Rem 700 SPS in 300 BLK (pic)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rem 700 SPS in 300 BLK (pic)

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Great looking mods. Have you had it out to shoot yet?
SkunkWerX

Post by SkunkWerX »

2bad4u2 wrote:Great looking mods. Have you had it out to shoot yet?
Just a few rounds out back behind my place using subs made for the AR.
10.4gr. of 1680 behind a 220SMK.

Still waiting for a decent weather day at the range to zero out to 100 yards.
AAC 9" upper
Remington 700 SPS
SDN6
SWATRET

Post by SWATRET »

Picked mine up on thurs. I read some poor reviews on the Mag Xtender. Have you had any function issues? Loading? I'm looking forward to your handloading results.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

Tried some Gas Checked Noe bullets today over 11.3 grains RE-7 and they were shooting half inch at 50.Going to move out to 100,got it dialed in very good at 50 with the can.Very quiet,really like the 700.Mine functions flawless so far.
Like your paint job,looks good.I'd like to paint my scope about the same color of my stock or maybe the whole thing.
tedscissors
Silent But Deadly

Post by tedscissors »

very nice looking rifle - would you please weigh the rifle as shown and without suppressor ?

also, how did you apply the camo paint ?

I would like to build a similar rifle, thanks for any info
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Post by Legionaire »

45r wrote:Tightgroup has had issues with Kabooms.So has H-110 with subs but it might have been from the OP on these things.I like to stay with powders that fill the case better so as not to risk the chance of double charge.It does and can happen pretty easy with ball powders sometimes.
If I do use fast powders I like to use flake or granular,they seem to be more accurate anyway.Unique would probably be a lot safer to use.It's efficient down to 60 percent load density.
Never heard of tightgroup causing a kaboom using it in a reduced load. Hodgdon has it listed as a powder for subsonic 223 loads. I have used it in 223 with about 4 grs under a 55 fmj shoots good and is so quiet you hear only the firing pin getting struck. If tightgroup caused a kaboom it was not used according to published data or there were some other issues.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

I have used TG myself for handgun loads but don't plan to buy any more.It is a real spikey and hot burning powder.A double charge is bad and a SEE event from a undercharge is even worse.
I'd much rather use unique,trail boss,red dot,etc. for a fast powder load.Small ball powder charges are harder to see if they are GTG when doing a check before seating a bullet.
I think it can be done safely but it takes attention to every detail with very little room for error.Getting a bullet stuck in the bore can happen sometimes also with fast powders.
When it comes to posts about Kabooms TG seems to be their more than others.It does get used a lot in pistol shooting so that might be why.Maybe it's OK for BG use.
I'm going to try some Trail boss in my BG with my 173 grain GC cast bullets soon.I read on the GB site that 150GC cast shot real good with 5.5 grains TB in a 300BLK handi-rifle.It filled the case they said.
Jon Q

Post by Jon Q »

What do you have on here for a scope and base/rail?
SkunkWerX

Post by SkunkWerX »

-Have not weighed it, but it is heavy with the 5R barrel on it.
-The scope is a Weaver Kaspa 2.5-10x44mm, for now.
-Painted using stencils, and a good deal of cleaning and prep work.
Also dremelled a bit of the stock off of the front end using a sanding drum, underneath the barrel area, to eliminate any chance of stock to bore contact. I can easily slide a dollar bill up and down with no touching or dragging, so it is free floated, for sure.

Got to the range recently.
Was doing a bit of everything, zeroing the scope, testing loads, etc.
Was out at 100 yards shooting my SBR sub loads [220 SMKs] not bad considering still dialing it in.
Will give actual group sizes, at some point, once I get down to serious accuracy testing.

I did find that one of my SBR subsonic loads went supersonic, temps at about 60 degrees, ~500 feet above sea level. Chrono showed 1145 FPS, which verifies it.
Had it been much colder and/or much higher elevation than normal, I'd not give it much more thought.
It's the difference between a 9.5" barrel and a 16.5" barrel. I would need to dial down the sub loads a micron or two to see if I can get rid of any errant rounds going super. Will likely end up working up a bolt gun sub load, and keep the two separated.

That's it for now.
AAC 9" upper
Remington 700 SPS
SDN6