Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

leid

Re: Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Post by leid »

The current RARR standard model 6968 300 BLK with the longer LOP stock comes with (2) short bases, each approximately 1.175" long VS the full length one piece base seen on the earlier RARR compact model 6970.

NRA Life Member
Cartridge Collector
M4-2000/762-SD/RARR/AAC 9" 300BLK
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Shooter54 wrote:We just got the short LOP version in 300. Now we are trying to decide on the suppressor.
We have an SDN6 for the AAC 9" but that is the only one we are familiar with.

My son asks me about the Silencerco Omega 7.62 but I am not familiar with it.

Being a bolt gun, we are going to chase "cat sneeze" quiet this time with reloads.

Can I hear from some happy customers that might recommend a can for the RARR?

Thanks for all the support,

Shooter
The Omega would be perfect for the RARR since it's lightweight, and can be direct threaded. And you have the option of it on other rifles using ASR mounts.

I'm happily using the Saker on mine, but it's definitely heavier than the Omega.
jvt

Post by jvt »

I fired mine for the first time and need some suggestions.
my first box of hornady only 10 fired. 10 miss fires. second box was Remington and 18 fired two didn't.
do you need to oil something??
the firing pin makes a good dent in the unfired rounds but not as deep.
American ranch 300blk.
jim
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

jvt wrote:I fired mine for the first time and need some suggestions.
my first box of hornady only 10 fired. 10 miss fires. second box was Remington and 18 fired two didn't.
do you need to oil something??
the firing pin makes a good dent in the unfired rounds but not as deep.
American ranch 300blk.
jim
Actually cleaning oil off the firing pin and its hole in the bolt can help.
FYI-I suspect ammo makers are loading 300 B with hard primers for use in AR's.
Also, they may not be getting the head space just right.

I had box of 100 Remington factory primed 300 Blackout brass that I was saving for a bolt rifle.
I loaded it for my RARR and had about 20% misfires. All except one fired on the second strike.
I checked some in my Bergara barreled Encore and many had the shoulders pushed back too far.
After the first firing, they fire formed themselves to the the RARR's chamber. I primed them with CCI #400's and they fired 100%.
I use Lee dies and my brass is interchangeable between a T/C 300 Whisper barrel, a Bergara 300 Blackout barrel and a RARR in 300 Blackout.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Finally I got my Ruger 300BLK. First tested for accuracy using a conventional 3-9x scope mounted with scope rings. Testing done, I went to mount my ACOG TA33 300BLK scope with ACOG factory mount.

It would not mount! The Ruger scope rail base has unevenly spaced grooves such that the ACOG mount will not work. Another ACOG was tried...no go.

OK, lets mount my Nivisys UTAC 32-M thermal sight with built-in La Rue mount...because of the uneven spacing of the grooves and differing groove widths, I can't mount it near the rear of the scope rail, it will only mount around the center of the rail, away from perfect eye position for me.

I have now send feedback to Ruger. Perhaps they never figured that someone would want to mount $900-$1000 and $5000 optics on a Ruger American?

Has anyone else experienced this, or are you all using regular scope rings that can be moved back and forth along the scope body until lined up with the grooves in the scope rail?

Thanks,
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

You didn't happen to do any kind of measurements while the one piece scope base was "slick" did you ??

I tried to get some but with the rings and scope attached it is impossible. In order to see if my thermal will fit adaquately(far enough rearwards)I would have to take the scope and rings from my RARR and the thermal off my 6.8. With both guns shooting so darned great I really hate to do this if possible. Wondering ............ who makes the scope base for Ruger and would they send me a drawing ??

And --> my gun was really dirty and oily from the factory. I did not strip the bolt but probably should. I took off the scope base and it was super oily. Really looked to be thicker than oil. How stoooopid of the factory to do that. I cleaned well and reinstalled the screws with Gun-Tite. The bottom of the action was terrible also. To the point of having small pockets of oil in the corners of the stock ribs,by the beding "V" blocks. --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Whole Bunches wrote:Finally I got my Ruger 300BLK. First tested for accuracy using a conventional 3-9x scope mounted with scope rings. Testing done, I went to mount my ACOG TA33 300BLK scope with ACOG factory mount.

It would not mount! The Ruger scope rail base has unevenly spaced grooves such that the ACOG mount will not work. Another ACOG was tried...no go.

OK, lets mount my Nivisys UTAC 32-M thermal sight with built-in La Rue mount...because of the uneven spacing of the grooves and differing groove widths, I can't mount it near the rear of the scope rail, it will only mount around the center of the rail, away from perfect eye position for me.

I have now send feedback to Ruger. Perhaps they never figured that someone would want to mount $900-$1000 and $5000 optics on a Ruger American?

Has anyone else experienced this, or are you all using regular scope rings that can be moved back and forth along the scope body until lined up with the grooves in the scope rail?

Thanks,
Ruger used to use Weaver rails, is that a possibility?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

Yeah, I was thinking that somebody probably makes an aftermarket base for the Ruger American since it has been out and about for some time now. Hopefully the same base will the Ranch.

What I really want is an extended base that hangs over in front about an inch and has evenly spaced notches that go the full length fwd and aft. --- pruhdlr
STONER 63A / XM177E2
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

EGW makes a picatinny rail for the American. In various reviews, the authors call the Ruger American Ranch rail a picatinny rail...IT IS NOT PICATINNY. I have given feedback to Ruger...they need to say what kind of rail it is and/or use a real picatinny rail.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

Yeah, ..... it is NOT a pic nor is it a 1913 type. I's a bastard scope base. Wondering if that is why the bases on the 6968 guns are of the two piece variety.

I believe that I will go ahead and order a base for my gun,just in case I want to try my thermal on it,then I'll have it "in stock". EGW makes some good stuff ... will check with them first.

If anyone out there has done this,please post you reccomendations. Would REALLY like to have a steel base but chances are really slim of that. --- pruhdlr
STONER 63A / XM177E2