might be crazy

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bowtex
Senior Silent Operator

might be crazy

Post by bowtex »

Well since trying to find the parts to build a ar is so hard right now I have thought about getting a bolt gun I'm looking at a savage action cause I get a good discount on them. And from what I understand they are not to hard to work on. My main thought is I liked the idea of swapping between 223 and the blackout with just swapping the upper I know it would be more work but is it possible to switch barrels back and forth on a bolt gun. Without messing anything up I know the sights would change but would it hurt the gun itself?
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: might be crazy

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I don't have a lot of experience in the situation but as long as the head space between swaps is done properly (via head space gauges) I don't see how the use of the different barrel itself would be the cause of any issues.

With that said, the more times you swap a barrel on a bolt action the more times you possibly alter other parts of the rifle and their configuration such as the stock, bedding, trigger, etc.

I do have first hand experience with a Savage Axis .223 barrel swap to a 300 Blackout barrel. With as inexpensive as the Savage Axis is I think issues caused by multiple barrel swaps would actually result in corrective measures/fixes that would wind up improving on the Axis.

So with that line of thought, if you used a simple setup with your Savage action you could hopefully reduce the overall impact of swapping barrels. I'm no expert so feel free to ask one or ask "the Google" to see what you can find out.

I hope this info helps you out :)
Hillbilly_Sniper
Silent Operator

Post by Hillbilly_Sniper »

Being a savage rifle with the barrel nut as long as the contours on both barrels are the same or close to the same the bedding wouldnt be affected itd be a matter of twisting the 223 barrel off and the blackout barrel on just need the barrel nut wrench and the two sets of go no go gauges. I know a couple guys that shoot switch barreled rifles. Even tho im a Remmy guy a savage would be the easy way to go for a switch barrel due to the barrel nut
Over kill never fails
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

I btt a post for you to look at. I made switch barrel rig with two bolts. If you are staying with a 223 bolt it's easy. If you want a rifle that will allow a change out with out removeing it from the stock It is a little more complacated. You need a action with a built in recoil lug!!! With my 700 action I used a al. stock so I could expoy the action in place, I also used a jewel trigger that is adjustable from the bottom A flat body reciever helps also. Montanina rifle co has a mini , Interarms made a mini for a few years,you could find a used one. Tika would work better than rem or savage. CZ has a nice 223 that would work well. A claw or sako extractor will help.

Pm Your phone # if you have any questions.

JD
bowtex
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bowtex »

Yea I won't be switching all the time probably just one or two times a year at most cause I want the blackout to hunt with but the 223 to just shoot and possibly do some hunting. I'm going to switch the stock to start with i like the choate stocks I'm hoping both barrels work with the free float system
blkhog

Post by blkhog »

You may also consider a Savage barrel (custom) turned with a shoulder to headspace on, or epoxy/pin the nut in place. Check out Savage Shooters forum for ideas on this.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

A lot of guys talk about doing switch barrelled rifles but I think it's more of a novelty than anything else. I doubt many change out the barrels as often as they've intended to do - if ever.

I think there are far better alternative choices for doing a 300 Blackout bolt gun. Unless of course, it just HAS to be done on a Savage for the sake of personal preferences.
pascalp

Post by pascalp »

Switching barrel is easy when the rifle is intended for.
It's a matter of minutes if not seconds to swap barrels, only 2 allen keys are needed.
"unfortunatly" I must stick to the 308 familly case, there is no bolt for 223 familly.
So I'm waiting for a Savage action with a 300 blk barrel , expected in 3 or 4 weeks.