Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Post by tallburnedmidget »

0uTkAsT wrote:I bought the RARR specifically to replace this as my go-to woods gun:

What powder do you use to load those bladed projectiles? :P

I just had to be silly hahaha :)
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
0uTkAsT wrote:I bought the RARR specifically to replace this as my go-to woods gun:

What powder do you use to load those bladed projectiles? :P

I just had to be silly hahaha :)
easy . protein powder.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

drewzter wrote:Finally found one at the LGS. Need a can mount and some rings. Any pre-shooting suggestions besides running a patch thru it?
Today, I just ran a dry patch through the barrel and took my new RARR to the range. Fired 36 rounds until it got too dark. It functioned perfectly, fed and ejected with no problems. I found it easier to load the magazine by putting the base of the cartridge on the arrow and pushing down, then sliding it backwards.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

jwb47 wrote: easy . protein powder.
Hahhahaha perfect answer.

80hp, sounds like you have a winner. Is the slight quirkiness of the mag the only "kinda" issue you have ran into?

This rifle sounds awesome. I did my Savage Axis 300BLK conversion for a few hundred more and it also had a quirky mag situation. Nothing I would really ding the setup on. I categorized my Savage mag issue as a 1st world problem not really a 3rd world problem :)

Would you say the same about the Ruger mag?
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

Yes the magazine can be a little tedious to load (typical of almost all DBM bolt action magazines). I plan to buy a couple extra as spares and to minimize the time it takes to reload at the range.

I really love this gun... still stumped trying to find the perfect optic, but I'm getting closer... hopefully... I'm on #4 :roll:
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
jwb47 wrote: ...........
80hp, sounds like you have a winner. Is the slight quirkiness of the mag the only "kinda" issue you have ran into?

This rifle sounds awesome. I did my Savage Axis 300BLK conversion for a few hundred more and it also had a quirky mag situation. Nothing I would really ding the setup on. I categorized my Savage mag issue as a 1st world problem not really a 3rd world problem :)

Would you say the same about the Ruger mag?
First, I don't mess with a new gun until I have taken it to the range several times. That way if something goes bad, I can send it back with no trouble.
-I can load the magazine by just pushing the rounds down hard. Later I will take a couple of thou off the back part of the mag and it will probably load easier. I have found that I can actually load 6 rounds in the mag. The Savage mag catch is molded into the mag, while the Ruger has a separate spring loaded, pivoting catch.
-The track in the bolt, where the release, rides has sharp edges. Later, I will "break" the edges with a stone so I won't cut myself when cleaning it. When you close the bolt, It will hesitate about halfway down as the cocking piece comes off the cocking cam. Later, I may polish the cocking cam. The bolt is super easy to install. Just slide it into the action and turn it until the bolt release "clicks".
-I can slide a piece of paper between the barrel and stock all the way back to where the scope rail starts. The trigger is good, so I haven't been tempted to pull off the stock. I am getting used to the safety blade in the trigger.
-As for sights, I tried an Eotech clone but if you positioned it above the ejection port, the brass would hit it and fall back into the action. Now, it has an old Tasco 2.5-10x installed, but it makes the rifle top heavy. I need to find a compact, light weight, reasonably priced scope for it. I an not too fond of red dots.
-Overall, I am extremely pleased with the rifle. Ruger was very intelligent chambering the American in 300 Blk. I believe the 300 Blk will be the .30-30 of this century.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
tedscissors
Silent But Deadly

Post by tedscissors »

Several days of testing this week with this rifle; mounted a redfield 3x9 scope after buying rifle on Tuesday afternoon, then a thorough cleaning.

Magazine will not feed the last round if a heavy sub, seems like it needs a bit more spring pressure.

Agree with 80HP on the shape edges; rifle did seem to smooth out with more shooting / bolt manipulation.

Loads tested were factory Remington factory rm300aac6, 125 gr otm - velocity averaged 2211fps, group size of 1"

Barnes vortx,110 gr tac-tx - velocity ave 2372 fps group size of 3/4"

handloads tested -10.6 imr4227 (my ar pistol load w/ 8" barrel) rem 7.5 primer, Lee 230 cast bhn 12 with shake & bake powder coat (thanks dolomite)2.100" col -- ave velocity 1202 fps group size of 2"

red dot with lee 230 cast & PC, WSR primer, 2.100 col - tried loads from 5.1 to 5.6, found 5.5 to be best grouping and lowest velocity spread - ave velocity of 984 fps group size of 2"

Pro chrony @ 10 ft from muzzle, temp mid 20's, no wind, humidity, me way too much coffee...

No sign of boolit instability (keyholing), no suppressor used until 100% certain of all loads.

Overall, pleased with rifle, shows great potential and will obtain several spare magazines.

ted
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

Thanks for the report, Ted.

I was feeling a little crafty today, decided to hit the crafting bench with the Ranch, experimenting with a couple of home grown sling designs and made a pretty useful mini hunting chest rig. I've always wanted a Hill People Gear kit bag but I'm too cheap so I decided to repurpose some unused junk I had laying around to make something similar. It holds an extra mag, basic 1st aid and survival goodies, a knife and multitool silently, solidly and unobtrusively. Now instead of walking about with a daypack everywhere (I hate shouldering a rifle over straps and such) I can throw this on, have a canteen on my belt, and go on my merry way.

S4area51
Senior Silent Operator

Post by S4area51 »

Love this rifle so far :mrgreen: . Bolt is a little sticky, probably needs to be worked in a little more. Test fitting my F1 can.
cornmastah

Post by cornmastah »

S4area51 wrote:Love this rifle so far :mrgreen: . Bolt is a little sticky, probably needs to be worked in a little more. Test fitting my F1 can.
Is that the PST 1-4x?