Savage Arms

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Savage Arms

Post by tallburnedmidget »

450shooter wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:51 pm Well, I loaded up a few rounds tonight with 8.1gr n-110 and 190 nosler custom comps. Shot two over the Chrono to check velocity, running about 1000 fps. Second shot of the actual group had a light primer strike so I ended up with only a four shot group. Must need to adjust my sizing die a little. The picture of the group speaks for itself :shock:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqwsrkyenst2o ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Shot a second group with the hornadys, not quite as good, but respectable. I was rushing a little as rain was moving in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1gbka8awr8b23 ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Mini review of the rifle:
Fit and finish is very good for a rifle in this price range. Only negative is the barrel is not quite centered in the stock. It's close to touching on the right side, but still free floated. A little sanding will provide a little more clearance but it's evidently not really necessary.
The accutrigger is very good. I adjusted it all the way down, didn't put a scale to it but I'm guessing a little under 3 pounds. There is no perceptible creep and it breaks very cleanly.
Feeding has been flawless from the magazine. Ejection is good, if you baby the stroke to keep the brass on the bench they sometimes fall off and stay in the action. Typical of most bolt actions that I own so not really a negative.
Overall I'm very pleased so far with the rifle. It appears to be a real shooter.
Nice info and report!
You might be able to tighten that up some but that is pretty good. I'd put those bullets into a pigs neck/head if it poked it's head out around me with those loads ready to go :)
450shooter

Post by 450shooter »

Did some load development for Speer gold dots this morning. Best load came in at .44 moa at 100 yards! Only a three shot group, so I need to load some more of that load to prove it or see if I just got lucky.
I also shot another five shot group with Hornady sub-x. It was right at 1 moa.

Last edited by 450shooter on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Nice 3 shot group, the GD is shooting well for us. My charge is 23.0 gr 1680, CCI 450. I'm photo upload challenged, but this load was <.450, with the same charge of CFE BLK being slightly larger due to the cold bore shot. Velocities of both loads both 2140-2150 fps. Dunno if I can get another 1/2 gr of either powder in there with the drop tube, maybe should just leave it alone. I'm hoping to poke a nice Whitetail buck in the rut time, rattle and grunt music for his ears.
450shooter

Post by 450shooter »

TRshootem wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:21 pm Nice 3 shot group, the GD is shooting well for us. My charge is 23.0 gr 1680, CCI 450. I'm photo upload challenged, but this load was <.450, with the same charge of CFE BLK being slightly larger due to the cold bore shot. Velocities of both loads both 2140-2150 fps. Dunno if I can get another 1/2 gr of either powder in there with the drop tube, maybe should just leave it alone. I'm hoping to poke a nice Whitetail buck in the rut time, rattle and grunt music for his ears.
I think a half grain more would be pretty well up to the top for me. My load was 22.9gr at 2.220 of 1680. I don't know how much you can compress 1680 before it starts pushing the bullet back out. The deer probably won't notice a 50fps difference anyway
airwolf

Post by airwolf »

I just bought one of these yesterday. My stock is exactly how you describe, just about touching on the right side of the barrel. Mine, however, has something odd with the finish on the stock. Just handling the rifle scratches the black finish on the stock. I'm not one to get overly upset over minor cosmetic issues, especially at this price point, but it is so bad I am going to call Savage on Monday.

If I literally just very lightly drag my fingernail over the stock anywhere, it scratches right through the black finish. I am super curious if you have this issue. I'm not sure if they paint these black and just got a finish that didn't properly adhere?

Thanks
airwolf

Post by airwolf »

450shooter wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:51 pm Well, I loaded up a few rounds tonight with 8.1gr n-110 and 190 nosler custom comps. Shot two over the Chrono to check velocity, running about 1000 fps. Second shot of the actual group had a light primer strike so I ended up with only a four shot group. Must need to adjust my sizing die a little. The picture of the group speaks for itself :shock:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqwsrkyenst2o ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Shot a second group with the hornadys, not quite as good, but respectable. I was rushing a little as rain was moving in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1gbka8awr8b23 ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Mini review of the rifle:
Fit and finish is very good for a rifle in this price range. Only negative is the barrel is not quite centered in the stock. It's close to touching on the right side, but still free floated. A little sanding will provide a little more clearance but it's evidently not really necessary.
The accutrigger is very good. I adjusted it all the way down, didn't put a scale to it but I'm guessing a little under 3 pounds. There is no perceptible creep and it breaks very cleanly.
Feeding has been flawless from the magazine. Ejection is good, if you baby the stroke to keep the brass on the bench they sometimes fall off and stay in the action. Typical of most bolt actions that I own so not really a negative.
Overall I'm very pleased so far with the rifle. It appears to be a real shooter.
I just bought one of these yesterday. My stock is exactly how you describe, just about touching on the right side of the barrel. Mine, however, has something odd with the finish on the stock. Just handling the rifle scratches the black finish on the stock. I'm not one to get overly upset over minor cosmetic issues, especially at this price point, but it is so bad I am going to call Savage on Monday.

If I literally just very lightly drag my fingernail over the stock anywhere, it scratches right through the black finish. I am super curious if you have this issue. I'm not sure if they paint these black and just got a finish that didn't properly adhere?

Thanks
450shooter

Post by 450shooter »

I have not experienced the scratching issue with the stock. They are not painted, just your run of the mill cheap synthetic stock. I just checked mine, I could not leave a mark on it with my fingernail.