Bolt vs H&R

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ka30270

Bolt vs H&R

Post by ka30270 »

Anybody have any experience with both? I have owned one Handi and it wasn't anywhere near as accurate as any bolt I have owned even with handloads.

Thanks
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Re: Bolt vs H&R

Post by 0uTkAsT »

I don't have a .300BLK H&R to compare to my Ruger American .300BLK, but for what it's worth I did have an H&R .45-70 Ultra Hunter that was a tack driver compared to my Marlin Guide Gun in the same caliber, with or without handloads. I had a .223 H&R Survivor briefly as well, and it was plenty accurate for varmints and such... I can't say that I ever put it on paper side by side with my .223 Savage or any of the ARs, but I don't remember ever wishing for more.

I grew up shooting H&Rs (dad was a big fan, and my first two guns were both H&Rs he got me when I was a kid) but overall the single shot thing just got old. I think I had five or six of them at one point, down to just two shotguns now for beater snake guns to keep in the truck. Bottom line, in my opinion, it's not worth it to get a single shot over a bolt, unless it's just your thing or you want a spare gun for others to shoot or something.
ka30270

Post by ka30270 »

Thanks for the reply.
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

I cant give an accuracy comparison because I don't have the same optics setups to truly compare them but, I have both the remington 700 and the h&r, with Nikon p300 on the 700 and Vortex strikefire on my handi. If I am planning on trying to hunt I take my 700 for having a semi-quick follow up shot if needed BUT its stock is heavy, I don't shoot for groups but I'm more than comfortable with the accuracy of it to take it (small) deer hunting. Driving around looking for varmints and anything for fun I'd choose handi, nice and light...and a great giggle factor, especially with a can on it.
N2130N
Silent But Deadly

Post by N2130N »

I have a Micro seven & got dad the handi. Those things are TINY! Too small I think.

Between that & only having one shot dad quickly traded it. Never really shot it enough to see how accurate they are.
WTB: exotic ammo! AP, tracers, etc. Money waiting, whatcha got?