The rifle or the rounds ?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

scottm

The rifle or the rounds ?

Post by scottm »

I have a micro 7 that will be used for primarily sub-sonic predator control . That being said I have only put subs through it and accuracy isn't up to par . I'm using Rems. 220 . First sight in was at 50 yds. took 20 rounds with proper break in procedure to manage 3" groups . Thought maybe it was the scope , so I changed it out . Long story short , 3 scopes later 100 yd. groups average 2" at best . Checked for loose screws and the like but haven't found anything . Has anyone else had these problems from either their rifle or this ammo . I did notice that a lot of people are hand loading subs . May be this is why .
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: The rifle or the rounds ?

Post by Whole Bunches »

First, are you shooting it with a suppressor or suppressor adaptor/mount in place? I ask because when I put a Gemtech phantom style suppressor mount on mine the accuracy goes to pieces. With a Vortex mount in place, the accuracy seems fine. I just got my suppressor and have not fired the Micro7 for accuracy with the suppressor in place.

Second, I found my Micro7 sensitive to how it is held. A bench rest shooter was watching me and made some suggestions on how I should hold it when shooting for accuracy from the bench. He had me lightly "hold" the front of the stock with only 2 fingers only to get it aimed right, putting as little pressure on the stock as possible with the 2 fingers. My trigger hand was mainly only to fire the rifle, not gripping it tightly, not pulling it hard into my shoulder, and to let the rifle recoil more or less on its own. In his words, don't put so much of yourself into the rifle and don't death grip it. That improved my groups.

I've never fired factory subsonic ammo; I use my own reloads and do a bit of testing to come up with the most accurate loading.
scottm

Post by scottm »

I do have my AAC 51 tooth flash hider that came with my 762 sdn6 mounted , but was shooting without the silencer mounted . While shooting the rifle it was mounted in a lead sled with little input from myself . Is this stock that pitiful ! Whats it going to do when I need to make quick multiple shots ? I was considering shooting some Lehigh Defense subs , but not going to troubleshoot with $55 ammo . What sub rounds did you end up with ? I've never done any reloading , may be something to consider at some point , but would be just another variable right now . Do you still use the factory stock ? What kind of 100 yard groups do get without bags or sleds .
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Try shooting without the suppressor mount just to see what happens. Also, try shooting with the suppressor mounted. Like I posted, my accuracy would fall apart with the Phantom Gemtech suppressor mount in place. With no mount in place (only the thread protector), my best reload would do 1.5" (sometimes a bit less) 5 shot groups at 100 yd with either my 125gr Nosler ballistic tip reloads or my 220gr Sierra match king reloads. I am using the original stock. Actually, my Daniel Defense 300 BLK is my most accurate 300 BLK rifle, but the Micro7 is nice and light and fun to shoot.

By "fall apart", I mean my 100 yd groups would be around 4" with the Phantom mount, but normal with the Vortex mount.
scottm

Post by scottm »

Will try to contact AAC again today ! Tried Friday , but kept getting message that they were away from the phone . AAC flash hider , AAC rifle , AAC stock , you would think that there wouldn't be any issues with their "system" . With 2 grand in rifle and can , you would expect a little better accuracy. Still haven't shot with the can . Maybe i should because that is the only way I will use this rifle , but didn't want to throw another variable in the mix. Not going to be happy if I find out that I need to put some other stock on this rig just to get reliable grouping . The money pit keeps getting deeper :roll: . I appreciate the input !
sherpa
Silent Operator

Post by sherpa »

I seriously doubt that the stock is your issue. If you are only going to use it with the can, why are you sighting it in without it? Such things that attach to the muzzle of a rifle can have great affect on barrel harmonics. I would try the advice posted earlier. Trying only one kind of factory ammunition could also be an issue. Some rifles "like" one ammo type over another. Also, GOOD handloads are always going to out perform factory ammunition. I have had NO problems what so ever in getting handloads to out perform Remington's 125 match ammo. There is a chance (small) that switching ammunition could make the problem evaporate. You could also further eliminate the stock by checking to make sure that the barrel channel is not rubbing on the barrel somewhere, if it is this can also affect barrel harmonics. Also make sure your action scerws are tight (sounds silly I know, but you never know). Along with that please ensure that you optics mounting screws or whatever you use are tight. You could also inspect the crown of the barrel for nicks or any "ridges" of material around the bore. In any event, I suppect that your rifle is plenty capable, just needs a little "love" to bring it out. I hope you get it straightened out, & it never hurts to consult the manufacturer for advice but I think you are a million miles away from having a viable customer service issue.
I like pigs. Cats look down on us. Dogs look up to us. Pigs see us as equals.
Sir Winston Churchill
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

scottm wrote:Long story short , 3 scopes later 100 yd. groups average 2" at best.
With Rem factory sub ammo, that sounds pretty darn good to me. That's better than I've been able to get through 2 ARs with that ammo.

To check the gun, you should try some other ammo for sure.
Graphic design and branding: https://www.facebook.com/VisualGravy

Some clients include AAC, Rem Defense, Daniel Defense, MilTimes, TrackingPoint, Ambush, Noveske, Unity, Rem, Bushmaster, NRA, etc.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Further, the couple MIcro7s that I've had a bit of time behind were shooting lasers with the 125gr match and especially the Barnes black tip- right at or just under 1 MOA.
Graphic design and branding: https://www.facebook.com/VisualGravy

Some clients include AAC, Rem Defense, Daniel Defense, MilTimes, TrackingPoint, Ambush, Noveske, Unity, Rem, Bushmaster, NRA, etc.
scottm

Post by scottm »

Thanks for the input , after my last post I shot some of the rem. 115 loads to see if grouping was an issue with these . Same problem just not as bad . About 1.75 " , 3 shot group couldn't get better than 2" - 5 shot groups . After sighting with supers I put the silencer on and POI dropped 7" Tried pink tip AAA and same issues . The issue for me is that if I were going to use super's I've got weapons for that . The reason for not shooting it with the can ,was that I just got my stamp back after almost seven months . This being my first can , thought that the flash hider would change up grouping . It did , just not for the better . I wasn't comfortable shooting the subs with the new can till I was getting consistent grouping from the rifle . Scared by the thoughts of baffle strike :roll: . I need to order some different ammo ,but already had 10 boxes of Rems that I bought from Academy Sports when they had them priced at about $14 . They are now $23 . If I were accustomed to modifying weapons I would do more to try and tweak it . But , at $800 dollars for a proven mod. 7 format , I have a problem with the end user needed modifications. Thanks again for your thoughts as this is bugging me . I contacted AAC and received an RMA# and will ship it out today. Hopefully they will find something . Their customer service seemed more than willing to help.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

Subsonics are never going to be super accurate like a conventional rifle. Anything in the 1-2 MOA should be considered to be pretty good to reasonable. My 300 BLK integral bolt gun has held 2 MOA out to 200 yds. Drop and windage will always be limiting factors.