SAC 300blk conversion for DTA SRS?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Techeflyer

SAC 300blk conversion for DTA SRS?

Post by Techeflyer »

Anyone out there shooting Short Action Customs conversion for the Desert Tech?
I've got the 16" .308 and it's a hoot suppressed, but I've fallen in love with the 300blk cartridge. So far only shooting that thru a Tac Sol TSAR with mostly the awesome Leatherhead 220gr subs.
I feel the need (irrational or not) to get a bolt gun, but find myself on the fence between going cheap with Ruger's newer ar style mag Merican Ranch RIFLE, #26968 or spending for the conversion. Hadn't been able to find anyone who's made the leap with SAC.
Aggie
Silent Operator

Re: SAC 300blk conversion for DTA SRS?

Post by Aggie »

I've drooled over the desert tech website a lot, one day I'd like to drop the money on one, and it would be quite fun to have one in 300blk. I don't think it's irrational to have a bolt gun, it is a lot of fun firing my suppressed AR's...but suppressed bolts makes me grin even more (on occasion I play with trailboss through my handi rifle and it's not even fair). The Ruger wasn't out when I got my 300blk having a detachable mag is stock is a nice feature, since magpul released their stocks and bottom metal I've put both my remington 700's in them and love it.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

Techeflyer wrote:Anyone out there shooting Short Action Customs conversion for the Desert Tech?
I've got the 16" .308 and it's a hoot suppressed, but I've fallen in love with the 300blk cartridge. So far only shooting that thru a Tac Sol TSAR with mostly the awesome Leatherhead 220gr subs.
I feel the need (irrational or not) to get a bolt gun, but find myself on the fence between going cheap with Ruger's newer ar style mag Merican Ranch RIFLE, #26968 or spending for the conversion. Hadn't been able to find anyone who's made the leap with SAC.
It really depends on what you want to do with the rifle. I own the Ruger and like it very much. I am using it for relatively short range shooting suppressed loads. Quiet enough to make you giggle. I also use it with load development of supers. I just wanted something in a bolt that would allow me to plink and have fun. If you are looking for serious precision shooting save your pennies. You are limited to mag length by the Ruger which can be an issue with certain bullet/powder combinations.(I am assuming you handload).
I enjoy the Ruger for what I do with it. Best of luck with whatever you choose.
Freedom
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Have to start with a disclaimer, I don’t have either.

With that said, if you already own the the 308 version, you will most likely be disappointed in the Ruger.

I am a proponent of either a single shot or some thing that will take an AI style magazine. That way your not limited to 2.260” cartridge length. You will have better performance with both subs and supers if you can load to the chamber and not to the magazine. The longest round I load is 2.415”.

If you’re looking for something to see if you like it, then cheap out and get something like the Ruger. If you want to rival the performance of the subs in the .308, buy something comparable in quality.

I do own a Model 7 in an XLR element chassis with a 12” barrel. I lose very little on the top end with supers and with suppressor attached it’s right at 36”. Lots of fun to shoot, very accurate.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Techeflyer

Post by Techeflyer »

Thanks for the replies guys!

I've only tinkered with TrailBoss in the .308 with some 208A-max rounds. They've been fun, and absurdly quiet, but I've not gotten them dialed in very accurate. Probably just a matter of finding the right load/oal, etc.

But, since getting some great results in 300Blk I've pretty much given up on sub load development for .308! LilGun is my choice for all the subs I have going, from 208's to 200Berrys plated to my new favorite Leatherhead 220's.

I love my firearm conversions, different barrels and slides for my Glocks, .22lr and 300Blk uppers for my AR's, etc. So I'm naturally inclined towards the conversion barrel/bolt for the DT Covert. Right now SAC says they are up to 8 weeks away from shipping things. I could wait, but part of my looking into the Ruger was the lack of wait. They are available, as are the other 300 bolt rifles. The other thing that turns me on about the ruger is the bottom feeding mag, though I've read about the length issues.

I have been salivating over some of the custom 700 rigs out there, with bottom metal and AI mags like you mentioned Mr. Dellet. I just didnt want to spend the money and time to have one built! From a custom shop it'd be a bit north than a wizz-bang S.AC. barreled Desert Tech! My father has a 700 in .223 that's like a laser out to 250yds, the furthest I've shot it. And my quiver is depressingly short on one of the greatest rifle actions out there.

Ok, cut to the chase: I've been watching Gun Broker for custom 300 bolt guns and so far have been disappointed until just a couple days ago, planets aligned and a guy just a ways up the road from me put one up, never fired, built by a gunsmith I'm familiar with. Small world. It's the heavy AAC 16" barrel but with a Mcmillan stock, Badger bottom metal, AI Mag, Timney single stage trigger, and jeez, all the bells and whistles I'd put on my own custom gun! Price comes towards the Desert Tech conversion, but not quite.

I think I would have been happy with the Ruger, and for sure a Ruger would have left me with a pile of money left in my pocket! I figured a short time add-on would've been the Magpul stock. Realistically I know the Ruger is probably just as capable a shooter as a custom Remy 700, but I really love the Mcmillan A2 stocks!

Now my problem is to decide what glass to put atop this new rifle! Been looking at Sig's Tango 4 3-12x42 with 300BDC...
Maybe a new thread...
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

That's the other thing with a 700, plenty of ways to make it your own.

Check the barrel twist rate. Not knowing where that barrel came from, Remington did the heavy contour and they put out a bunch marked 1/7 that were actually 1/10. The Gunsmith should have checked that.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Techeflyer

Post by Techeflyer »

I've certainly read up on the wrong twist rate issue for the Rem. I didn't specifically ask about it, like for concrete verification of the rate, but the barrel is marked for 7. It's not an older Barrel, so I'm hoping that it is correct. Will definitely check it out with a marked swab.
Once I take delivery and get a few rounds thru it I'll see about making a post!
And if anyone reading thru this has any experience with the Desert Tech Conversion, let us know how it goes!
Cheers,
Sheldon