Remington AAC Model 7

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Remington AAC Model 7

Post by Mike7.62 »

Mine just arrived today. Bought it with Cabela's points. Figured I'd better use them before Bass Pro does away with them.

First thing I did was to see if the 100 gr, and 110 gr subs fed reliably. Short answer, yes, indeed they do, and are also much easier to single load than the CZ because of the extractor style. The bolt also is much smoother than the CZ with absolutely no binding or roughness. The trigger is an adjustable style that pulls at an average (10 tries) weight of 4 lb, 6oz, so I need to adjust that down to 2.5 or 3. I also need to mount a scope and do some initial testing, but I first have to get a Sig flash hider so that I may use my suppressor, so a trip out to Barrett's in Murfreesboro is next on the agenda. The stock is not free floated, but also does not have any gaps around the action or barrel channel as does the CZ. There is also an adjustable cheek piece that should make getting a good cheek weld very easy. The rifle also came with a 20 degree rise Piccatinny rail that will also make mounting a scope simple, and may have an advantage at longer ranges with subs.

Once all the peripherals are sorted, the testing begins. Hopefully, it will prove as accurate as the CZ, which despite it's binding bolt and lack of feeding reliability is a very accurate little carbine. These two shortcomings make it a PITA to use though.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Re: Remington AAC Model 7

Post by Mike7.62 »

Follow up.

I mounted the NF 3x-10x/42 on the M7, and bore sighted, and then zeroed it at 25 yards. It will have to do until I can get to my range. Before firing I did check the twist and it is a 1/7", which I expected since it has AAC on the action and they, AAC, supposedly barrelled these. Figured I better do that before I started shooting 208 gr and higher weights of bullets, as others have reported some barrels being marked or sold as 1/7" and were in actuality 1/10". I also got the suppressor QD mount installed, and adjusted the trigger down to 3 1/2 pounds pull weight.

The next step was to try all of my various 90, 100, and 110 gr XTP's, flat points, RN soft points, semi jackets, and plinkers. The 90 gr XTP's would not feed from the magazine at all, but did single load easily. The 110 gr FP HP would feed reliably, as did everything else, and there was absolutely no binding of the bolt. At 25 yards, the smaller weight bullets went into a very small hole just under a dime in size which I would expect, as did the larger 208 gr ELD's. The 125 gr Sierra tipped MK's would place two in one hole, then the next three in another small hole close to the first two but not close enough to suit me. I will have to do some more testing on these, as I'm using IMR 4198 for these loads vs the Trail Boss in the others.

All in all I am very happy with the Model 7, and would recommend it over the CZ for the 300 BLK. I haven't shot the M7 at longer ranges yet, and will do so in the near future, but just having a rifle that functions as a bolt action should, meaning reliability in feeding and bolt movement, as well as having a stock that fits correctly is worth the price of admission. Of course the proof in the pudding is how it performs at longer ranges, and I will hopefully find that out in the coming weeks.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

What do you consider the difference between the Model 7 and Remington's 700 SPS Tactical in 300 Blackout? I have an SPS Tactical in 300 Blackout. It is more accurate than I am capable of shooting but I don't like the rubber stock and would prefer something with a magazine instead of loading rounds from above. Mine was involved with Remington's trigger recall but I had already replaced the trigger with a Timney trigger.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

Shorter action, weighs in at 6#, 8 oz without a scope. Mine is the AAC version, and has a 1/7" twist in a 16 1/2" pencil weight barrel, with an adjustable trigger and black nitride coating all over, and has an adjustable comb on the stock and a 20 MOA inclined Picatinny rail for mounting a scope.

I like the standard magazine rather than the detachable, especially after my experiences with the CZ. Maybe one that takes AR magazines would work OK, but not with the shorter, lighter weight, bullets that I want to use for varmints-at least my Spikes AR in 300 BLK wouldn't feed them well.

There is an after market option for bottom metal with a detachable magazine option, should you prefer that...

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.co ... c-model-7/

...and I'm pretty sure Boyd's makes a laminated wood stock if you really hate composites...

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator/
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The model 7 as said, will be a couple inches shorter overall. Has a better stock out of the box. Trigger is the same.

The big difference between the two is available options. The 700 has about as many choices as an AR.

The biggest problem with the Model 7 is the barrel. It’s too light. Supers on the hot side when suppressed, are harder to dial in. It’s too much weight on the end of too small of barrel. Very heavy subs aren’t too bad.

The stock has enough flex that bipods can be a problem. It’s better off a bag. It’s not floated, and only rides on a couple of small pads at the end of the barrel. I put mine in a chassis and closed my groups about 1/4 MOA. In the chassis I use an AI magazine or a bobsled, so far have not found a round that won’t feed. Anything from 1.950”-2.435”.

The 700 is a bit more forgiving because of the weight of the barrel and can be pushed harder. The Model 7 is certainly capable of sub MOA, just stay off the high end of loads.

With a 12” barrel, 14” lop, 7” suppressor the M7 is just over 37” long.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
javman

Post by javman »

My 700 tactical has proven to be very accurate, Nickle sized groups at 100yds with Barnes 110s and Rem factory 120 OTMs.
iomskp

Post by iomskp »

I solved the problems I had with my remington sps, 300 Blackout, I sold it and went back to the 7.62x39.