AAC Model 7 - my field report

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

WasDustyJacket
Senior Silent Operator

AAC Model 7 - my field report

Post by WasDustyJacket »

Yesterday, I picked up a new AAC Model 7 from a member here, who got it from Bullseye.
It was unfired.
I cycled a couple of dummy rounds (no powder, no primer) and it chambered and ejected perfectly.

Today, I braved the 39 degree weather and took it shooting.

I doesn't eject empty rounds for shit. Rounds with the bullet eject OK, but forget empties.
Toward the end of 60 rounds I could fling the bolt back enough to get the empty to dribble out 1 out of 4 times.
I'll tear it down and look at it tomorrow. I can probably live with it, and develop the move where you roll the rifle to the right to drop the shell out.
After the god-awful wait after I sent Ruger my SA revolver, I am hesitant to sent it off for work.

[EDIT 3/23 - fixed the ejection issue. It was not the rifle's fault. viewtopic.php?f=137&t=83103 ]

There is no space between the barrel and the stock. I could not slip a piece of paper in there. Not sure if I am going to dig out all but the first 4 inches of the barrel or leave it be. I can't afford a good stock right now. The stock does flex, so I did not use a bi-pod - I used a sandbag just forward of the magazine, and a rear bag.

it was gusty, and cold. I am using a Burris MTac 1x-4x scope.
I love the 1x-4x, but the center dot is too big - covers 3 inches at 100 yards - must be 3 moa. I could not get the groups I wanted.
The dots below the center are too small. When using them for holdover, they got lost in the target. Even on the brightest illumination.
The brightest illumination is too dim, for use on some targets.

On the other hand:
it was quiet compared to my store built AR.
It was almost as accurate as the AR with a Wilson COmbat barrel. I'll be able to tell more after I work on the stock.
It is nice and light - that AR with a fat barrel and a hand-guard as long as the barrel looked cool, but was heavy.
And, this draw less negativity these days, than the AR did, but having a silencer on it brings some of the negativity back.

I had "one big hole" groups at 25 yards, 1/2"+ groups at 50 yards (my zero distance), and maybe 2" at 100 yards, but it was getting colder and windier and I was trying to use hold-over with scope dots I could not see.

I think if I had a different reticle I could have smaller groups. But, this will be a hunting/plinking rifle, so extreme accuracy is not mandatory. A 3" group at 100 yards will be good enough.

Call it, a work in progress.

Last edited by WasDustyJacket on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
WasDustyJacket
Senior Silent Operator

Re: AAC Model 7 - my field report

Post by WasDustyJacket »

I traded this away, and got the Model 7 and some cash. I kept the scope and mount for the model 7.
It was a fun gun, just not everything I wanted. I know that I over-traded and the other party got a swell deal.

I wanted a Rem 700 SPS in 300BLK, but could not find one. I hoped the Model 7 would do. We shall see.

Stay tuned.

wookie
Silent Operator

Post by wookie »

Thanks for the range report. I bought one before going home on leave and sadly could not find any ammo to shoot out of it!!
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

That is a very nice rifle. I thought I read somewheres where the early AAC M7's had an ejector issue.

You can make up some very very accurate loads for non semi-auto 300blk rifles, you are not limited to OAL or certain bullet profiles, and you can use powders that provide better accuracy that wont cycle the AR action. A non semi-auto opens a huge spectrum for the round.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Retooferab
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Retooferab »

I've been wanting one of those but my ar will do 1" groups at 100 with sub sonics. I'm looking for extreme accuracy with subs. May have to do a custom barreled CZ.

That's a nice looking gun by the way.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

My Mystic on a 700 sps is shooting cast noe bullets into half inch at 50 and has never once had any ejection problems.The gas checked ones go into a bug hole under half inch. Very impressed with the accuracy.I'm pretty sure it would shoot condum bullets sub MOA at 100.AAC has good CS.They got my upper back within a few weeks of sending it in when it had an issue..If a 700 will work so would a Micro-7.I'd send it in if your not happy with the ejection.They probably know how to make them function right now.
WasDustyJacket
Senior Silent Operator

Post by WasDustyJacket »

talonxracer wrote:That is a very nice rifle. I thought I read somewheres where the early AAC M7's had an ejector issue.
This is supposedly a brand new rifle from the second batch. I just wish they could mail a replacement part and say "try this". The accuracy can be worked on. The poor ejection is the only bad thing on this.

Once it warms up and is not windy I'll be trying again, but after I tear it down, fluff and buff, and lube it.

I'll lighten the trigger, too. I wish these things came with the trigger adjustment key/allen wrench like the book says they do. This is the second Remington that I bought with it missing.

I think the 100 yard groups will tighten up. Using a scope with a 3 or 4 moa dot in the center covers a lot of area at 100 yards - another reason for inaccuracy. I'll make some targets with a lot of white nd a small spot. That should help.
SGT_Calle

Post by SGT_Calle »

I just took my new model 7 outfor the first time today as well. The weather here in SC was a little warmer and no wind thankfully.
My experience was nearly identical to yours, especially the ejections.
I'm using a leupold vx-r 1.25-4 on mine, pretty much kept it on 4 for this trip out.
What kind of rounds were you using? I ran through some 115, 125, and 220 gr. Remingtons.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Jesus, why can't AAC/Remington get their shit together on these ejection issues? The rifle too forever to be announced and they've had ample opportunity to address the situation.
WasDustyJacket
Senior Silent Operator

Post by WasDustyJacket »

SGT_Calle wrote:I just took my new model 7 outfor the first time today as well. The weather here in SC was a little warmer and no wind thankfully.
My experience was nearly identical to yours, especially the ejections.
I'm using a leupold vx-r 1.25-4 on mine, pretty much kept it on 4 for this trip out.
What kind of rounds were you using? I ran through some 115, 125, and 220 gr. Remingtons.
I am using 208 grain HPBT loaded by On Target. Once I get enough empties I am going to do some load development.
I am using the scope from my previous rifle - an AR with a Wilson Combat barrel.
Go to this thread and see my Jan 7 post to see what that rifle did with the same scope and same ammo.

viewtopic.php?f=140&t=81900