My New 300 AAC Project

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TKO
Silent Operator

My New 300 AAC Project

Post by TKO »

Bought a Ruger American Ranch rifle tonight in 300 AAC.

Tossed a 1.5-4.5 variable on it and the suppressor mount. The overall length looks pretty balanced with the TBAC can attached. The TBAC is light enough that it does not affect the balance of the rifle. (I was a little worried about this).

Trigger is better than I expected. I like the short bolt lift. Looks like I may have to relieve the the barrel channel a little at the fore end, but before I go after it with a barrel rasp I am going to remove the barreled action and re-torque the actions screws to see if it is really necessary.

Taking it to the indoor range tomorrow to check the stability of the 220 Nosler Ballistic Tip RN subsonics and get a 25 yard zero. Then off to the 100 yard range. Hopefully, she will shoot.

Going to try to take a whitetail with the Nosler subs on the Monday after Thanksgiving. :mrgreen:

Kinda pumped about playing with powders that are not AR cycle friendly in the search for something seriously quiet.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: My New 300 AAC Project

Post by TRshootem »

I have this same rifle and one in .223, great little guns for the money. If it were me I would remove material from the stock now before shooting test loads. It takes very little pressure for the barrel to touch the stock, especially when shooting using a bipod. Be sure to shoot subs on paper first before using the can, just to be sure of bullet stability.

A dowel wrapped in some 150 grit sand paper and some obscene stroking back and forth until you have at least 1/8" or more clearance when you apply a bit of forward load on the bipod. Have fun :)
TKO
Silent Operator

Post by TKO »

TRshootem wrote:I have this same rifle and one in .223, great little guns for the money. If it were me I would remove material from the stock now before shooting test loads. It takes very little pressure for the barrel to touch the stock, especially when shooting using a bipod. Be sure to shoot subs on paper first before using the can, just to be sure of bullet stability.

A dowel wrapped in some 150 grit sand paper and some obscene stroking back and forth until you have at least 1/8" or more clearance when you apply a bit of forward load on the bipod. Have fun :)
Thanks for the reply.

I took the barreled action out of the stock and used one of my barrel channel rasps and took out what I needed quickly leaving a factory appearance. The honeycomb like recesses in the stock under the barrel channel allow for quite a bit of flex in the fore end, so I think I will half fill a few of them with bedding compound to stiffen things up (hopefully without adding too much weight).

The rifle did not like my load for the 180 Rainier HP posting about 2.5 MOA, but it shot the Nosler 220 BT RN's into a nice .6 MOA group. Both loads went super on me though as they were developed in a 8" barrel. I don't anticipate any problems getting the Noslers to shoot at subsonic speeds, but the Rainiers have proven finicky.

More range time! :mrgreen:
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Sounds like you know what is is...:) The Rainier bullet didn't work so hot for a friend, so I am using my own cast/coated 200+ gr bullets. Scored 2lbs of VV N120 at the Fun show for 15.00! Gonna spend Turkey weekend working up some samples since the weather will be pretty agreeable. I do need to put some epoxy or other stuff in the barrel channel as well. Come on Magpul, where are the RARR stocks and mags? Oh, and Ruger needs to start thinking ahead and make a mag fed rifle like the new 7.62x39 version. Sheeesh! Have a great Thanksgiving Holiday.

TR
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

TRshootem wrote:Come on Magpul, where are the RARR stocks and mags? Oh, and Ruger needs to start thinking ahead and make a mag fed rifle like the new 7.62x39 version. Sheeesh! Have a great Thanksgiving Holiday.

TR
Wish granted: https://ruger.com/products/americanRifl ... 26968.html
TeamMidAm

Post by TeamMidAm »

That is a great gun out of the box! Good looking setup.
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
www.midamericamunitions.com
Like us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/midamericamunitions