Which RARR?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Which RARR?

Post by Ben B. »

Go slow. Easier to take it off then to put it back.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

Ben B. wrote:Go slow. Easier to take it off then to put it back.
I was planning on taking a little under 1/4” at a time and trying it.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

A shootin bud has used a round file to remove about an 1/8" from the front of the mag to accommodate his various cast loads. I did so on one of mine and it helped with some of the flat point cast/coated we make. The 208 Amax and similar profile bullets feed pretty smoothly. A bit of break in of the action seems to reduce the challenges, one friends example of the AAC Remington 700 has similar feeding difficulty with some bullet/OAL loads. Most of my hand loaded stuff works fine in the RARR, but may not be all joy in the AR pistol, OAL being the key with some stubby bullets. The load data thread here has some OAL's shown that have worked well for the particular bullet used.
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

Well I shortened the feed lips up to about an 1/8” behind the case mouth and that helped tremendously. Although now the 2nd round in the mag will hang instead of the first. I took the mag apart and put two turns in and it fixed that problem but created another. Now the bolt grabs the 3rd round case and will barely shave some of the brass off due to the extra mag pressure. I took a jewelers file and slightly scalloped the bolt in that area and now all the feeding issues are gone. Overall I wouldn’t want to have to do this to new rifle but I knew what I was getting into when I bought it and for the price point I can’t complain. Still awaiting the review on the magpul stock though.

Does anyone have recommendations for a scope in the $500 price range to put on this?