I Love this gun more and more as the years with it pass...

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: I Love this gun more and more as the years with it pass...

Post by BlogSarge »

I’m liking that 150 Gold Dot more and more as I see more and more people finding it to be consistently accurate. Still waiting for a factory load, sadly.

I just got a 300blk RARR. Only shot it so far at 50yards with a 1.25-4 Leupold VX-R, but it is grouping nicely.

I messaged Speer and asked if there are plans to factory load this bullet. I’ll keep you all posted in the appropraite thread.

If anyone hears of a factory load with the GD, post up the info!
XDfan

Post by XDfan »

Great shooting there! Planning on learning how to re-load in due course.
gunguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunguy »

I'm also a big fan of this rifle, I let some buddies shoot it for the first time with my aac cyclone on it. We had soup cans set up at 200 yards, they couldn't believe how accurate it was. It seems to really shine with 110-125 grain bullets, and a 300mp powder. For the price of these guns I feel they're a real bargain. I just wish mine used ar15 mags. Heck, if I see a good deal on them I might pick up a second. I thought about selling this one, but the damn thing is just to accurate. I read all these bad post about the rarr and just cant figure it out, mines been great.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

After much practice and load work up, I am astonished that I was able to NOT use this rifle this year. I had slated it to my fathers use again. I was able to fill my tags very early. I was completely unable to get to VT or PA this year as I was stuck in No. Carolina and the NH/Mass border with work. I did make it up for one weekend with Pop.

I did take my AR, using the 150GD bullets out, but didn't have a opportunity at using it.

My hunting buddy took two more deer here with his 300 and a load of H110/125 SST. Doe walked 35 ish yards and expired. and his buck, took a shot a lil far back, angling forward and the 125 didn't exit $ was not found. Was a longer track and required a finisher. BUT it was a beautiful symmetrical 20" 10PT that weighed 175# & was rutted OUT buck! I could feel his back bone under the hide!! Deer had ZERO FAT!!

SO, this is the very first year since 2012 that I have not used the 300 for at least one deer.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Yellow_13

Post by Yellow_13 »

That's great to hear about your father, I guess it's one of the best ways to recommend a .300blk bolt action rifle I've ever seen! I should try and find something my grandfather could enjoy, he's 82 and has stopped hunting a decade ago, but I guess he'd like plinking from time to time in his garden and getting rid of the pests eating the fruits and vegetables and annoying the chickens in the yard.
However, even if he does sometimes drive his car, I'm not sure a .300blk rifle could be appropriate; I'll have him try my own AR-15 build in this calibre, and if it's too much, then we'll go for a 9mm carbine or a good ol' 10/22.

Oh, and by the way, could it be worth it to buy a Ruger American 300 and have the barrel threaded and slap a silencer on it? I mean, it's one of the main selling points of the cartridge, and I kind of like the idea of a suppressed bolt action rifle.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Yellow_13 wrote:That's great to hear about your father, I guess it's one of the best ways to recommend a .300blk bolt action rifle I've ever seen! I should try and find something my grandfather could enjoy, he's 82 and has stopped hunting a decade ago, but I guess he'd like plinking from time to time in his garden and getting rid of the pests eating the fruits and vegetables and annoying the chickens in the yard.
However, even if he does sometimes drive his car, I'm not sure a .300blk rifle could be appropriate; I'll have him try my own AR-15 build in this calibre, and if it's too much, then we'll go for a 9mm carbine or a good ol' 10/22.

Oh, and by the way, could it be worth it to buy a Ruger American 300 and have the barrel threaded and slap a silencer on it? I mean, it's one of the main selling points of the cartridge, and I kind of like the idea of a suppressed bolt action rifle.
If you find a Ruger without a threaded barrel in Blackout, buy it and hold onto it as a collectors item. They never made one, so it will be very valuable at some point. :P

The nice thing about a bolt action is you can load it any way you want. Getting less than 2 pounds of recoil would be no problem with the right bullet/powder combination.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Yellow_13

Post by Yellow_13 »

Oh, sorry, I had a brain fart and thought these weren't threaded, I've visibly confused the Ruger with another rifle.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Yellow_13 wrote:That's great to hear about your father, I guess it's one of the best ways to recommend a .300blk bolt action rifle I've ever seen! I should try and find something my grandfather could enjoy, he's 82 and has stopped hunting a decade ago, but I guess he'd like plinking from time to time in his garden and getting rid of the pests eating the fruits and vegetables and annoying the chickens in the yard.

ABSOLUTELY!

I lost my grandfather some 10-12 years back he was also 82 years young. I have his last buck in my office here ten feet form me right now. I got him up on the mountain that day, had plotted what the deer where doing so I was very confident he and my buddy would get there first and last buck (deer) that day and both where accomplished. Memories that will last my life as its all I have left of him. So, YES definitely, do everything you can to make time with him.

Here is a picture of my Grandfather, on the porch shooting a air rifle just a few months before he went home.

CW

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

cwlongshot wrote:

ABSOLUTELY!

I lost my grandfather some 10-12 years back he was also 82 years young. I have his last buck in my office here ten feet form me right now. I got him up on the mountain that day, had plotted what the deer where doing so I was very confident he and my buddy would get there first and last buck (deer) that day and both where accomplished. Memories that will last my life as its all I have left of him. So, YES definitely, do everything you can to make time with him.

Here is a picture of my Grandfather, on the porch shooting a air rifle just a few months before he went home.

CW
A nice cool porch, recoil reducing chair, a cold brew and being able to harass woodland pests or paper invaders. Pretty damn good way to spend the twilight years. I hope to be that lucky.

Nice pic and memory CW.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

dellet wrote:
A nice cool porch, recoil reducing chair, a cold brew and being able to harass woodland pests or paper invaders. Pretty damn good way to spend the twilight years. I hope to be that lucky.

Nice pic and memory CW.
Thanks man! That rocker has been on that porch, and drug back inside when we close up "camp" for as many years as I can remember. My pop was gonna throw it away and I reminded Gramps left me 1/2 this place, "throw out your half" I told him. Its still there right now. ;)

As you can imagine, its a fond memory for me as well. 8) 8)

CW