Boyd’s stocks

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Nyhkolasfrost13

Re: Boyd’s stocks

Post by Nyhkolasfrost13 »

CW

Have you had any cycling issues with the bolt? Ever since I went to the range I cannot cycle the action if the next round is on the right side of the magazine with the mag in the gun. Something is cutting into the brass at the very top of the neck and if I force the bolt it leaves an indention down the entire case, but the bolt works fine in the Ruger stock. The moment I tighten either of the locking bolts the bolt binds.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I saw your pics that says to Me something's misaligned.

Mine is a rotary mag. Only issues I find is my bedding directly effects magazine as the tab that latches the mag is attached to the stock not the firearm. Right now, the magazine is firm to be latched. Requires just a bit more of a push and adjusted with a few thousandths shim under front tab. But no I dont have feeding issues associated with the stock.

Id suggest you look close at your bedding. Something different between stock and Boyds. Gouging ammo like that Im guessing yours is a AR magazine. Im going to say that the dims are off a bit. Find a way to allow the magazine to latch a few thousandths lower. Then bu sure its not torqued left or right. (If that makes sense.)

Good luck

CW

A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Its done!!

Super happy! That TRU-oil sure makes colors POP!!

CW

Nyhkolasfrost13

Well I am done with my stock... Been emailing Boyd's all day and have basically been told that I am using the wrong magazines because they are caliber dependent... Except for the fact that it ships with a 5.56 PMag... So they are no help whatsoever because I "modified" my stock ( which entailed removing extra wood that was blocking the action from seating at all, or actuating the safety) basically it's my fault. I may see about getting a longer front lug bolt and shimming the action up some at some point or I will throw it in a fire somewhere and have an expensive bonfire. I hate dealing with companies that it becomes the "not my products fault" demeanor.

CW glad yours worked out. My guess is that the rotary mag system has been refined since it's been out longer.

Would have been nice to have the pretty gun as well as functional but I guess that is just my luck. I will keep it in current configuration cause that's how I fell in love with it.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Well that kinda sux...

I have a 350 Legend with a AR mag. Its the next ine I want to stock. Hope I dont have same issues.

PM me if ya wanna get rid of yours maybe Im up to a challange.

CW

Nyhkolasfrost13

cwlongshot wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 pm Well that kinda sux...

I have a 350 Legend with a AR mag. Its the next ine I want to stock. Hope I dont have same issues.

PM me if ya wanna get rid of yours maybe Im up to a challange.

CW
I will let you know CW.

I have a plan... It's not a great plan but I intend to lower the magazine well by using some washers and a longer front lug bolt to see how it functions. I've got some metal sand paper to thin out the washers as needed and I was able to get some bolts to do the job at the hardware today.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Good luck man!! I think you can get it!

CW

BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

So, did you guys do the whole bedding thing with the epoxy they send with the stock? I’m not sure I want to go to the effort. I might just try screwing the rifle into the stock and seeing how it shoots. Or is there a compelling reason to bed it from the start?
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I glued the building blocks in.

Then bedded it right around the barrel nut.

CW

Nyhkolasfrost13

Alright ladies and gents!
I've gone from :x to :D

https://imgur.com/a/h5VQu1C

Here is my fix for my boyds stock issue.

I have to give a huge thanks to CW for giving me the idea about lowering the magazine well by some.

What you are seeing is the new bolt I had to buy so that it would be long enough so that I could put 2 washers in between the stock and and plastic magwell insert. They are located under the new hexbolt and under the second locking bolt by the trigger. In doing this the bolt now runs without issue and cycles ammo from all my magazines.

To anyone who has this issue where your bolt won't cycle in the ar mag version of this stock this fix seems to work pretty well. I won't be able to get to the range due to weather to actually shoot, but hopefully I can slip away next weekend.

So CW once again thanks!

And a big FU to Boyds customer service for saying my issue was a stupid magazine follower.