A different kind of 300 Blackout pistol

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Re: A different kind of 300 Blackout pistol

Post by DutchV »

Whtsmoke wrote:You could use a thumbhole stock and modify it into something for a pistol?
Sure, as long as you cut off the butt portion and just left the pistol grip area.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
lawboy
Silent Operator

Post by lawboy »

Neat project. Be sure that this was not a rifle receiver. The fact that it was bare does not mean that it was not registered by Remington with ATF as a rifle receiver when Remington accounted for it in its production report to ATF. That report is what determines rifle, pistol, firearm or other. The fact that it was a new bare receiver is meaningless. Just looking out for you.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Dolomite, did you finish this? Would love to see some pics.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

bangbangping wrote:Dolomite, did you finish this? Would love to see some pics.
Reamer came in yesterday, waiting on the garage to warm up enough to fire up the machine.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

I still need to apply a finish to the barrel but it is done. I have also test fired it and it is stable with the 265 DS and 220 Makers. And with my silencer it is very quiet. I have not shot it across a chronograph yet so I have no clue on velocity.

I used an 8 twist Green Mountain blank to create a 3.5" barrel that is threaded 5/8-24. It has a 11 degree target crown as well. The barrel was turned down to 1" so I could use a rail designed for a shotgun tube. Now I just need to find a bipod to fit.

It is a Nucleus short action sitting in a XLR Carbon chassis with the free float tube removed. It will have a folder when finished but the SB Tactical one was too loose for my liking so I returned it.

WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Man, that's really something.

I read through the entire topic and was struggling to keep up with what / how you planned to do it, but that looks really neat.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

That thing looks like fun ds !
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

That came out nice Dolo, look forward to some load/velocity numbers and targets.

The XLR folder is pretty tight and they have a shortened tube, not sure if it would work with your brace tho.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

dellet wrote:That came out nice Dolo, look forward to some load/velocity numbers and targets.

The XLR folder is pretty tight and they have a shortened tube, not sure if it would work with your brace tho.
They are perpetually out of stock it seems. I would have bought it first.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

I ran some across a chronograph. My 265 grain loads, using 7.0 grains of Blue Dot, normally go ~1,050 fps out of a 16" barrel but they are doing 730 fps out of the 3.5" barrel. I then worked up some loads using Blue Dot and IMR 4227 using a 225g Hornady HPBT. With 8.5 grains of Blue Dot the 225 gave me ~1,030 fps out of this. At 11.5 grains of IMR 4227 the 225 went supersonic but my chronograph gave me an error and I started to see signs of pressure. 10 grains of IMR 4227 gave me 890 fps using the 225 HPBT. Then using the 265 grain bullet 8.5 grains of Blue Dot gave me ~960 fps and with 10.5 grains of IMR 4227 the 265 went 890 fps. I am going to wait on a better day to work up some more loads and shoot for accuracy. So I will definitely be able to get into 1,000+ fps subsonic loads with little work. All those numbers are rounded to the nearest 10 fps. These loads are safe in my guns and may not be safe in yours, always work up.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!