RARR light primer strikes anyone?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: RARR light primer strikes anyone?

Post by Whole Bunches »

I'll put this out in case it can help someone.

Before I got my 2 RARR's, I had a few failures to fire in my Daniel Defense 10.3" Blackout upper (no failures in other uppers and rifles other than with hard primers in bolt action and single shot guns). Checking loaded rounds in my Sheridan case/chamber gage I found some rounds had had the shoulder set back too short (a touch less than minimum) when I sized the case. Up to this point, I'd simply screwed in the sizing die until it touched the shell holder. Ultimately I found that with my sizer die I had to unscrew the sizer die out 1/2 turn from touching the shell holder, and that would give cartridge headspace between max and min, tending more to the max side...no more failures to fire with that upper.

Subsequently I also found that when Forming Blackout brass from cut down .223 brass, I had to screw the sizing die to again touch the shell holder or the resulting cases would have excessive headspace. Note: My sizing die is an old Redding 221/300 one, so your mileage may vary and maybe Blackout specific dies do a better job than my old die set.

Thus, when my RARR's arrived I was already using brass with proper cartridge headspace (or rather brass within SAAMI specs). Other than finding my RARR's don't like hard cup primers such as Wolf KVB223M (I now use CCI 400 and Wolf KVB223 in the RARR's, my Handi, and Remington & and 700 with NO failures to fire), my RARR's have been running fine (and need to run fine as I use them for hunting). My Blackout AR's use Wolf/Tula KVB223M, as I started out with them, worked up my AR loads with them, and have about 25,000 of them left to use.
shawns

Post by shawns »

I sent mine back due to same issue with Barnes vort-x 110. I would have 5 F.T.F. Out of 10. Got my replacement last week from Ruger and sighted it in. Still had a 1 light primer strike out of 15 or so. I did notice that the unfired round has a shoulder that is shorter than the the other rounds. Hope it was just one out of spec round since the others fired just fine.

Other than that, it's a tack driver!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

As mentioned previously, it's as much or more the ammo mfg. than Ruger. Though my Ruger has a long chamber, it pops in spec ammo well as long as non - magnum primers are used.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
SFZX

Post by SFZX »

I realize how old this thread is! But the crazy thing here is that remingtons UMC ammo still has some ridiculously set back shoulders even now on the shelves at academy in our area. 4 out of twenty are dropping into a wilson case gauge .023 deeper than the minimum should be. Only ammo I've had problems with is remington with barnes headstamp. All others have been flawless through the gun.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

SFZX wrote:I realize how old this thread is! But the crazy thing here is that remingtons UMC ammo still has some ridiculously set back shoulders even now on the shelves at academy in our area. 4 out of twenty are dropping into a wilson case gauge .023 deeper than the minimum should be. Only ammo I've had problems with is remington with barnes headstamp. All others have been flawless through the gun.
This is the ammo that caused my miss fires. NEVER a problem since I stopped using it.

(I only bought it to get my first batch of brass!!)

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
gunenthusiast36

Post by gunenthusiast36 »

Fired my RARR for the first time today shooting hand loads using Hornady factory brass, CCI#400 primers, 17.7 gr. of WIN 296, and Hornady 110 gr. SPs; also loaded 20 rds. w/100 gr. short jackets with 16.5 gr. of WIN 296 to see how they would do. Had 1 failure to fire out of 100 and it went on the 2nd try. I was initially very worried I would have several. Im thinking about switching to Federal primers for this rifle as I have read they are considered to have a very soft cup.