Ruger ranch sight in

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Suburban Hunter

Ruger ranch sight in

Post by Suburban Hunter »

Got a new Ruger ranch rifle with Nikon 4-12 tact. scope shooting the factory Hornady subsonic 220 gr. After a couple times trying to get on paper at 25yds I had to finally move up to 15yds just to get on paper and approx.3inches low of bull with all adjustments taken out of scope. Moving back to 25yds it's at 5in.low and i have no adjustments left and this is with med. height rings.I don't know what to do next or is it the ammo ? Just wandering if anybody else had this problem as i never had.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger ranch sight in

Post by rlandry6 »

The scope ring height is not going to have any effect on your issue. Are your subs hand loads or off the shelf? You may need to go to a 20MOA scope base, but that seems a little strange for that short a distance.
Are you able to do an actual bore sight looking through the bore to see if the rifle is actually shooting OK?
Next I would try some standard ammo, not the sub-sonic stuff to narrow that down.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Suburban Hunter wrote:Got a new Ruger ranch rifle with Nikon 4-12 tact. scope shooting the factory Hornady subsonic 220 gr. After a couple times trying to get on paper at 25yds I had to finally move up to 15yds just to get on paper and approx.3inches low of bull with all adjustments taken out of scope. Moving back to 25yds it's at 5in.low and i have no adjustments left and this is with med. height rings.I don't know what to do next or is it the ammo ? Just wandering if anybody else had this problem as i never had.
It's not likely the ammo.

Sounds like you have the scope or the rail mounted backwards, try turning the rifle around :mrgreen:

Have you used this scope before?

I would get the rifle in a decent rest or bagged, pull the bolt and sight down the bore, compare that with where the cross hairs point. Then carefully load and shoot to see where the impact is. This will give a pretty good idea if the rifle shoots where it's pointed and if the scope is pointed where the rifle is pointed.

Then it might be time to get the rifle in a good mount and start checking for level. Compare top of the turret to the top of the action.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

Suburban Hunter wrote:Got a new Ruger ranch rifle with Nikon 4-12 tact. scope shooting the factory Hornady subsonic 220 gr. After a couple times trying to get on paper at 25yds I had to finally move up to 15yds just to get on paper and approx.3inches low of bull with all adjustments taken out of scope. Moving back to 25yds it's at 5in.low and i have no adjustments left and this is with med. height rings.I don't know what to do next or is it the ammo ? Just wandering if anybody else had this problem as i never had.
First off, is your Ruger Ranch the Mini 14 Ranch or the Ruger American Ranch?

If the former then I'm assuming that you are using the Ruger Rings that came with the rifle. Sometimes they are different because of the sometimes different heights of the integral bases. This is true on the Mk II Hawkeye, and some others, and I am unsure about your rifle. I know it sounds weird, but I would check that, as it is easy to place the wrong ring on the wrong base, especially if you are rushing things to get to the range. Ask me how I know this.

If it is not that, then do what Dellet said with the manual bore sight, though I'm unsure from your post whether you have the Mini 14 Ranch, or the American Ranch. If the former, you will need a laser bore sighter, if the latter remove the bolt and look through it as described.

It has been my experience that running out of elevation during sight in is a scope mounting problem, rather than a scope problem.