Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

cornmastah

Re: Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 blackout

Post by cornmastah »

Just got mine this last weekend. Bought a muzzle device so I can use my Specwar on it. Going to try to test it out when I can. What kind of sub loads are you guys running in yours?
wlc
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wlc »

How do those of you with one of these like that stock? I fondled one at Sportsmans warehouse the other day and the stock was the biggest drawback to me. I'm waiting on one to show up at a LGS as they quoted me a price $50 cheaper than Sportsmans.
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

wlc wrote:How do those of you with one of these like that stock? I fondled one at Sportsmans warehouse the other day and the stock was the biggest drawback to me. I'm waiting on one to show up at a LGS as they quoted me a price $50 cheaper than Sportsmans.
I didn't think I'd like it, and had planned on foaming the buttstock for a more solid sound/feel, adding mild golf ball stippling to the grip surfaces, and painting it... but in reality, it doesn't need any of that unless you want to spend the time doing so. It's perfectly functional out of the box.

I've had mine a few weeks now. Short, light, handy... I love it. Here it is with a Leupold FX-II Ultralight in Talley lightweight ringmounts. With a SOT Cheetah sling (not pictured) with Uncle Mike's QD swivels and 5 rounds of 150gr. FMJ in the magazine, it weighs in at 6lbs 12.2oz. All that for under $700 out the door including optics. Thank you, Santa.

I want the barrel fluted someday, maybe next Christmas.
Beard

Post by Beard »

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I've been reading post here since I stared building 300 BLK a couple of years ago. A lot of great information to found on this forum.
Anyway, wanted to comment on the RARR 300. So far for me it's been a great rifle for the price. The accuracy results I've experienced are one of the best 300 I've shot yet. As limited as that is (Wilson, Fn, S&W) still impressive. I'm using a Vortex PST 1-4 on a DNZ Freedom Mount with a Innovative Arms Deception. Not the best equipment but it works great for accuracy testing and hunting whitetail.
I reloaded most of the ammo for testing with a few factory loads for comparison. Rounds tested are 110 V-Max, 110 Tac TX, 125 Nosler Ballistic, 125 Remington Premier Match, Remington 125 Hog Hammers, 130 TTSX, 130 TSX, 150 FMJ and 220 subs. The rifle shot everything well except a few misc. loads and Remington Premier Match. I was getting an 1" to 1.5" flyers on the rem. ammo. Btw they haven't shot well out of my 8" FN bbl or the Wilson 11.3" bbl not sure why. Most of the 110gn flat base projectiles clover-leafed shots to .5" groups. By far the best. Once the scope was sighted in and I found the hold over reticle for my 220 sub loads (avg. 1050 fps) all 10 shots hit bullseye.
Testing was done outdoors at 100 yds with little to no wind, @ 65% humidity and 48-55 degrees.
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in for any like-minded geek that wants to know.
F224
Senior Silent Operator

Post by F224 »

0uTkAsT wrote:
wlc wrote:How do those of you with one of these like that stock? I fondled one at Sportsmans warehouse the other day and the stock was the biggest drawback to me. I'm waiting on one to show up at a LGS as they quoted me a price $50 cheaper than Sportsmans.
I didn't think I'd like it, and had planned on foaming the buttstock for a more solid sound/feel, adding mild golf ball stippling to the grip surfaces, and painting it... but in reality, it doesn't need any of that unless you want to spend the time doing so. It's perfectly functional out of the box.

I've had mine a few weeks now. Short, light, handy... I love it. Here it is with a Leupold FX-II Ultralight in Talley lightweight ringmounts. With a SOT Cheetah sling (not pictured) with Uncle Mike's QD swivels and 5 rounds of 150gr. FMJ in the magazine, it weighs in at 6lbs 12.2oz. All that for under $700 out the door including optics. Thank you, Santa.

I want the barrel fluted someday, maybe next Christmas.
The RARR in 300BlkOut could be the perfect knock about - 30/30 lever gun replacement. All in you have an accurate rifle, with a bullet proof scope for under $700. I hate the cliche but who could ask for anything more for their pickup truck, utility vehicle or tractor?
Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

F224 wrote:The RARR in 300BlkOut could be the perfect knock about - 30/30 lever gun replacement. All in you have an accurate rifle, with a bullet proof scope for under $700. I hate the cliche but who could ask for anything more for their pickup truck, utility vehicle or tractor?
You're reading my mind... I bought the RARR specifically to replace this as my go-to woods gun:

cornmastah

Post by cornmastah »

Being what it is, what kind of optics are you guys going to run on your RARR's?
Beard

Post by Beard »

cornmastah wrote:Being what it is, what kind of optics are you guys going to run on your RARR's?
I ended mounting a Nikon P-223 3-9x40. Didn't need anything special, just something that would allow me to see better in low light hunting.
idaho.jon
Silent But Deadly

Post by idaho.jon »

I have a Vortex Crossfire 3-9 x40 on mine. I run irons on all my other guns, so any magnified optic is a treat for me :mrgreen:
drewzter

Post by drewzter »

Finally found one at the LGS. Need a can mount and some rings. Any pre-shooting suggestions besides running a patch thru it?