700 AAC-SD 300BLK keyholing

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

m4a1sof
Silent But Deadly

700 AAC-SD 300BLK keyholing

Post by m4a1sof »

Just got a Remington 700 AAC-SD 300BLK. Put a 4.5x14x40 Nikon Buckmaster on it and tried to zero it at my little 30 yard range. The only ammo I have is 220 grain Remington subsonic factory ammo. Groups were huge and exhibited severe keyholing. Main reason I got it was to use with a suppressor but now I'm afraid to put one on it. What should the muzzle look like on one of these? Does mine look normal? it doesn't have a traditional crown just a flat vertical face with a tiny fairly rough chamfer around the inside of the muzzle. Barrel is 16.5", the rifling looks ok and I measured the twist as best I could at it appears to be 1:7 with 5 lands like is stamped on the barrel. Could it be a bad batch of ammo?

Last edited by m4a1sof on Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Re: 700 AAC-SD 300BLK keyholing

Post by randyrucker »

If your are shooting from a bipod that could be part/all of the problem. There are several evaluations of this gun and they all say the stock flexes and hits the barrel when using a bipod resulting in large groups. Shooting from a bag may help tighten the groups. You can also try the coke can shims like the guy on 8541 did. He got good results from that. I doubt factory Rem ammo is bad. I can't speak to the crown or rifling question because I don't know enough about it. I would focus on the stock as the culprit if it was me.
m4a1sof
Silent But Deadly

Post by m4a1sof »

Stock flex wouldn't cause keyholing I wouldn't think. That makes me more concerned than the poor groups since I want to use a can with this setup and I definitley don't want a baffle strike.
KingIX
Silent But Deadly

Post by KingIX »

I would try and get some different ammo and check it then
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

Boy-oh-boy....that IS a really shitty face on that bbl. I do not believe that these guns came with any kind of "target" crown,but............?

Looks in your pic that the stock is actually touching the bbl. I have the same gun chambered in 308Win and I had to take a Dremmel to mine and relieve the stock a bit. I do agree with the above poster that this "problem" would not cause keyholeing though.

Ammo,or bbl at fault I would think. Don't install a can unless you want to see some real devastation. Please let us know what you find out. --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
m4a1sof
Silent But Deadly

Post by m4a1sof »

Here's a pic of a recovered bullet if that helps. I found it laying on the ground right behind my backstop which was a 4X4 square wooden post. All five grooves are deeply pressed in it, so it looks like the bore being oversize can be discounted:

gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I would lean toward the crown not being done very well.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
m4a1sof
Silent But Deadly

Post by m4a1sof »

gds wrote:I would lean toward the crown not being done very well.
I'm thinking the same thing. My next step will be to get it re-crowned. Even if it turns out to be the ammo, that factory crowning job is pathetic, I think I could have done a better job with a hand file. I guess Remington's QC is slipping.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

I have the same rifle and my muzzle dont look like that at all . it looks like somebody worked on yours with a rat tail file . I shot 5 remington 220 grain factory loads just to check for key holing when I got my rifle , since then I have only used my own reloads 225 grain hornady match and 110 grain v-max .
at 100 yds I can hold a legitimate 1.5 inch ten shot group with the 110 v-max and right at 2 inch 10 shot group with the subs . I have done nothing to improve my rifle it still wears the tuperware stock and I have not even tried to adjust the trigger so i expect when I add a new stock and trigger to get even better results. I might be able to tune the 225 grain to shoot better but they also work pretty good in my two gas guns so I compromise and let it go as is .
I would be on the horn to remington if it were me.
poikilotrm

Post by poikilotrm »

Did you try groups without the can?