Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Didn't know if it was worth starting a new thread or tagging on in this one so I'll bring this one back. I just added a RARR to my collection but am having a little trouble with it beating up my bullets when chambering and was hoping one of Yal could point me in the direction of figuring out what I'm doing or what the rifle is doing wrong.

I'm getting these "chips" we'll call them in my bullets when they are chambered. This is an exaggerated example that has been repeatedly chambered to make the problem more obvious for a picture. It isn't just my PC'd cast bullets or even just my hand loads. Albeit much worse on the softer leather heads it can be seen on my jacketed bullets as well. My guess is these marks are from where the round is trying to enter the chamber still at a heavy angle from leaving the magazine and getting over the feed ramp and then being forced align with the chamber. Any of ya'll seen this before?
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

You probably have a sharp edge on your chamber or other surface that contacts the bullet. The problem will likely go away with use. Meanwhile, it will probably not effect function or accuracy.
Hint: The rifle will feed better if you give the round more crimp. The case mouth can catch on the edge of the chamber. Your example looks like it has no crimp.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
teegee52
Silent Operator

Post by teegee52 »

Try the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Titan Reloading has the best price I've seen. And they don't jack up shipping.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

80hp wrote:You probably have a sharp edge on your chamber or other surface that contacts the bullet. The problem will likely go away with use. Meanwhile, it will probably not effect function or accuracy. I hope it wears in. The dents are big enough and pronounced enough to catch my thumb nail in while running it over them.

Hint: The rifle will feed better if you give the round more crimp. The case mouth can catch on the edge of the chamber. Your example looks like it has no crimp.
M.
teegee52 wrote:Try the Lee Factory Crimp Die.
These had been fed through a Lee FCD, just enough to remove my belling and add a very very slight crimp.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Took my RARR out to the range today after getting a vortex crossfire II 4-12x44 mounted using vortex low rings. I'm really impressed what this "cheap" rifle can do, as was the man next to me who was shooting his ruger precision rifle.

Load:
110gr nosler varmageddon
19.5gr h110
2.025 COL
CCI 400's
avg velocity 2430fps

Best 100yd grouping

Playing around at 200yd the wind was a little stiff at this distance but the rifle is better than I am.
gunguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunguy »

SwampDog_13 wrote:Took my RARR out to the range today after getting a vortex crossfire II 4-12x44 mounted using vortex low rings. I'm really impressed what this "cheap" rifle can do, as was the man next to me who was shooting his ruger precision rifle.

Load:
110gr nosler varmageddon
19.5gr h110
2.025 COL
CCI 400's
avg velocity 2430fps

Best 100yd grouping

Playing around at 200yd the wind was a little stiff at this distance but the rifle is better than I am.
I just put this exact set up together today, range report to follow.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
gunguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunguy »

Well I just got back from shooting my new RARR, all I can say is WOW! Once I got it sighted in at 100 yards I hit everything I aimed at. My gun seemed to really like 125 Speer TNT's and 110 Nosler Varmageddons. I was fully expecting it to shoot the Barnes 110 black tips the best, but it shot the TNT's more accurately. The fun factor on this little rifle ranks way up there, no kick cheap to reload and not that heavy to pack around. I wish I would have bought one sooner. I think Ruger really nailed it with their American line of rifles.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
Ibmikey

Post by Ibmikey »

My long awaited and back ordered Ruger Ranch finally arrived and tomorrow i shall take it out and punch some holes in paper and steel. I have a variety of handloads that i made for my four AR's and AR pistol bullet weighs from 115 gr TNT ( I killed a 350# Texas Hog with that round from a AAC Handi Rifle....one shot) up to 168 gr Speer SP. The rifle is a perfect pig gun in size, weight and caliber, I just returned from two months in Texas hunting hogs ( got 40) wish i had this little beauty with me then.
Birdstrike

Post by Birdstrike »

Looking for a range report on subsonics. Please share if you have any 100yd groups of factory subs. Thanks
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Update for the best group my RARR has put out to date. Same load listed above shot off of sandbags 92ish degrees. Decided to run some supers after spending the morning working on the 200yrd sub challenge.

Edit: 100yrd, not 200yrd.