300blk bolt action pistol with brace?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jlwilliams
Silent Operator

300blk bolt action pistol with brace?

Post by jlwilliams »

So every gun imaginable is being made as a "pistol with a brace" lately. It works well on ARs and the 10-22 charger with a brace is not bad either. I know I've seen bolt action pistols in the past but I haven't seen many new ones that I recall. Does any company make one? Am I the only one who thinks that a bolt action folding shorty would be cool?

A quick Google search tells me that buying a virgin action to build one would be really expensive. A new action costs nearly as much as a whole rifle. It looks like building one from scratch would cost more than buying a rifle, getting a stamp and sbr it but that is just speculation based on a little bit of web time.

Does what I'm talking about already exist? If it does, where can I see it? Has it been tried but proven to suck, which would explain it not being around and keep me from spending money on the idea?
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300blk bolt action pistol with brace?

Post by cwlongshot »

Trouble is CT... legalities forbid alot of the cut this down install that... Thats why we see "OTHERS" as so popular. Registered as a rifle, built as a rifle = stays a rifle...

Only option I can think of is finding a XP-100 and re barreling and installing a folding brace... NOT CHEAP or easy. Anshutz made a bolt in the early 90's but its 22 Hornet action might be too small for the blk... You would require a PISTOL BOLT ACTION to start with. No allot of choices...& all costly.

CW
Last edited by cwlongshot on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

A bare bolt action receiver can be found but yeah, it's expensive. And you'd have to get a rifle-length barrel cut down. This would make a pistol that would be non-NFA but maybe not legal in a particular state. The AR pistol route is simpler and probably cheaper just due to market share. If you're looking for better accuracy, I'd spring for an upgraded barrel and a matched bolt from somebody like Rainier.

If I was doing a rifle project, I'd look for a Christmas deal on a package gun or a used one. Bare receivers don't seem to be priced to move. They're about double what I think they're worth.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

SBR an encore frame.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Virgin Remington actions with trigger start at about $400

Used Remington Xp-100 $700 and up
Used Savage Striker $500 and up

CZ has sold virgin actions, Howa sells barreled actions, that might be possible to use.

Plenty of options if you want to do it, but it won't be a $200 project like people expect in an AR.

Plenty of bench rest, bolt action pistols out there in the $1000 range.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
jlwilliams
Silent Operator

Post by jlwilliams »

That pretty much confirms what I've seen. It would be cheaper to sbr a rifle than it would to build a pistol on a virgin action. I'm not going to do either in the next few months, so this is largely academic.

As far as sbr-ing a Contender, that may be my next tax stamp. I was looking for a barrel back in December and the prices were weird. Carbine and rifle barrels cost way more than the 12" and14" ones. Enough so that I think I will sbr my frame, then I don't have to worry about it. When I want to play with a different round I can. The Contender is so versatile as it is, and with a stamp that costs less than another barrel it will be even more so.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
jlwilliams
Silent Operator

Post by jlwilliams »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:viewtopic.php?f=137&t=101344
That's it! Are those receivers available?