RARR shoots MOA or sub MOA but has 8-12” fliers

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Gundigest

RARR shoots MOA or sub MOA but has 8-12” fliers

Post by Gundigest »

Hello, looking for input,

I have the ranch rifle with AR mags and a griffin armament suppressor. I can shoot MOA or sub MOA at 100 yards with 3 different loads and just over MOA with another. But I also get major fliers that seem to be very low. I took my suppressor apart and I see no evidence of contact or baffle strikes. All the fliers on paper have round holes not key holes.

I shot 4 rounds of sig 120 gr HTs at the top left dot and rounds 1,3,4 were 1” but round 2 was under the target. I then shot 3 shots at the top right target with sig 125 match ammo and had a 1” with 2 rounds touching. Then I shot the bottom right target with Winchester 150s and didn’t hit the target. So I moved to the top left dot of the 2nd target and my round hit by the bottom left dot. My next 3 rounds still aiming at the top left dot all were within a couple inches of the top left dot and about 1” group. Similar thing with the PPU 125s. Couple fliers and the a couple inch group. I shot 3 Hornady 125s into 1/2 MOA after all of this. Shot a group with the Hornady and PPU ammo without the suppressor and had no fliers but I didn’t have any with the Hornady with the suppressor. I didn’t have time to keep shooting groups without the suppressor.

The suppressor shoots MOA or sub MOA on a 6.5 creedmoor and 308 win. Also 1.5 on 300 blackout AR pistol. No outrageous fliers on these other 3 guns.

Thanks
Tom
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: RARR shoots MOA or sub MOA but has 8-12” fliers

Post by TRshootem »

Clearly, the first suspect would be the optic and or the mounts/rings. Secondly, if you are using a rest or bipod on the stock fore end, the barrel is likely in contact with the stock channel. Could be a bit of both above. Most of us have had to remove some material from the stock to free float the barrel.
Inconsistent pressure on the fore end will result in at least some of what you describe. I had a scope that changed the POI when I adjusted the focus and magnification as well.
Gundigest

Post by Gundigest »

I removed material from the stock to free float the barrel already when it’s on the gun rest I can pinch the forend and barrel and feel it move until it stops so, it’s not touching under the weight of the gun. I did this on 2 other American rifles and my compass rifle. I also did a trigger job so it has a nice 3 lbs trigger. The scope is a vortex crossfire 3-9x40. I torqued the screws on the base and rings to 18-20 in-lbs last fall when I mounted it. I haven’t checked them again but nothing feels loose and it has sat in the safe since last fall. I all this was also happening while I was on 9x with no power or scope adjustments. I was just looking for best groups not trying to sight it in until I got the ammo it liked. Table and gun rest have been used for years. Never had fliers like this on my other bolt guns. I have also never had a loose scope or mount that didn’t have random patterns. This shoots good groups in between major fliers. All fliers appear to be low.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

BTDT Misaligned bore causing a bullet to kiss the suppressor now and then. Check it with an alignment rod.
Gundigest

Post by Gundigest »

Wouldn’t I be able to see evidence on the suppressor if there was contact? It is user serviceable so I have looked at every baffle and the end cap and saw no evidence of Bullet contact.