Micro7 situation/problem

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

JohnInNH
Elite Member

Re: Micro7 situation/problem

Post by JohnInNH »

Got my shim in the big box w/o any papers ... no note no nothing but a shim.

I "Guess" I figured it out.. (LOL not to difficult to install or mess up)

Put a FMJ round in it at 2.215" and yep... it jammed.

Put 2 rounds in it and the thing jammed yet again..

SWEET!

Back to the single shot magazine follower.

Since this seems what I have to live with I spent another 45 minutes changing the angel of the Aluminum Single shot follower and got that to work about 98%. with RN and 100% with FMJ

Now the dremel and jewelers rouge to attack the internal box mag feeding BS. Maybe I can get it to work a little better and just live with it. But I really dislike guns that do not work correctly.

This SUCKS .. it was Very bad timing..

My friend on the local PD was up at my place as the house next to mine was robbed this AM.. When done with checking for evidence we talked about my new 300 AAC Blackout. He has been very interested in it, and wants an upper. "Do you want to shoot mine?"

Sooo out comes the my Micro7 with the Mystic and he loved it.. Unfortunately it's jamming turned him off to it. He thought it would be perfect to keep in the cruiser for injured dogs etc.. and for night ops. .. but it needs to be reliable.

?? for Robert or someone at AAC.. Will they come out with a REAL fix like a redesign? If this was reliable he would be VERY interested but as he said ... it HAS to be reliable.. lives are at stake, before he woudl get them.. He LOVED it otherwise.

WITH the shim I cannot get 75% reliability with factory or factory like ammo. (more like 50%)

I actually pushed a bullet back into the powder the second attempt. If I hole it up at a 45Deg angle and am careful.. with a little giggling it seems to feed better.. But FORGET any stressed fast cycling. Just going to make a mess and bend a round.

I am very disappointed.. I was hoping the shim would work better than my tests of simulating what the shim was going to do.

If the Shim is no longer being made WHAT is AAC doing for new production? What is the FIX if you do not use the shim?

Different receiver rail geometry? Different Box mag? Different follower? Don't tell me you consider this ADEQUATE as is?

I hope something better is in the works.....
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Well Let's try to FIX this thing...

I took the rifle apart. You can see the Box mag has dings up by the feed lips. So I took my Rotary tool and ground a bevel and polished it. Polished the feed lips.. Also took the edge off the feed ramps and polished them.

Next Jewelers Rouge and a buffing wheel to smooth out the rails after hitting them with a hard smooth stone.

In reassembly noticed the internal box mag well sheet metal covered the rails where they are machined to release the rim. THIS may be the problem. It may be supposed to be this way.. I have no clue. They seem to be a little more covered than my other M700's.. See pics below

Shim.. No instructions on which way to install it. I put it this way (see pic) to help keep spring farther forward. It might be supposed to be in the OTHER way..?? An arrow scratched in would have helped or a "this end toward XXXX" LOL:

Box Mag dings:

Feed ramp as received:

After some buffing and box mag metal reshaped:

Jam right rail

Jam left rail:

Box mag covering rail one side:

Other side rail relief also blocked by box mag sheet metal. note post polishing rails

After spending a few hrs futzing around it feeds a little better. Still not reliable enough to use for LE work IMHO. Maybe 75% with FMJ ammo.

Still working on it.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

John,

I double checked the position of the shim I took from my Model 7 and put into my Micro7 until AAC sends me the fix. Your shim has the same shape as mine, and you have put it into the same exact position, so that doesn't appear to be the problem.

I noticed you mentioned the OAL of your cartridge...experimentation with my Micro showed that an OAL of 2.1" or maybe a hair less fed better than 2.2+ and seemed to make no difference in accuracy (limited testing), but did make the velocities of my subsonic load go up around 75fps and go supersonic, so I have to work more on subsonic loads. Hope this info helps.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Whole Bunches wrote:John,

I double checked the position of the shim I took from my Model 7 and put into my Micro7 until AAC sends me the fix. Your shim has the same shape as mine, and you have put it into the same exact position, so that doesn't appear to be the problem.

I noticed you mentioned the OAL of your cartridge...experimentation with my Micro showed that an OAL of 2.1" or maybe a hair less fed better than 2.2+ and seemed to make no difference in accuracy (limited testing), but did make the velocities of my subsonic load go up around 75fps and go supersonic, so I have to work more on subsonic loads. Hope this info helps.

