My 300 Blackout Savage Striker build

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Re: My 300 Blackout Savage Striker build

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:The Form 1 I am waiting on is for a suppressor. Until then I am not gong to worry about chopping the barrel down.
How much you have wrapped up in that rig?
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Maryland_Shooter wrote:
Dolomite_Supafly wrote:The Form 1 I am waiting on is for a suppressor. Until then I am not gong to worry about chopping the barrel down.
How much you have wrapped up in that rig?
Trying to forget. More than my AR that shoots the same thing and does is faster. I paid for rarity. It will be a gun I keep forever so I don't mind the cost.

Or if you are talking about the suppressor I will have about $150 in materials. The msot expensive part of the suppressor ends up as chips on the floor and a 1.375" rod of 17-4 stainless that is 12" long isn't cheap. The seamless 316SS tube will be about $50. But is will be worth it to have a gun that is as quiet as a slingshot.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
robpiat
Silent Operator

Post by robpiat »

I was hoping to be first but the wait for a barrel was a bitch. :mrgreen:

Anyways, 10" Mcgowen. Haven't shot it yet. I am not sure if feeding from the mag is realistic as its 308 originally and require some aggressive tweaking and/or custom parts. One thought is to just make it single shot and use bedding compound to make a feed ramp.

80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

Robpiat, you can just use one of these to make the magazine a single shot.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/301807 ... r-aluminum
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Nice looking setup, hoping to have something similar by the end of the year. My Form 1 has 12" as the length of my can. Not sure if I will go that long but it will probably be at least 8". You can legally go shorter but not longer than what is listed on the form. I am also going to use K baffles for everything except the first baffle which will be some sort of a cone or omega.

I was able to do a really nice trigger job on mine. There is plenty of room up front, inside of the trigger guard to install a setscrew. I removed nearly all my overtravel. Then I made and installed a .043" trigger return spring. After a little tweaking I bet my trigger is under 2 pounds while being safe and reliable. When I got it the trigger was what I considered nice for a Savage but still probably 5 pounds.

I have started using Green Mountain barrel blanks pretty much for all my builds. They are very accurate and are a great deal for the money. I have picked up several contract overstock barrels for under $50 that were MOA shooters.

I am on the hunt for another so I can have one in 223 and another in 300BO. I really liked mine when I screwed the 223 barrel in. It was extremely accurate but the downside is I do not cast for anything in 22 caliber. The molds tend to be kind of finicky with casting temperatures.

I will say I am kind of disgusted with the results of my 8 twist barrel though. I shoot heavy bullets and they just pass water jugs through without any tumbling. I am going to make a 10 twist barrel so the bullets I shoot will tumble. I have a friend that has a GM 10 twist blackout barrel and he shoots 245 grain MBC bullets. He said they are completely stable to 100 yards so the odds of a baffle strike are extremely low but they will tumble in the target. And with a 10 twist the lighter cast bullets tend to shoot a lot better too. I have found that using a twist that barely stabilized the bullet is more accurate than one the is over stabilized. I guess it is like having an out of balance car tire spinning at 80 mps versus 30 mph.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

80hp wrote:Robpiat, you can just use one of these to make the magazine a single shot.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/301807 ... r-aluminum
M.
That is what I am currently using and it works great on pointy bullets but on bullets with any type of meplat it doesn't.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!