Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Post by Whole Bunches »

pruhdlr wrote:Yeah, ..... it is NOT a pic nor is it a 1913 type. I's a bastard scope base. Wondering if that is why the bases on the 6968 guns are of the two piece variety.

I believe that I will go ahead and order a base for my gun,just in case I want to try my thermal on it,then I'll have it "in stock". EGW makes some good stuff ... will check with them first.

If anyone out there has done this,please post you reccomendations. Would REALLY like to have a steel base but chances are really slim of that. --- pruhdlr
I'm "ok" for now, after all, I did get a hog last night with my American Ranch Blackout w/thermal mounted, but if you order one, please order another for me. Thanks,

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=1359
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

Will do .... but first ..... will give them a call on Monday to make sure that these bases are compatable with our guns. I do like the looks of these bases. Small overhang up front and the slots go all the way aft on the base. This is what I am looking for.

Stands to reason that a base for a Ruger American SA would fit a Ruger American Ranch SA --> BUT ..... ?? --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
jvt

Post by jvt »

80hp wrote:
jvt wrote:I fired mine for the first time and need some suggestions.
my first box of hornady only 10 fired. 10 miss fires. second box was Remington and 18 fired two didn't.
do you need to oil something??
the firing pin makes a good dent in the unfired rounds but not as deep.
American ranch 300blk.
jim
Actually cleaning oil off the firing pin and its hole in the bolt can help.
FYI-I suspect ammo makers are loading 300 B with hard primers for use in AR's.
Also, they may not be getting the head space just right.

I had box of 100 Remington factory primed 300 Blackout brass that I was saving for a bolt rifle.
I loaded it for my RARR and had about 20% misfires. All except one fired on the second strike.
I checked some in my Bergara barreled Encore and many had the shoulders pushed back too far.
After the first firing, they fire formed themselves to the the RARR's chamber. I primed them with CCI #400's and they fired 100%.
I use Lee dies and my brass is interchangeable between a T/C 300 Whisper barrel, a Bergara 300 Blackout barrel and a RARR in 300 Blackout.
ruger wanted it back when I said misfires. the ups truck picked it up today postage paid by ruger.
i'll fill you in when I get it back.
jim
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

INFO re. The Scope Base From EGW.

I called EGW yesterday and talked to them re. what base to order for my RARR. They stated that it would be the same base that fits the Ruger American SA. Their (EGW) product ID is 46150. ( EGW phone # is 215-538-1012 )

The EGW site has the demensions for the hole spaceing but I have a scope mounted with some super wide Burris Extreme Tactical rings and did not want to have to dismount the scope and rings.

The above listed base demensions are --> center hole to canter hole = 3.01"
--> base OAL = 6.670"

This base is exactly what I was looking for. A full 1.670" over the supplied base with a small amout of overhang over the bbl. I will give you more options,fore and aft,for ring placement OR placement of my thermal. --- pruhdlr
STONER 63A / XM177E2
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

AND --> many thanks to OuTkAsT for the info on the trigger (page 14). I did my trigger and came out great. I held the small spring with a small set of needle nose pliers. I marked the spring as to cut off 1 1/2 coils with a bright blue marker,and then held it against the top part of a small cut off wheel turned by my Dremmel. I used some water in a small dish to cool the spring every 5 seconds or so.

My trigger breaks at 3lbs 2.2ozs every time as measured by my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. No creep and it snaps like breaking a glass rod. I have since shot a group that was .332",5 shots,at 50yd. AND,with the FACTORY Barnes 110gr TAC-X (black tips). This with a Zeiss Terra 2-7X32 on top.

Whats not to like about this gun/ammo,combo. --- pruhdlr
AND --> also wanted to mention that the muzzle/thread protector supplied with the 300BLK Handi Rifle fits perfectly on the RARR. IMO ..... looks better also.
STONER 63A / XM177E2
jvt

Post by jvt »

jvt wrote:
80hp wrote:
jvt wrote:I fired mine for the first time and need some suggestions.
my first box of hornady only 10 fired. 10 miss fires. second box was Remington and 18 fired two didn't.
do you need to oil something??
the firing pin makes a good dent in the unfired rounds but not as deep.
American ranch 300blk.
jim
Actually cleaning oil off the firing pin and its hole in the bolt can help.
FYI-I suspect ammo makers are loading 300 B with hard primers for use in AR's.
Also, they may not be getting the head space just right.

I had box of 100 Remington factory primed 300 Blackout brass that I was saving for a bolt rifle.
I loaded it for my RARR and had about 20% misfires. All except one fired on the second strike.
I checked some in my Bergara barreled Encore and many had the shoulders pushed back too far.
After the first firing, they fire formed themselves to the the RARR's chamber. I primed them with CCI #400's and they fired 100%.
I use Lee dies and my brass is interchangeable between a T/C 300 Whisper barrel, a Bergara 300 Blackout barrel and a RARR in 300 Blackout.
ruger wanted it back when I said misfires. the ups truck picked it up today postage paid by ruger.
i'll fill you in when I get it back.
jim
They called and said everything checked out ok in my rifle . a cleaning was done of the bolt and 40 rounds fired flawless.
it is on the way home. Unknown cause of my misfires but rugers disassemble and cleaning of my new American ranch fixed it.
I am really happy about the way ruger handled this. The phone call from them and a long talk was much appreciated. Many questions were asked and answered.
wookie
Silent Operator

Post by wookie »

I finally picked up the two RAR's today from Cabela's. Gentleman said price was $439.00, I said "no it is $379.00" because the rain check I had. It took some phone calls to the big manager that quoted the lower price.
Then I ask if they have military discount and they give a 5% discount so each rifle cost 360.99
Now I have to get out to the range.
wookie
Silent Operator

Post by wookie »

Thanks for the info on EGW, I have two bases enroute, I swear I was pulling my hair out trying to figure why my one piece scope mount would not fit!!
firedavis
Silent But Deadly

Post by firedavis »

Okay I haven't read the whole thread but would like to tell my personal experience and opinions. I bought the ruger ranch on a random impulse buy. I have two other blackouts both Noveske built AR's. I just got my omega suppressor in and threw it on my ruger for its first outing. This is my third suppressor also and this setup is ridiculously quiet and accurate. I shot 125 SST's, 110 Barnes, 208 a max subs, and Lehigh defense 194 subs. All shot the same POI @ 50 yards. I plan on using this setup for hogs and exotics in Texas. I have killed hogs with each of these rounds and this rifle will deliver it exactly where I want the shot placed. Trigger is good and accuracy is impressive! I will update with kill
Pics once I get in the field. If your considering buying one just do it you won't be disappointed!
MissouriEd

Post by MissouriEd »

Greetings to all. I am new to the forum. Thanks to all for the great first hand info. I pick ip my RARR 300 BLK rifle in the morning. Will put on a spare scope and do reloads over the weekend. Hope to get to the range first of next week.