New guy...got my first 300BLK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Ridgeback1973

Re: New guy...got my first 300BLK

Post by Ridgeback1973 »

This beast is a deer killing machine! My son and I went back to SC for out annual Thanksgiving hunt with the cousins, and we both got deer. He clipped a fat little doe with my old .270, and I zorched a doe in a swamp at 175 yards (we lazed it after the shot) with my suppressed 300BLK and Barnes 110gr Vortex rounds. There were 3 deer standing in the swamp - a huge 7 pointer, a forkhorn, and my doe. My cousin's hunt club has a rule on bucks (8pts and up, outside the ears), so she was my only option. I shot her from a ridge top tree stand, and since she was standing in a low swamp, it was a significant drop. The bullet hit a little high and spined her, so she dropped like a rock. The other two deer didn't even react to the shot (great news if you need a follow up shot), and sauntered off after they sniffed her twitching body. She kept wiggling after they wandered off, so I finished her off with a headshot from the stand. This little gun is hella accurate, and it's putting meat on the table. I'm going back at Christmas to see if I can't get another deer!
Ridgeback1973

Post by Ridgeback1973 »

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Congrats!!!

You are now hooked. There's nothing like hunting with a suppressor! Study up and prep for subsonic suppressed hunting of you want a completely different hunting experience with the same rifle.

I look forward to another report around Christmas :)
Ridgeback1973

Post by Ridgeback1973 »

It was amazing - those two bucks just stood there when I shot her - they didn't even flinch. They are so used to cannon fire, that the crack of that 110gr bullet didn't even phase them. Heck, the wet "slap" of the bullet hitting her was almost louder than the shot. I have gotten the best sub accuracy off of the 208gr AMAX bullets so far (factory), but only have a few boxes. I probably would not have attempted a 175 yard shot with that subsonic load. I have got to get my basement finished and my reloading bench set up!
Ridgeback1973

Post by Ridgeback1973 »

The deer have been hammering the soybean crop at my mom's place. A lot of "come heres" have moved in and bought up land on the point, so there isn't a lot of pressure on the herd. One lady even feeds the damned things (made my 75 y.o. genteel southern mom call her a few choice words). She contacted the DGIF and asked what she could do about the herd that was roaming from field to field, gobbling up her beans. The Game Warden stopped by last week and issued her a "Crop Damage Permit" good for 12 antler less deer, and it only had my name on it. Soooo... over 4th of July weekend, I removed 3 of the herd. The Barnes Vortex 110gr bullets are absolute hammers. My mom's freezer is full now, and the dogs have a bunch of bones to chew on. Nothing was wasted...

Doe 1) 175 yard shot, hit her in the left shoulder, exited behind right shoulder, and she ran maybe 10 yards before collapsing in a bloody heap

Doe 2) 125 yard shot, hit her in the left shoulder, bullet deflected off scapula and exited mid boiler room on the right side. She ran about 20 yards before collapsing in a pile. Cleaning her was NOT fun - she had a few inches of intestine hanging out the exit wound when I walked up to her. Yuck.

Button) 160 yard shot, hit high on the right shoulder, liquified the heard, nicked the bottom of the spine, and blew out the other side. He dropped like he had been pole axed. When I opened him up, his chest cavity was just soup - that 110gr bullet takes no prisoners.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Glad ya'll were able to get those tags to protect the crop and fill the freezer. Here in NC they don't allow us to harvest the meat so it's an ethical catch 22. It's unfortunate but it does provide bait for coyotes.
Ridgeback1973

Post by Ridgeback1973 »

SwampDog_13 wrote:Glad ya'll were able to get those tags to protect the crop and fill the freezer. Here in NC they don't allow us to harvest the meat so it's an ethical catch 22. It's unfortunate but it does provide bait for coyotes.
Yes, that is unfortunate. We specifically asked the GW, because most states don't allow you to use the meat. He said "use what you can, and dispose of the rest." The coyotes and buzzards got a gut pile and a thoroughly picked set of bones. It was a lot of hot, sweaty work, but my mom, a retired schoolteacher, won't have to buy red meat for quite a while. She's also giddy that the soybean crop might actually get out of the ground this year. Oh - another bonus - I got to watch the herd for the Fall season. I spotted two MONSTER 8 pointers in velvet (part of a herd of a dozen or more that roam the point) thru my 20x spotting scope - and watched their routs into and out of the bean field. Come archery/ black powder season, I will know exactly where to put my deer stands!