Remington 700 AAC-SD Heavy Barrel mislabeled twist rate

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

skydiver41
Silent Operator

Remington 700 AAC-SD Heavy Barrel mislabeled twist rate

Post by skydiver41 »

Greetings all. A few years ago I came across a used Remington 700 Tactical AAC-sd 16 inch heavy barrel (threaded muzzle with 51t AAC suppressor mount) in good condition in a local gun store. The price was right so I grabbed it and happily added it to my collection. It sat in the safe for quite some time. Recently I started shooting it.

I read somewhere that some of the rifles were actually sold with 1:10 in twist barrels even though they are labeled 1:7. Since I was cleaning the rifle tonight after today's session at the range I figured I might as well do the "twist rate/patch test". Sure enough...I appear to have one of the aforementioned rifles as mine measures 1:10 even though it is clearly stamped 1:7 on the barrel. What recourse if any do I have?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Re: Remington 700 AAC-SD Heavy Barrel mislabeled twist rate

Post by rlandry6 »

Why would you think there should be any recourse? You bought a used rifle, as is, years ago. Have a gunsmith verify the twist rate if you are unsure, go out and enjoy it with ammo that is compatible with the actual twist rate.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Call Remington, at the time they would replace the rifle no questions asked, no proof of purchase required. Because of the time that has passed it may be different now. The call is free. Some people had two or three sent before they got a correct one. So if you go that route make sure to check.

The side note is have you shot it yet?

Many were extremely accurate with supers and will shoot many subs up to about 200 grains without a problem. You just have to be aware of bullet length and test a bit mot for stability. If your shooting style leans toward supers, you might want to keep it.

I have 3 1/10 barrels, 12”, 18”, 24”.

Edit to add,

If the rifle was never sent back for the barrel issue, it was probably never sent back for the trigger recall. All the more reason to contact Remington.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
skydiver41
Silent Operator

Post by skydiver41 »

I have been shooting it recently with supersonics (110 VMaxes and Lil'Gun) and it is pretty accurate although I haven't shot it past 50 yet. Getting 3 shots to touch one another at 50 has been no problem. I did have sub-sonics (220 SMKs, 208 AMaxes and MBC 245 cast slugs) planned for the future so that may have to be put on hold.

An outside gunsmith will not be needed to verify my findings. I know how to do the patch/cleaning rod test. I can also tell by looking down the bore. I compete in High Power Metallic Silhouette with 2, 7mm bore rifles (7BR and 7mm-08). Both have 1:8 twist barrels. It is quite obvious to the naked eye the the barrel in question on my 300 BLK is not twisted as tight as the 1:8s I own.
skydiver41
Silent Operator

Post by skydiver41 »

I just wanted to see if other fellow 300 BLK shooters that found themselves in this situation could offer up their experience with Remington. The trigger sucks so it probably is a recall item. I will call them tomorrow and share my findings. Thanks guys.
skydiver41
Silent Operator

Post by skydiver41 »

Yes, if I was really on my game the day that I bought it (October, 2016) I would have spotted the lack of proper twist during the initial inspection of the rifle. I guess I let my excitement get the best of me that day. :-)
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

208 ELD,
10.4 N120,
2.240” COL.
CCI #41
1040 fps.

10-15 mph headwind.
200 yards
18” 1/10 XCaliber carbine gas

2.7”, 1.35 MOA

The 10 twist will limit your bullet selection for subs, but it won’t be hard to find one that works.
skydiver41
Silent Operator

Post by skydiver41 »

I have tested Sierra 220 MKs behind A1680. Started at 12.0 and worked backwards in .5 gr increments. Arrived at 10.0/1000fps. Tested the same charge (10.0 1680) with the Hornady 208s and actually saw a drop (940 fps) although I only shot 4 rounds that day. Further testing will be required for the 208s. Until I get this twist rate changed I will probably just stick with the supers for now.
skydiver41
Silent Operator

Post by skydiver41 »

Update: just spoke with Remington customer service. According to the serial number the rifle was manufactured in 2013 and is covered under the trigger recall. I made them aware of the barrel twist rate issue. They are sending me a box to return ship the rifle to their repair department. I am told that they will likely replace with complete rifle with a new unit. Updates to follow.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

skydiver41 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:21 pm Update: just spoke with Remington customer service. According to the serial number the rifle was manufactured in 2013 and is covered under the trigger recall. I made them aware of the barrel twist rate issue. They are sending me a box to return ship the rifle to their repair department. I am told that they will likely replace with complete rifle with a new unit. Updates to follow.
That's good news and why it never hurts to ask a manufacturer to fix a defect. Hopefully it all works out.

Just make sure if they send you another, to check the twist first thing. One person here went through three rifles or it was the third that was finally correct.