Thanks a Whole Bunches

LMAO... Had to say it.

I appriciate your help. I have tried the 220 Factory not Whole Bunch shorter (had to do it again) Some jam. The 125 OTM factory ARE a Whole Bunch shorter and they also have some jams too. (but a little less) So I thought the shorter OAL may be better as well.

But when testing my cast bullets that made it worse, and have resorted to the single shot follower until Remington comes out with a REAL fix. Which may be never. Or live with it and screw with it and be very careful when cycling the bolt.

When I have 3 rounds in the mag well it seems to feed better as well.. Maybe a stiffer heavy duty spring?
martineta
Silent But Deadly

Post by martineta »

I shoot single shots rifles so these feeding issues have never been a problem for me. Two of my hunting buddies fell in love with my 300 Blackout made by MGM for my Thompson Contender . One had a CZ bolt gun barreled by an excellent gunsmith and is having the same feeding issues. The other friend is chomping at the bit to buy a Micro7. After reading this I am telling him to hold off until a fix, (redesign) has been made. I was thinking about getting a micro7 and selling a SSK encore 300 Whisper rifle barrel to help pay for the Micro7. Put me down on the wait and see list.
M. Kenneth Burnett
Hunting Lodge Owner
Paraguay & Uruguay
Alangaq
Silent Operator

Post by Alangaq »

I do not have the micro-7, however I do have a custom model 7 made by Delta Co. that exhibits essentially the same feeding issues. Since I didn’t have the shim either and could not locate one, I “temporarily” folded up some cardboard and jammed it in under the follower, between it and the spring. After much experimenting with different thicknesses of cardboard I finally had success and it now feeds all three rounds from the mag with about 95% reliability. One other “key” thing with my rifle was to work the bolt in a fairly brisk manner. I am thinking that when you pull the bolt back nice and hard, that the jarring action tends to help the next round in the mag get to were it needs to be for the bolt to strip it and feed it forward into the barrel. I still get the occasional fail to feed when the bolt passes over the cartridge in the mag, but it only happens to cartridges on the left, and now only about 3-5 times out a 100…

Now that I have my cardboard “shim” the proper dimension, I should cover it with epoxy or something more permanent, but truth be told, it’s working and I don’t really want to mess with it…

For what it’s worth, I am shooting subs only, and have found that COL of 2.26” works the best out of my rifle. Also, I have tried about 9 different powders and VVN110 has given me the best results. Have not tried Blue Dot
"Those gun control activists advocating exchanging a liberty for safety should recall that the safest place on earth is solitary confinement at Leavenworth."
- Rand T. Lennox
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

My friend on my local PD is also waiting on a fix as he wants at a MINIMUM of 2, if not one for each vehicle.

He shoots in competition and if Rem/AAC can fix this he would be a good inroad for the Micro7 into local police departments.

There is just no reason ball ammunition cant feed in the 90% + . I really was hoping the shim would work. If AAC is off like they are with the gen II Prodigy core and still shiping them instead of the gen III, and feel the shim fix is OK they are screwing the pooch. They better have a group of engineers locked in a room and can't come out till this poor feeding proplemis FIXED for real.

I have personally given up and will sell or live with it. Already we have a used Micro7 forsale on one of our forums. As more people buy and discover the problem you will see more used forsale. I would be lucky to get $750 for mine. Since I have taken a file to it to fix shit on it.

Stinks as the idea, and most of it is excellent. Its like the perfect car but the brakes have one wheel that lockes up all the time. A show stopper.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

For as long as it took for the Micro 7 to hit the market, I'm very surpised this wasn't picked up in the testing phase of the rifle's development.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

With all my bitching i do want to say the barrel on the Micro7 is excellent. Far better than factory. I have shot a mix of jacketed and soft self cast gas checked bullets, and it cleans up as easily as my mike rock barrels. Hats off for this little gem.

My single shot mag follower now after changing the profile to increase the feed angle feeds rn ammo flawlessly.

Robert wants me to ship it back. I wish my sot had saved the outter box... I really HATE shipping my guns... but if i have to...
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Man, that's a generous offer by Robert. If I were in your shoes, I'd take him up on it. It'll bother you to no end down the road if the rifle isn't functioning as expected. I've been in that position before and I ended up despising the firearm so much, I had to sell it just to rid myself of the angst of it all.