300 BLK bolt actions, anything good ? Options ??

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Cannonsville69

300 BLK bolt actions, anything good ? Options ??

Post by Cannonsville69 »

Have a Ruger American 300aac . it got me into the cartridge. The gun is pretty good but now I want something better. Don't want a heavy bull barrel. Don't want an auto, want a bolt. Not alot of options out there.
What's available and good in 2020 ???
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 BLK bolt actions, anything good ? Options ??

Post by dellet »

There are a lot of options, probably depends on what you want.

Remington has three models, 700, 783, Model 7 and a pistol based on the 700.
Savage finally put one on the market
Howa has one based on the Mini action
CZ should still have one on the market.
Ruger you have
Kimber has a nice all stainless model.

Then there are some semi customs out there. Probably depends on what flavor you prefer, features and price point.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Cannonsville69

Post by Cannonsville69 »

dellet wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:10 pm There are a lot of options, probably depends on what you want.

Remington has three models, 700, 783, Model 7 and a pistol based on the 700.
Savage finally put one on the market
Howa has one based on the Mini action
CZ should still have one on the market.
Ruger you have
Kimber has a nice all stainless model.

Then there are some semi customs out there. Probably depends on what flavor you prefer, features and price point.
I've read about all them , seems everyone out of stock ? The Remington micro 7 looks decent but no one in stock ...and GunBroker is just ridiculous with used prices ...all their prices in general seem way high.
Tnx for the input. Yeah I really enjoy the 300blk in subs ...can fire rounds all day and it's only about loud as a 410 ...and the report doesn't carry far. Plus I get to practice holdover ballistics that I'd need 300-600 yds to practice.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Gearhead works has a real nice looking one but is expensive and has a long waiting list. "The one pistol" they call it. I think its a 700 action.

A place called "thor" i came across traveling through AR had 2 micro 7's that i believe he said were brand new still....cant remember price.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
DaedalusX
Silent Operator

Post by DaedalusX »

I've tried everything with my R700 with the AAC 16" barrel (both the heavy and the sporter one) and neither could give me really good consistent accuracy even with a MDT chassis, trigger tech diamond, and Athlon Chronus 4.5-29 scope in Sphur mount so I'm building a custom ultralight with a Defiance anTI, Manners ultra classic carbon fiber stock, HS DBM and a Bartlein 1:8 twist fluted barrel.

My DTA Covert 16" 1:8 twist is still my goto for long range subsonic accuracy bolt gun. For some reasons, I get much more consistent velocities with the 308 win than with the 300BLK, not sure if it's due to the way I fireform the 308 lapua brass with bushing dies or Trail Boss being just the right burn rate/case fill for 308 vs Tinstar on the BLK, or the shitty Remington barrels. I'll find out this fall once I start experimenting with my new build.

CZ usually makes a very good barreled action but I read mixed reviews on the 527, Ruger Ranch is not bad but I'd try find a better stock - maybe a Boyd. The Ruger can use the USGI mags which could quite convenient although I like the idea of playing with longer COAL with a bolt gun.

The Kimber is nice but doesn't have a removable magazine and no way to add a DBM due to the way the stock is made AFAIK.

Tikka would be an amazing action, just buy a cheap T3x 223 action and bolt and get a prefit barrel from PVA or Criterion or many of the others. You can even install it yourself with just headspacing go/nogo gauges and an action wrench. It's too bad Tikka doesn't offer a factory blackout, it is such a nice action for the price. Honestly it wouldn't be much more expensive than the others and would be a much higher quality rifle for the price.

Read excellent things about the Howa Mini but haven't played with one yet. The way their bolt head is made (M16 type extractor and large ejector), I would think is the best for the 300BLK. Not a whole lot of 3rd party stock/chassis but MDT makes a lightweight one. Could be a nice portable setup with a folding stock.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Tikka would be nice with that 60* throw

Defiance......too rich for me..........best action ive ever felt though ! ( curtis vector looks nice too)

I cant wait to get a lathe...

That gearhead works one comes in a mdt chassis with a folding mechanism and i think takes ai type mags if im thinking right.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
DaedalusX
Silent Operator

Post by DaedalusX »

That’s the other thing ... I use the polymer MDT mags with my MDT chassis and would sometimes get feeding issues if there was a bit of pressure on the mag. I don’t get those issues with the HS DBM and I don’t think you’d get them with the Tikka the way the mags are seated.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Mini Fix by Q
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Howa might be interesting. I was not aware they offered the mini in BO. I have a Grendel and have shot it in 223 & 7.62/39 as well.

My Grendel is a tack driver and it’s action is well suited. Waitin to see them offer it in 350 Legend. Might grab one.

Another is the 527 CZ. Unsure on caliber availability but it’s a mini action well suited.

Have you thought about re building what ya have? Tune the action have a better barrel fit gat better stock and base and rings??

It’s one of my favorites no doubt it such a good shooter I DONT CARE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!!!

Good luck

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Cannonsville69

Post by Cannonsville69 »

Had the Howa a few weeks now. Very happy with it. Tnx.