy factory ammo, what I produce is far superior.
That is a fact 95% of the time.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Agreed - but I'm an FFL that owns a store, has a customer with a problem and I see fellows here having the same issue. I would have never known as all that had been fired in mine was my reloads. So I need to do all I can for a young man that spent his hard earned $$ on a rifle that doesn't shoot stuff he buys. BTW - for what it's worth - I sold him some Hornady 110 gr Vamx and all rounds fired. From reports in this thread it seems the problem with factory ammo are widespread but intermettent among manufacturers. I have my return labels for bolts and hope to be sending his off soon. Pics will follow.
superspirit

Post by superspirit »

Well keep us posted, from what I've read on a couple of forums about this problem it seems the chamber is too deep for some ammo, are they going to replace the bolt with one that changes the headspace to fix this problem?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

rebel wrote:OK guys, I have contacted Ruger twice today. The first answer wasn't satisfactory so I called again and pushed for more technical assistance. Still didn't get past the first customer service rep but she did offer to send me a call tag to send my custumers bolt in to change the extractor. Is this a fix? I am not sure but had her issue two call tags for my customers and my own. I'll give it a whirl and measure fireformed brass after I get it back. Stay tuned.......