Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Buckeyebill

Re: Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Post by Buckeyebill »

I am very happy with mine so far.

Just received three additional magazines from Ruger.

Everything is working just fine. 8)

Bill
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

Buckeyebill wrote:Image
I am very happy with mine so far.

Just received three additional magazines from Ruger.

Everything is working just fine. 8)

Bill
Great pictures! Glad to hear you're enjoying it...

Are you in AZ by chance Bill? Looks like the area around Tonto and I'm assuming your screen name refers to the town of Buckeye? If so maybe we should get together and shoot sometime.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

Twinsen wrote:Well, SWFA to the rescue again. If I could replace all my scopes with SWFAs, I would. I have some dumb 3-9 monarch on my 44 mag. Ohhhh I wish it was a fixed 6x SWFA.
I keep fighting the urge to get one of their 3x15 scopes . I know I dont need that much magnification for the 300 blackout but I think more magnification would'nt be a bad thing for my tired old eyes .
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

More progress today. I've settled on a scope and got my homemade sling pretty much the way I want it, now I'm on to fixing some of the stuff I didn't like... Replacing the sticky rubber buttplate with a hard plastic one (which also drops 1/2" LOP and 1.5oz), cleaning up the sharp and ugly edges on the stock, swapping the studs for fixed sling swivels (dropping another ounce and making it quieter than two-piece QD swivels), and smoothing out the internals some more. I may also replace that ridiculous looking piece of styrofoam in the stock with something better looking and more substantial - I know it's inconsequential to the weight and performance but now that I know it's in there and what it looks like it's going to bother me. :roll:

DavidNorris

Post by DavidNorris »

Hi everyone,

New member here, found this forum searching the net for RARR aftermarket bolt handles. I purchased my RARR last week and put a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on it and can't wait to get it out to the range. Anyone tried a red dot on it yet?

Im going to be using it with 220gr subs at >50yds for wild pigs and also want to try 130gr supers out to 100yds but need to figure out hold over and decide the best optic options. Might have to get good at guestimation or just dedicate the red dot to subs

Love this forum and thanks for all the info
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

I got the homemade buttplate done today. Although its not perfect looking, it's very functional. My main goal was to get rid of the tacky rubber that grabs clothing when shouldering, so it does that and also had the added bonus of dropping another 1-1/2oz of weight and 1/2" from the stock (LOP now measures around 12-1/8"). I made sure the texture I added doesn't snag fabrics but is enough to keep it steady on the shoulder so it won't slip. It's not quite as clean looking as I had hoped it would turn out, but my tools were limited to a Dremel with sanding drums and a soldering iron, so I did the best I could with what I had. It is a working gun after all so function comes before form.

cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Curious why you don't like the pad... Its tackiness helps a lot in unusual situations. Plus LOP is pretty short already, is a shorter stock needed for you?

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

cwlongshot wrote:Curious why you don't like the pad... Its tackiness helps a lot in unusual situations. Plus LOP is pretty short already, is a shorter stock needed for you?

CW
I absolutely loathe sticky rubber recoil pads... The tackiness hinders much more than it ever helps. The LOP after removal is still adequate, I'm 5'8" and barrel-chested, so anything from 12-13.5" LOP works for me.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

jwb47 wrote:
Twinsen wrote:Well, SWFA to the rescue again. If I could replace all my scopes with SWFAs, I would. I have some dumb 3-9 monarch on my 44 mag. Ohhhh I wish it was a fixed 6x SWFA.
I keep fighting the urge to get one of their 3x15 scopes . I know I dont need that much magnification for the 300 blackout but I think more magnification would'nt be a bad thing for my tired old eyes .
Too much can make you shoot terribly. I think 3-15 is a great range, but I'd bet you'd never benefit from over 10x with 300 BLK.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

Twinsen wrote:
jwb47 wrote:
Too much can make you shoot terribly. I think 3-15 is a great range, but I'd bet you'd never benefit from over 10x with 300 BLK.
probably not . I get by with my 2.5 x 8 mk4 pretty well , But life would be boring if we just stayed in the same rut all the time .