Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Post by cwlongshot »

0uTkAsT wrote:
cwlongshot wrote:Curious why you don't like the pad... Its tackiness helps a lot in unusual situations. Plus LOP is pretty short already, is a shorter stock needed for you?

CW
I absolutely loathe sticky rubber recoil pads... The tackiness hinders much more than it ever helps. The LOP after removal is still adequate, I'm 5'8" and barrel-chested, so anything from 12-13.5" LOP works for me.
Well that's what makes the world go round I guess...

Good thinking and application to your own preferences!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

cwlongshot wrote:
0uTkAsT wrote:
cwlongshot wrote:Curious why you don't like the pad... Its tackiness helps a lot in unusual situations. Plus LOP is pretty short already, is a shorter stock needed for you?

CW
I absolutely loathe sticky rubber recoil pads... The tackiness hinders much more than it ever helps. The LOP after removal is still adequate, I'm 5'8" and barrel-chested, so anything from 12-13.5" LOP works for me.
Well that's what makes the world go round I guess...

Good thinking and application to your own preferences!

CW
Indeed, and thank you! Merry Christmas everyone!

I may get a Glades Armory bolt handle for mine soon:

Last edited by 0uTkAsT on Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

I bought my Ruger blk yesterday. Mounted a loaner scope on it and took it to the range today. Accuracy was marginal, but I noticed no high pressure signs on my hot hand loaded ammo, a big plus for me as most of my reloads are on the hotter side. The mag wouldn't reliably feed more than 3 rounds. When it was loaded with a fourth or fifth round, they would turn nose down in the mag, causing miss-feeds nearly every time. Ill be buying a Nikon P300 for it shortly. 190gr subs were quiet, but I'm looking forward to making some 110gr subs loaded with 5gr Trailboss. Those rounds were deathly quiet in my handi.
Addicted to the silence.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

With further loading and unloading the mag, the gun now cycles nearly 100% with loads as short as 2.050oal. On a side note, the mag easily holds six rounds :mrgreen: .
Addicted to the silence.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

MajorTom wrote:With further loading and unloading the mag, the gun now cycles nearly 100% with loads as short as 2.050oal. On a side note, the mag easily holds six rounds :mrgreen: .

I saw the six round count on the 223 mag and 5 on the 300??? When I first loaded I could only get 5 in. Seemed strange, just like you after using a couple times I too can now get 6 in two of the magazines. One other still only loads 5??
Sorry to hear of the accuracy issues. Try different loads, mine is exceptionally accurate. At first the fact rem 220 subs where worst accurate at 2" ish. next couple trips it shot sub 1 MOA.

My first 150g loadings and IMR 4227 and 296 has proven top accuracy at 1/2MOA.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

New to the forum, thought I would chime in on the RARR. So far, the loads developed in my 16" AR carbine have not shot near as accurately in the Ruger. I did notice the barrel was touching the end of the stock channel, especially when shooting with a bipod and can attached.

To open the stock clearance up, I wrapped some 150 grit sand paper around a mini maglite AA version. This diameter was a great fit to open up the clearance. Looking good now, but sub zero weather is on it's way and will keep me at the loading bench until it warms slightly. So far, I like the little rifle. Next will be a polish and removal of the sharp edge of the feed ramp. This should make it feed a bit smoother.

A final note: those Barnes Tac-TSX 110's are some accurate SOB's! At .60 cents each. gonna start chargin' the coyotes a tax before I shoot :) Happy Holidays from Helena, MT.
BlasterPastor

Post by BlasterPastor »

Got my RARR for Christmas!! Put a Harris bipod and a Nikon M-300 on it. Now just gotta shoot it.

One interesting problem with the gun out of the box - the magazine that came with it is either broken or for a completely different caliber because my Barnes black tips roll right out. I was able to get a new magazine at a local shop so I can shoot tomorrow. But I'll have to call Ruger to get the one that came with it replaced.

It's not about what you've done. It's about what was done for you. - The Gospel
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

BlasterPastor wrote:Got my RARR for Christmas!! Put a Harris bipod and a Nikon M-300 on it. Now just gotta shoot it.

One interesting problem with the gun out of the box - the magazine that came with it is either broken or for a completely different caliber because my Barnes black tips roll right out. I was able to get a new magazine at a local shop so I can shoot tomorrow. But I'll have to call Ruger to get the one that came with it replaced.

My RARR came with a .308 magazine. My LGS swapped it for the correct one.
The correct magazine should look like this:
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
MudHog

Post by MudHog »

Hi Everyone!

First post here and registered after my recent purchase yesterday at Cabela's. :mrgreen: I had some built up Cabela's points on my card and called the Gonzales, LA store to find out they had a Ranch in 300BLK in stock. Put the gun on hold and made the hour and a half or so drive yesterday to pick it up. $456 out the door and I didn't pay a dime out of my pocket for it. Now to decide on a scope and bipod for it as this gun will be mostly a bench shooter, with an occasional hunting trip mixed in. I have dies on order from Midway and now researching load data.

Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK. Bone stock at the moment.
jvt

Post by jvt »

also new. I need to find a sight for mine. what type of iron sight do you put on it?
jim