New guy...got my first 300BLK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Ridgeback1973

New guy...got my first 300BLK

Post by Ridgeback1973 »

Once I figure out how to post a pic, I'll hang one. I picked up my Rem 700 SPS last week, and slapped the Nikon P300 scope on this weekend. I got a shipment of PNW 125gr Noslers that will be my primary deer round, and I have a small stash of Cooper subsonics. Once I get my NFA Trust set up and replace the little savings account I looted for the rifle, an AAC Cyclone is going to come home too. Ahhh...welcome to the new addiction!

I'll keep reading up, and fiddling with the Spoton app for my iPhone so I can get this thing dialed in for deer season. I figure it's going to make a great little deer gun at <200 yards. :mrgreen:
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: New guy...got my first 300BLK

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Welcome to the addiction!

Here is a thread with a photo posting tutorial, check out the tutorial and you will be able to post pics easily.
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=84314

It would be wise to try and size/save your pictures as smaller images before posting. If you are unable to size them then the posting instructions/tutorial will still work so no big deal :)
Ridgeback1973

Post by Ridgeback1973 »

Whaddya know?!? It worked! Thanks Tallburnedmidget!
Ridgeback1973

Post by Ridgeback1973 »

Cleaned up in the basement - after this week's ammo delivery of Rem 220gr subs, I now have 240 rounds of 300BLK, and 60 of 300 Whisper to go get this thang dialed in. Now all I need is a quiet day off of work, no soccer practices / swim meets / etc... and I think I can get her broken in and ready for deer season! Is that too much to ask?
Ridgeback1973

Post by Ridgeback1973 »

Been sitting on 500 rounds of pinker ammo for a while - 147gr Freedom Munitions. I used those to break in the barrel. Surprisingly, out of the 25 rounds I fired, I actually had two failures - good hard primer strike and no pop. I dialed it in at 100 yards, and the rounds were grouping at about 2". Hmmmm. I thought it was my technique...but then I transitioned to the 125gr Ballistic Tips from PNW arms. It wasn't my technique. These bullets were quickly printing under an inch. Look out deer!
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

that bi-pod on the tupper ware stock is not helping your accuracy any . I know I have the same stock . the only reason I put up with the houge is I have been getting ready for hunting season and not took the time to replace it . this will be a january project .
good luck hunting . have fun and be safe.
Ridgeback1973

Post by Ridgeback1973 »

Some small mods still ongoing.... And my AAC Cyclone is about 1 month out, according to the nice lady at NFA branch. I submitted it this past Summer (accepted in July), and she told me yesterday that it WILL be done by the 7mo mark. I guess all those new examiners they got in there are helping out! I can't wait to get my paws on it. I ditched the nasty Hogue rubber stock and boy did the accuracy tighten up! This second hand Bell and Carlson made a lot of difference. I took the rifle deer hunting this year, but let my 14 y.o. son pull the trigger on a fat doe with his .243. Alas, she remains unproven except on paper!
A couple questions for the gallery -
Any thoughts on bottom metal (pros/cons of changing out to an AI mag compatible kit / best ones)?
Is Duracoat or Cerakote worth the $hekels and wait?

Thanks,

-Pete
Ridgeback1973

Post by Ridgeback1973 »

Ignore my daughter's whippet puppy in the background....

jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

now your cooking with gas . I love my bell and carlson stock.
bearman
Silent Operator

Post by bearman »

Very NICE!!