REM 700 and cast lead bullets

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

nightstalker

REM 700 and cast lead bullets

Post by nightstalker »

I've been searching forum for any remington 700 AAC blackout info using a cast bullet and do not want to re-invent the wheel. I've got the model 700 that had the nasty rubber synthetic stock, replaced it with hs precision stock and i use it to shoot subsonics at 100 and 200 yards. I shoot my home made steel critter shaped targets offhand standing up using the nikon p-300 scope at low powers, and the subsonic 208 grain hornadys do not damage my targets.

It seems to me that the 300 blk would be an ideal cast lead, plain base, low speed plinker and target gun because the case capacity runs full. seems also, one could seat the bullet out int the lands and neck size only and get some good results.

I have no desire to use a suppressor, but did put the AAC three prong flash hider on the thing for low light hog hammer times. Mainly We just shoot for fun and on the cheap. Being able to pick up everyones 5.56/223 brass at the range and form my own brass is like finding treasure. same with digging up others lead :)

Anyone shooting the remington 700 in 300 AAC with 1:7 twist and 16" bbl casting their own bullets?

Thanks.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Re: REM 700 and cast lead bullets

Post by 2bad4u2 »

lot of guys using cast bullets for the Blackout. FYI, there's a large number of threads on this very topic on this site. You might want to check the handloading section as it will have the bulk of what you seek.

There are several popular and readily available cast bullet molds made with the Blackout in mind. The 247gr. NOE cast bullet mold is reasonably accurate and was the first mold designed and is the heaviest made to the best of my knowledge. The LEE 230gr. mold is a different profile than the NOE but has had a spotty reputation for various reasons. I'm lead to believe the first LEE molds had quality issues early on that have since been rectified.

I own the NOE mold and have had it since 2011 but haven't casted with it yet. Perhaps, this fall I'll have more time to do so.
Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magnum Mike »

After reading some at this place, i picked up Accurate Molds 247( or whatever weight it is). I have cast up a batch but haven't powder coated them yet, I will soon!

I'm currently working on a fast 'n accurate 168MK in my 700AAC-SD but I will be giving the heavy cast a try shortly.
michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member

John 3:3

Check out our web store @ http://www.accuratearmsandammo.com
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

FWIW

I have the Remington 700 300 BLK rifle. When using flat nose bullets (cast and plated) I will have some failures to chamber where the flat nose catches on the edge of the chamber. Fine for non-hunting applications; maybe not so fine for hunting where you might need a fast followup shot.

No failures to chamber in my Handi-Rifle... :lol:
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

I have a big box of 170gr flat nose cast bullets that I am trying to work my way through but they don't feed at all which is a total drag as I have to single feed each round. :evil:
bearman
Silent Operator

Post by bearman »

I shoot Hornady 220 rn loaded to 2.11 oal and they feed just fine. I had to play with the oal to get them to feed.
Jupiter7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jupiter7 »

I shoot cast in my 700sps 300blk. The lee 312-155, noe 311-165 and accurate 31-240e. The accurate mold is too fat in the nose, has to be seated deeper to chamber in my 700. I really only shoot supers anyways. With the lee 312-155 tumbled with straight LLA and lee sized .309 with aluminum gas checks seated to middle of crimp groove with light crimp from FCD over 15.7grs lil gun gave me right about 1moa. I have mine set up for longer range with egw 20moa base, Burris high rings and BSA/midway 4-14 FFP mil/mil. Only shot a couple hundred through it, usually shoot 300blk in the AR's. The above load chrono's at 1800fps in 10" barrel.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

I use the Noe 247 over 11.3 grains Re-7 with fed match primers.I size to .310 and use a .308 expander with hornady dies and use a M-die to bell brass.COL = 2.230.Have shot some 5 shot 1 inch groups at 100 and feeds good.I haven't found any other combo to shoot as good as this load for cast subs in my rem BG.Average groups go around 2 inchs.Best 3 shot group went .370 and next 2 brought group to 1 inch.
This is with annealed brass formed to my chamber.
miker557

Post by miker557 »

I have one of the Lee molds, and have cast up some bullets using Linotype (very hard, no problems shaving lead into the gas port on my AR). Linotype is lighter than #2 alloy, and these come out at 214 grains. Am currently processing some brass to make loads with, I'll let you know how they turn out.
Sandnsnow

Post by Sandnsnow »

45r wrote:I use the Noe 247 over 11.3 grains Re-7 with fed match primers.I size to .310 and use a .308 expander with hornady dies and use a M-die to bell brass.COL = 2.230.Have shot some 5 shot 1 inch groups at 100 and feeds good.I haven't found any other combo to shoot as good as this load for cast subs in my rem BG.Average groups go around 2 inchs.Best 3 shot group went .370 and next 2 brought group to 1 inch.
This is with annealed brass formed to my chamber.

This is my same load and process, works awesome. I am also using the lee 230 gr mold with as good results.