Micro7 situation/problem

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Micro7 situation/problem

Post by Whole Bunches »

I will be calling AAC tomorrow, but right now I am eager for some info.

I had earlier posted "I had some failures to feed from the magazine at first (I think there were sharp edges from the marks on some of the cases, but by simply feeding cartridges via the magazine, that appeared to go away." Well today the ammo feeding got worse and worse. I found if I reduced the ammo to 2.09 oal, they fed better, but still lots of jams in that the tip of the round feeding from the right side of the magazine would hit to the left of the chamber and stop. Since I have a Model 7 (rebarreled to 300 Whisper) (I don't know what it was originally made as, but I think it was a .223 rifle) that doesn't jam, I compared it to the Micro7. On the Model 7 inside the floor plate is a thin steel (removable) "shim" with 2 raised areas, front and back. It slides into the ribs that hold the magazine follower spring to the floor plate, then the spring slides in over the shim to be held firmly against the floor plate. The 2 raised areas hold the follower spring in place and prevent it from sliding back and forth (front to back) within the floor plate. The Micro7 has no such shim. Thus the Micro7's magazine spring is free to slide back and forth. When it is slide all the way to the back, the magazine follower is not held with as much pressure at the front end and tips down, contributing to the jams. If you slide the follower spring all the way forward and carefully close the floor plate, it feeds better until the spring slides towards the back of the floor plate. I put the "shim" in my Micro7 and combined with a shorter oal cartridge length, it cycled MUCH better with the dummy round I made.

Could anyone with a Model 7 chambered in a short round like .223 open your floor plate and see if they see the removable "shim" that fits between the floor plate and the bottom leaf of the spring that holds the follower in place? Even better, could someone with a Micro7 see if their's has the "shim" to hold the spring in place and prevent it from moving forward and back? Thanks a Million.

PS The "shim" is not shown in the Remington Owner's Manual nor could I find it on Remington's website.
300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Micro7 situation/problem

Post by 300Blk »

We are looking into it and if we come up with a new follower we can send you one.
dcsmith1

Post by dcsmith1 »

I opened my model 7 that's made off of a 17 rem fireball and didn' t see any shim like your talking about. But when I was building my gun I had to swap the 17 fireball follower, spring, and spacer for 223 follower,spring,and spacer because the 17 follower and spacer didn't allow you to load long oal bullets in the magazine. I picked up all of the parts at brownells. I hope this helps or even pertains to your problem.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Thank you Mr. Silvers. I have now sent pics to Tech at AAC and asked them to make sure you see them. I also forgot to mention that the left hand round will sometimes be held too low and not picked up by the bolt (when the "shim" is not in place). For the time being, I removed the shim from my Model 7 and installed it in the Micro7, as I want to shoot it more today. Oh, in the email to Tech, I used my real name, Bruce.
scottm

Post by scottm »

This is my first post ! Great site . I purchased a new micro seven and I'm having the same issues with the ammo jamming when cycling the rounds . Also there was a lot of build up around the barrel lug and barrel threads . I think that it may be from the nitriding process . I gave it a good cleaning and will see how it holds up .
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

We have some fix that customer service will send out to anyone who asks. I think it is a week or two away though.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Now that's what I call great service...3 days from the first posting of the problem to posting that they have a fix. It tells me that AAC got right on the problem and appreciated and listened to what customer(s) had to say. With the "shim" I borrowed from my older Model 7 installed in my Micro7, ammo with an oal of 2.1", and 4 rounds or less loaded into the magazine, I have now fed/chambered 100+ rounds with no jams. Before that, I would estimate I was getting 20-25% jams.

I did order a single shot adaptor (item #632527 $9.99 from Midway) for the Model 7 for .223 cartridges to make it easier to shoot single shots from the bench. I'll post a report on how that works with 300 Blackout when it arrives.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Tag
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

300Blk wrote:We have some fix that customer service will send out to anyone who asks. I think it is a week or two away though.
Robert,

In anticipation of the arrival of my Micro7 and knowing my luck.. Do I call AAC for the fix? Talk to anyone in particular? PM me if you want with details.. I also need a take apart tool for my TiRant. So maybe I combine the 2 with one call?

Thanks...

Oh .. I don't know if you were part of the redesign of the Evo-9 baffles but boy what a difference between my old core and my new Gen II Evo-9 baffles. If you were.. excellent work and thanks.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
lcambre

Post by lcambre »

I just picked up mine this Wed and shot it Sun. Very quiet with my 762SD but it does need the fix for jamming.