AAC Micro 7 vs Rem 700 SPS: Which would you pick?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Out of these two, which would you pick and why?

AAC Micro 7 300 Blackout
29%
Remington 700 SPS 300 Blackout
71%

Total votes: 105

2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC Micro 7 vs Rem 700 SPS: Which would you pick?

Post by 2bad4u2 »

I've never had an issue with any of the (17) 700's that I've owned over the years but I've always used conventional primers. If you like CCI try some 400's or the magnum 450's.

Glad to hear the Berry's 150's are working well for you. I've got a couple boxes of Hornady bullets of the same type. I'll have to give them a try.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Light primer strikes in mine are all caused by head space letting the round sit to deep in the chamber. The Wilson gauge that shows high/low head space is a must have. IMHO Sort any SD and hunting ammo.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

JohnInNH wrote:Light primer strikes in mine are all caused by head space letting the round sit to deep in the chamber. The Wilson gauge that shows high/low head space is a must have. IMHO Sort any SD and hunting ammo.
Had not thought of that. Reminds me that I had a possible identical problem with a 3006 Ruger no. One. It was solved by using a cartridge headspace gage to set the sizing die for that rifle. I will do some testing this week and report back. Thank you!
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

One way to prevent light strikes would be to back off sizing die 3/4 turn and see if bolt closes snug on resized fired case.If it won't close on case turn die in 1/8 turn at a time till bolt closes with a snug fit.If bolt doesn't close with a snug fit backed off 1 full turn the chamber is pretty sloppy or your sizing die is off.
Federal primers are work better than others sometimes,they usually have softer cups.
SC-Texas

Post by SC-Texas »

Picked up a micro 7 for a customer and a 700 sps for myself.

What are the accuracy issues with the micro 7?
http://www.TexasNFATrust.com
http://www.TexasGunTrust.com

NFA Gun Trusts For Citizens of Texas
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

45r wrote:One way to prevent light strikes would be to back off sizing die 3/4 turn and see if bolt closes snug on resized fired case.If it won't close on case turn die in 1/8 turn at a time till bolt closes with a snug fit.If bolt doesn't close with a snug fit backed off 1 full turn the chamber is pretty sloppy or your sizing die is off.
Federal primers are work better than others sometimes,they usually have softer cups.
First off, I want to thank everybody for their suggestions as to fixing my occasional failure to fire in the Rem 700 300 BLK.

By using a cartridge headspace gage, I found my sizing die (Redding 300/221 Remington), when making contact with my RCBS #16 shellholder, would size the case such that the headspace would be slightly below minimum. I was getting roughly 1 or so failure to fire per 20 or so shots, with most of the time it would fire on the 2nd try, but not always. So I backed out the sizing die such that the cartridge headspace was no longer below minimum and loaded up 48 rounds (every case was gaged for correct headspace). I pulled the trigger on 48 rounds, and only one failed to fire this time (multiple hits wouldn't fire it). Better performance this time, but still one dud. Its firing pin dent was less than the fired rounds. I pulled the primer, and from the underside it looked normal.

The primers are Wolf/Tula KVB233M (has a harder cup and slightly more priming compound designed for use in full power .223 rounds...like CCI #41 primers are designed). I have about 35,000 on hand. I've successfully used those primers in 3 ARs for several thousands of rounds of 300 BLK with no duds so they must be good primers, all fired in AR's with a Geisele full power hammer spring and their SSA trigger/hammer group designed to set off military primers with a lighter 2 stage trigger pull. I then get a Micro7. With the Micro7 I get about 1 dud per 100 rds. Cleaned and lightly lubed inside the bolt with no gunk found, but no difference. Odds are the Micro7 will fire, so I used it to get 3 deers (no duds while hunting). I had also cleaned the lightly lubed inside the Rem 700 bolt.

Since using better headspaced cases didn't completely solve the problem, I thought and thought about it. I held a case to the bolt face of the Rem 700 and an AR bolt thinking maybe the AR extractor holds the case better to the bolt face. I could see no obvious difference, but had no way to measure any difference. I then began to wonder about the primers that give no problem in AR's. I loaded up and fired 47 shots through the Rem 700 using Wolf/Tula KVB223 primers (a standard small rifle primer with a normal cup thickness/hardness)...no failures, and all primers have a deeper looking firing pin hit than the KVB223M's fired in the Rem 700. Hmmm I then fired 25 shots loaded with CCI #400...no failures, and all primers have a deeper looking firing pin hit than the KVB22M's. Hmmm I then fired 10 shots loaded with CCI #41...no failures, and all primers have a deeper looking firing pin hit than the KVB223M's. Important note: The shots with the KVB223, CCI #400, and CCI #41 were all with cases sized the old way and were gaged and showed headspace at or below minimum! I was trying to make a worst case situation.

Now this is only 82 shots fired with no failures, and more testing is needed, but I think I'm onto something, at least with my Remington 700. I'll stop using KCB223M's in the 700 and see what happens.

I also have an occasional failure to fire in my 300 BLK Handi Rifle. I had figured it was my fault by not pulling the trigger all the way to the rear to fully activate the firing pin transfer bar, but now I'm wondering about the primers used in it. Since I have some Handi Rifle loads already loaded with KVB223M's and KVB223's, I'll fire both and compare the firing pin hits...a few minutes pass...KVB223's fired in the Handi have a deeper hit than the KVB223M's.

I want to present this in the hope that it could benefit others.
Last edited by Whole Bunches on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

I've got a set of the Redding dies as well.

Bring your gauge to the range on Sunday and we'll check some of my cases.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

And you bring your case cutoff setup!
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

27 more rounds fired today in the Rem 700 (working up 220gr subsonic loads) with CCI #400 with no failures to fire. I'm confident I've solved my Rem 700 failures to fire. Oh, and this was with more of the "resized too much" brass that I already had on hand.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Read about head space and the 35 Remington. The BLK has the same issue. Size brass at the HIGH side and you will be better off. The shoulder is so minimal it under the force of the firing pin may actually move forward.

I sorted all my factory primed brass taking out the short shouldered brass. Later on some that passed the wilson gague misfired. I resorted the loaded ammo, this time pressing the rounds into the die. The pressure was enough to make some rounds that "passed' dropping them in fail when i pressed them with my thumb.

Once fireformed and sized to the "Max" end of the spec the problem goes away. Not something i would trust my life on w/o measuring. Remington did address the issue and are aware of it. New manufactured brass is fine, first run is suspect. All Rem manufactured loaded ammo i got is OK.

Reformed brass i have purchased .. one lot was at or under spec., the other was at the middle to max end of the spec. You need to have a gauge if you reload the BLK or you will have issue due to head space.

This issue of headspace should be a sticky. As Whole Bunches said some dies will size at min spec.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!