Trouble Extracting in a Savage 10

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

robpiat
Silent Operator

Trouble Extracting in a Savage 10

Post by robpiat »

I have a Savage model 10 that is having trouble extracting/ejecting 300 blk. The cases are not tight in the chamber, it just doesn't like flipping them out. If you yank it fast it'll work though. Is this an issue with the short case or do I just need to try a new extractor? Are there any updgraded extractors available?
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Re: Trouble Extracting in a Savage 10

Post by hunter2 »

This helped mine... Contact SSS and tell them you want another extractor and larger detent ball. Also his button head ejector and spring. Not many $ but worth every penny. Before you install the new ejector make sure the hole is CLEAN! The new one is slightly larger that the factory job. Small amount of oil and work it a few times before you replace the bolt. The ejector is extended to the edge of the bolt face. A real improvement!!!
roxy
Silent Operator

Post by roxy »

+1 for the SSS ejector upgrade kit!

My BFG Barreled AXIS 300 Blk extracts & ejects perfectly now!!
SBR Gibbz G4 8.5" CMMG 300 Blk 1:7" WASP
Gibbz G4 16" Ballistic Advantage 300 Blk 1:7"
Savage AXIS 16.5" BFG 300 Blk 1:7"
Ruger ARR 16.5" 1:7"
Saker 762
SDN-6
Jailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jailer »

hunter2 wrote:This helped mine... Contact SSS and tell them you want another extractor and larger detent ball. Also his button head ejector and spring. Not many $ but worth every penny. Before you install the new ejector make sure the hole is CLEAN! The new one is slightly larger that the factory job. Small amount of oil and work it a few times before you replace the bolt. The ejector is extended to the edge of the bolt face. A real improvement!!!
Who is SSS? I'm having this issue too and would love to get it resolved.

ETA: Nevermind, I found it. They don't list the ejector upgrades on their site. Do you have to call them?
Hooz
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hooz »

Yes. You have to call. Make sure to allocate some time, because you will most likely get a busy signal the first 26 (or so) times you call. You will probably, eventually get a person on the phone, though.
[size=75][b][i]"There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?" - Yuri Orlov[/i][/b][/size]
Jailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jailer »

Well if it fixes the ejection issue then I'm willing to wait. :mrgreen:
roxy
Silent Operator

Post by roxy »

This shows the deference between the factory Savage & the SSS upgraded ejector.
Main diffs I can find was SSS is larger diameter, no tail & the business end is flat.
I can't tell if the SSS spring is different or not..., power wise??
The Upgrade Kit also comes with a larger detent ball that goes under the Extractor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanepics/ ... hotostream

I can tell you first hand that it works great on my 300 Blk BFG Barreled Savage AXIS!!

Thanks for the tip hunter2!!
Last edited by roxy on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
SBR Gibbz G4 8.5" CMMG 300 Blk 1:7" WASP
Gibbz G4 16" Ballistic Advantage 300 Blk 1:7"
Savage AXIS 16.5" BFG 300 Blk 1:7"
Ruger ARR 16.5" 1:7"
Saker 762
SDN-6
Jailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jailer »

Hooz wrote:Yes. You have to call. Make sure to allocate some time, because you will most likely get a busy signal the first 26 (or so) times you call. You will probably, eventually get a person on the phone, though.
Boy you weren't' kidding. 10 days later and I still haven't got through on the phone. Why bother advertising on the internet when you aren't even capable of keeping up with the business it will generate.

Anybody local want to step in and do a face to face purchase and ship the parts to me?
hugegator
Silent Operator

Post by hugegator »

I am going to try this fix first before getting the whole shebang.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/i ... 731.0.html
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/i ... 876.0.html

That is, once my barrel ever gets here. I did order a pile of bearings so I'll have plenty.
SuperChuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by SuperChuck »

That Axis extractor is definitely different from a typical Model 10 Extractor. The Model 10 one does not have the tail extension on the extractor.. Interesting additiona, and glad to hear that the bolt improvement even works in this case.

SC

roxy wrote:This shows the deference between the factory Savage & the SSS upgraded ejector.
Main diffs I can find was SSS is larger diameter, no tail & the bolt face end is flat.
I can't tell if the SSS spring is different or not..., power wise??
The Upgrade Kit also comes with a larger detent ball that goes under the Extractor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanepics/ ... hotostream

I can't tell you why it works..., but I can tell you first hand that it does work great on my 300 Blk BFG Barreled Savage AXIS!!

Thanks for the tip hunter2!!