700 AAC-SD 300BLK keyholing

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

m4a1sof
Silent But Deadly

Re: 700 AAC-SD 300BLK keyholing

Post by m4a1sof »

poikilotrm wrote:Did you try groups without the can?
When I noticed the keyholing I wasn't about to put a can on it, so to answer your question all the shots so far are without a can.

jwb47 If you can, please post a picture of what your muzzle looks like. Thanks in advance.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

ALSO.......It would be interesting to find someone with a borescope and take a look inside and see .....wuzzup. To me the pic of the bullet looks to have the grooves (cut by the lands)cut too deep. Are the marks on the bullet pretty much the same all the way around ?? --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
m4a1sof
Silent But Deadly

Post by m4a1sof »

Grooves are the same all the way around.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

m4a1sof wrote:
poikilotrm wrote:Did you try groups without the can?
When I noticed the keyholing I wasn't about to put a can on it, so to answer your question all the shots so far are without a can.

jwb47 If you can, please post a picture of what your muzzle looks like. Thanks in advance.

hope this helps

m4a1sof
Silent But Deadly

Post by m4a1sof »

Yes yours looks better finished than mine. The best word to describe mine is it looks ragged, like the tool bit was almost worn out and/or it was made on a Monday or Friday :cry: . As soon as I can I will get it re-crowned, see if that helps.
pvanwagner
Silent But Deadly

Post by pvanwagner »

m4a1sof wrote:Yes yours looks better finished than mine. The best word to describe mine is it looks ragged, like the tool bit was almost worn out and/or it was made on a Monday or Friday :cry: . As soon as I can I will get it re-crowned, see if that helps.
If you bought this rifle new you should contact Remington to have them look at it. Their info on warranty/repairs is on their website.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

Something is not right. A bad crown would cause big groups but not key holing. One thing I'd check would be the twist rate. You can do this with a cleaning rod and a tight fitting patch. Mark the rod and see how far it must be run in the bore in order to spin one rotation.

It would be entirely possible for them to have dropped the wrong barrel blank into the mix and ended up with too slow of a twist. Just cause it is stamped 1:7 doesn't mean it actually is.

If you screw with the crown they may not take it back on warranty as you will have modified the rifle at that point.
zimm17
Silent Operator

Post by zimm17 »

I would get the barrel slugged by a gunsmith and see what the bore diameter really is. I've never seen rifling grooves that far into a bullet jacket before. Or the bullets are the wrong size- do you have calipers to measure if they're .308? Get the smith to recut the crown (small job) and retest.

Edit- you can check the bore yourself with a piece of soft lead 00 buckshot. http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2007/10/s ... ay_07.html
HK91
Silent Operator

Post by HK91 »

Not an expert at all, but of the jacketed bullets I have seen recovered, they all seem to have some scuffing corresponding to the groves of the rifling and the bullet you recovered does not. Could be a small bullet or the grove diameter is too large. If new, you may want to get in touch with Remington before doing any mods yourself.

HK91
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

Did you contact Remington?