Ruger American Ranch SBR?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

texflip
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Ruger American Ranch SBR?

Post by texflip »

If I was going to SBR a bolt gun it would be a Savage. Barrel nut wrench and a vise and you can swap out barrels like an AR.
13brv3
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 13brv3 »

texflip wrote:If I was going to SBR a bolt gun it would be a Savage. Barrel nut wrench and a vise and you can swap out barrels like an AR.
Unfortunately Savage doesn't make a 300 BO barrel. I believe they stated they were unable to get a suitable accuracy with it, and they abandoned the project. I'm sure barrels can be made, but it would certainly be beyond the scope of that I'm looking to do.

FWIW, I'm trying really hard to resist doing this.

Rusty
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

13brv3 wrote: Unfortunately Savage doesn't make a 300 BO barrel. I believe they stated they were unable to get a suitable accuracy with it, and they abandoned the project. I'm sure barrels can be made, but it would certainly be beyond the scope of that I'm looking to do.
Suitable accuracy? I call BS.
Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magnum Mike »

I think it's a great idea. So much so that I'm considering doing the same with my R700 AAC-SD. I'm thinking about chopping it to 10", that'd put it in the 16-18" length area with can attached...
michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member

John 3:3

Check out our web store @ http://www.accuratearmsandammo.com
13brv3
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 13brv3 »

rimshaker wrote:
13brv3 wrote: Unfortunately Savage doesn't make a 300 BO barrel. I believe they stated they were unable to get a suitable accuracy with it, and they abandoned the project. I'm sure barrels can be made, but it would certainly be beyond the scope of that I'm looking to do.
Suitable accuracy? I call BS.
Google found the post I remember reading. It's specifically subsonic rounds they were talking about:
https://www.facebook.com/SavageArms/pos ... 4912793549

It may be an excuse, but I haven't seen enough accuracy from subsonic rounds to say they're wrong. The Ruger is way better than I've seen from ARs, but it's not exactly going to win matches. It's as good as anything I could wish for, and I'm looking forward to trying some supersonic rounds, which I expect to be better.

As much as I try to resist the SBR Ruger, I still have "6970" written on my to-do list. My current rifle is the longer version, and I think I'd like the shorter version better. Of course the ATF is getting slower and slower with form 1 approvals, so that's sort of unmotivating me a little.

Cheers,
Rusty
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

I would SBR it and cut it 1/2" past the end of the stock. With reloads you can adjust for accuracy if need be. Go for it. I have a encore I have been want to SBR and cut.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

13brv3 wrote:Greetings,

One of the things I like about the 300BO is the fact that it works well with short barrels. For my general plinking activities, I shoot nothing but suppressed subsonic loads, and my SBR plus suppressor is still a "normal" overall length. My plan was to just stick with SBR ARs.

As I was experimenting with various SBR AR uppers, I bought a RAR just to see how much quieter it was without the action noise. This turned out to be good and bad, because now I really like the RAR, with the exception of the length. It's far more accurate than any of my ARs have been, and it's quiet and clean. The only problem is that it's so long with the suppressor, which leads me to the question of the day.

If I were to convert a RAR to SBR with a shortened barrel, would it be less accurate? I've always read that barrel length doesn't have anything to do with accuracy, but my only 16" 300BO pretty much embarrasses the 9" 300BO ARs, so I'm almost afraid to cut it off. How well do you think a RAR would shoot with a 9-10" barrel?

Thanks,
Rusty

Hey Rusty,

I'm starting to think of the same thing. Did you ever SBR yours?
13brv3
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 13brv3 »

BlogSarge wrote: Hey Rusty,

No, I gave up on the idea, and even sold both of my RARRs. I just couldn't bring myself to go through any more SBR hassle.

I already had an SBR AR-15, but I hate how filthy it gets, and wanted to eliminate the action noise. That was my original reason for looking into doing an SBR for the RARR. I eventually realized I could build a second upper with a short barrel, closed gas block, and a reciprocating charging handle receiver. With no gas, and the buffer & spring removed, it essentially becomes a straight pull bolt gun. It's probably my favorite gun now, quiet, clean, and it shares all the AR parts. Best of all, I didn't need any additional SBR paperwork and hassle, since I already had the receiver.

Cheers,
Rusty
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

13brv3 wrote:

No, I gave up on the idea, and even sold both of my RARRs. I just couldn't bring myself to go through any more SBR hassle.

I already had an SBR AR-15, but I hate how filthy it gets, and wanted to eliminate the action noise. That was my original reason for looking into doing an SBR for the RARR. I eventually realized I could build a second upper with a short barrel, closed gas block, and a reciprocating charging handle receiver. With no gas, and the buffer & spring removed, it essentially becomes a straight pull bolt gun. It's probably my favorite gun now, quiet, clean, and it shares all the AR parts. Best of all, I didn't need any additional SBR paperwork and hassle, since I already had the receiver.

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty,
Any problems with the bolt/carrier becoming unlocked when there is no spring holding it forward, either when firing or when carrying/handling? Or how do you ensure the bolt remains in the locked position?

Thanks. I have a side charger upper (OPS-4), and when it's not on the lower and thus no buffer spring pressing against the back of the carrier, all I have to do is hold it with the muzzle pointed up and the bolt unlocks and carrier slides backward.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

13brv3 wrote:

Cheers,
Rusty
Sounds like a nice setup. Of course, it is just a fairy tale with no pictures... just sayin'!