Bolt Action SBR Project

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SuperChuck
Silent But Deadly

Bolt Action SBR Project

Post by SuperChuck »

I'm about to Form 1 a Savage Bolt Action to start a compact bolt action build.

My criteria is below:

1. Planned to fire both sub-sonic and super-sonic rounds.
2. Planned to run suppressed and unsuppressed.
3. Want max barrel length with suppressor to remain 20" or less currently.
4. Right now its a blind mag, staggered feed 5 capacity I prefer to maintain the repeater action, but may be satisfied with a single-shot follower in a pinch.

Where I am at so far:

1. I own multiple SS and Blued Savage 10 actions, right now I'm expecting to use an SS action thats been timed and trued, with SSS trigger installed.
2. Action is currently set up for .473 bolt head (.308 cartridge family) needs to be converted to .378 cartridge head.
3. I have 2 of the Gunshack 16.5" SS 1:8" twist, Varmint contour 300 Blackout barrels ordered
4. I've started a Form 4 on a Liberty Mystic that should mail out early this week
5. I have the various tools for barrel installation, as well as the Go/o Go headspace gauges.

Next steps:

1. Once I commit to a specific action out of the safe, I'll begin the form 1 paperwork and send the action out for engraving (I'll need to establish a final barrel length)
2. Once the Form 1 is approved, I'll have one barrel cut down. Until then I'll play with it at the full 16.5" length
3. The action needs to be converted to .378 - I already have all the parts to do it.
4. During the bolt head changeout, I will probably need to upgrade the plunger/ejector system to kick out the short cartridges properly
5. Performing those changes, once the bolt's been converted, I can use it as a full length until I get my Stamp.

So, from anyones past experiences, any additional details I need to make sure to cover at this point?

Anyone used a bolt action barrel in the 10-12" range? Any recommendations/observations?

Anyone thats already been down this road already and have any pointers, I'll be glad to hear from you.

Regards,

SC
SuperChuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bolt Action SBR Project

Post by SuperChuck »

OK already run into a dis-similarity trying to use AR style form 1 with this build....

Savage receiver only has Serial number marked on the frame. NO model number, NO Caliber..

Should I have these added to the receiver when I engrave my trust information?

I realize the barrel may be marked, with caliber, but it will not be marked for Model.

At this point, should/could I could call it

SuperChuck TRust
MyHomeTown, SC

SBR-1
300 Blk

SC
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

SuperChuck wrote:
Anyone used a bolt action barrel in the 10-12" range? Any recommendations/observations?

Anyone thats already been down this road already and have any pointers, I'll be glad to hear from you.

Regards,

SC
If assume you're wanting to avoid the second tax stamp by keeping the barrel length above 16". Having said that, if you decided to go shorter than that, the rifle will be considerably more compact and lighter weight.

I'm a fan of short barrelled rifles in general but I truly enjoy the manual repeaters that are super compact. Here's a pic of my recent Weatherby Vanguard build in 300 Blackout. I've got another brand new Weatherby donor rifle and Broughton 6mm barrel waiting to become a 6mm Whisper in the future.

FarmerTed1971
Silent But Deadly

Post by FarmerTed1971 »

Those look sweet!
Any plans to thread them?
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

FarmerTed1971 wrote:Those look sweet!
Any plans to thread them?
Thank you. :)

No, unfortunately not. Supressors aren't a legal option for me.
SuperChuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by SuperChuck »

I want to SBR this one eventually. I will have one barrel as 16.5" and once my stamp goes through, I'll cut the second down to 12 inches or so.. Since my liberty Mystic is on order, I definitely plan on attaching it :-)

It looks like your Weatherby compact SBR model barrel is about 12 inches, using the stock forend as a reference. I'll be sending the stamp out once I confirm my engraving can be done as I wish.

If I had the lathe, mill, etc, tools, I'd go with another action, but a switch barreled savage action will suffice for now :-)

long term, I might consider doing a remington switch barrel if I found a 17 Fireball or 221 fireball donor action.

SC

[quote="2bad4u2
If assume you're wanting to avoid the second tax stamp by keeping the barrel length above 16". Having said that, if you decided to go shorter than that, the rifle will be considerably more compact and lighter weight.

I'm a fan of short barrelled rifles in general but I truly enjoy the manual repeaters that are super compact. Here's a pic of my recent Weatherby Vanguard build in 300 Blackout. I've got another brand new Weatherby donor rifle and Broughton 6mm barrel waiting to become a 6mm Whisper in the future.

Image[/quote]
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

I just got this together the other day. It is a 1:10 twist, 14" stainless match grade barrel. Everything else is OEM Remington.

SuperChuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by SuperChuck »

Looking good, I'm about to send out 2 actions for engraving and put togehter my Form 1 on them, I'm working woth Savage actions for now, but maybe one day I can make a "Rem-Age" Barrel nut based action.. Maybe my 3rd or 4th SBR project :-)

So does the standard factory Remington Fireball actions (17/221) work without too much effort or adjustments? Feed/Eject reliably, etc?

SC
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

SuperChuck wrote:So does the standard factory Remington Fireball actions (17/221) work without too much effort or adjustments? Feed/Eject reliably, etc?

SC
I single load mine for the most part but I've hear the .223 Rem. magazine follower is a better fit than the .17/.221 FB one. Yes, there is a difference between them.

As far as extraction and ejection, I'm convinved the .17/.221 FB based action is the way to go because of the differences in the bolt. Mine ejects cases at normal speeds flawlessly and I never run the bolt fast as is commonly done on .223 Rem. based actions.
Dantheman3660

Post by Dantheman3660 »

How about something like this.....

http://arms.am/index.php/our-production/asr-300