AAC Micro 7 vs Rem 700 SPS: Which would you pick?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Out of these two, which would you pick and why?

AAC Micro 7 300 Blackout
29%
Remington 700 SPS 300 Blackout
71%

Total votes: 105

NordicG3K
Silent But Deadly

AAC Micro 7 vs Rem 700 SPS: Which would you pick?

Post by NordicG3K »

Now that the Remington SPS is coming on line, and a second run of the Micro 7 is available, I was just wondering which you would pick and why? I'm not implying one is better than the other, but rather I'm curious as to what characteristics of each bolt gun better suits your particular needs. After voting please be sure to explain your thinking. (Yes, I'm sitting on the fence and need a push.)
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC Micro 7 vs Rem 700 SPS: Which would you pick?

Post by Whole Bunches »

My 700 arrives tomorrow, and I already own a Micro7. Hopefully I can give you some info this week. Weather permitting, I'll be shooting the 700 this week. That having been said, I'll vote in your poll after the 700 is in my hands and I know a bit more. I'm a BLK nut, so I don't mind having both.
Strongwind

Post by Strongwind »

I picked up the AAC Micro 7, my buddy got the 700 SPS.

They are two different guns IMO.

Didn't get a chance to meet up with him this weekend to do a side by side.
From what I see, the AAC is a little "smaller", lighter and compact than the 700 SPS.

Kinda depends on how you plan to use it.
SChunter

Post by SChunter »

I chose the Rem 700 - coming in today!!
NordicG3K
Silent But Deadly

Post by NordicG3K »

I would like the option of upgrading the bottom metal and using detachable mags. I know you can do this with the 700, but can you do this with the Micro?
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

700 all the way. I understand why AAC tried the Model 7 first but it's been dogged with issues from day #1 and they still haven't resolved the feeding issues so many are experiencing. Personally, if I wanted a light weight Remington 300 BLK bolt gun, I'd start with a 700, use a light weight fiberglass stock, a sporter weight barrel, aluminum 2-piece bases and Talley light-weight rings.

Hopefully, Remington has listened to the many people who have customized 700's along the way and went with a .17/.221 FB style bolt and used the .223 Rem. magazine and follower to promote good feeding, extraction, and ejection.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

A quick preliminary review:

Picked up my Remington 700 AAC-SD this afternoon. It is certainly heavier than the Micro7. Just behind the threaded muzzle, the fat bbl is .88". Just in front of the fore end the bbl is .91". It has an adjustable trigger (hope to borrow a friend's trigger gage this week).

I temporarily screwed on a Gemtech Quickmount and installed my Gemtech Quicksand suppressor. Visually it appeared to hold the suppressor centered. The suppressor mount is slightly less in diameter than the bbl just behind the threaded muzzle, so the mount blends in with the bbl thickness pretty well and looked nice. (Ultimately I'll be using a screw-on suppressor on it.) I fired 4 suppressed shots into the ground, and none of the bullets touched the suppressor.

I forgot the magazine capacity and loaded cartridges until no more would fit...6 fit in. It took more effort for the bolt to push the top round out of the magazine when 6 were loaded. I then read the manual, and it said the capacity was 5 rounds. Loading less than 6 resulted in a normal effort to push the rounds out of the magazine. Opening the floor plate revealed a spacer in place to hold the follower spring in a fixed position that had not been installed in my Micro7 (Remington sent me a spacer to install in the Micro7).

I didn't do an extensive feeding test, but 20 rounds all fed fine from the magazine. I tried my frangible loads, pulled 7.62x39 bullets, pulled M80 bullets, 220gr SMKs, and Nosler 125gr BT bullets.

After firing each shot, I opened and pulled back the bolt using a normal speed (I didn't ease back the bolt nor slam it back violently) while standing up. The empties ended up 4 1/2 feet away in the grass...my Micro7 sure doesn't fling them out like that.

Which is better? For stalking hunting, where you will be doing more carrying of the rifle than when sitting still in a blind, the Micro7. For my purposes in which 98% of the time I'm shooting off a bench or otherwise shooting from a sitting position, I think the 700. It's like the 700 is the opposite of the Micro7. I like variety; that's why I have both. I hope to start shooting for accuracy this week. Hopes this helps a little. I was certainly pleased with the feeding and ejection.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

^^^ Best review I've read so far. Thanks, for your input! What about the pics now? You can't possibly pass up an opportunity to post a pic of your new rifle with a suppressor mounted, could you? :mrgreen:

Regarding the magazine. Is it a .223 Rem. mag or a .17FB mag? There is a difference between them. The rear spacer and mag follower are not the same.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

2bad4u2 wrote:^^^ Best review I've read so far. Thanks, for your input! What about the pics now? You can't possibly pass up an opportunity to post a pic of your new rifle with a suppressor mounted, could you? :mrgreen:

Regarding the magazine. Is it a .223 Rem. mag or a .17FB mag? There is a difference between them. The rear spacer and mag follower are not the same.
I don't know how to tell the different magazines. I guess that means take and post pics. And, take a pic with suppressor in place. Will do tomorrow, weather permitting.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

2bad4u2 wrote:^^^ Best review I've read so far. Thanks, for your input! What about the pics now? You can't possibly pass up an opportunity to post a pic of your new rifle with a suppressor mounted, could you? :mrgreen:

The rear spacer has a "C" stamped on it. If you need more pics, let me know. I think it looks nice with a suppressor mounted.

I fiddled with the trigger pull adjustment, but the best I could get was 4 lb 3 oz. Multiple people commented they liked the trigger pull. No creep; no grittiness; no take up to the trigger pull. I'm putting a scope on it to begin accuracy testing. It's storming here today so no accuracy shooting.